Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-07-2015, 10:25 PM   #21
ModelAMike1930

Default Re: Paint color 29 roadster

Only the ones on a street that began with a T---lol
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:59 PM   #22
al's28/33

Neither of my oldies has the period correct color scheme and at the time I purchased them I didn't care.....however.......in the 15 years that I have owned them, I have either replaced or restored and repaired all the period correct components now I have been pondering the question that "someday" I would like to repaint each one to be more authentic in appearance as they are mechanically........to each their own!!!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:54 PM   #23
Tinbasher

Cool Re: Paint color 29 roadster

Colour's the hard one. Always is. I've looked at all the colour combinations for my car and I don't like any of them. So I plan on painting it all black with a french grey stripe. I have a 28 sport coupe and the only close combination I like is Lt and Dr. Dawn Grey. But all the pictures of the cars I see the combination is backwards to what it's suppose to be. Dark on the body and light on the mldgs. with the grey stripe and this looks drab. I guess that's why everyone paints them the other way. So do you make yourself happy and paint it the colours you like or go with an original paint scheme. The saga goes on.

John Poole "The Old Tinbasher"
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:30 PM   #24
Anteek29

Yes, my '29 Special Coupe was painted with the Dawn Greys reversed as well prior to my purchase. However, I am pleased with this color combo.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:55 AM   #25
Ed Northrop

Tinbasher I have given it thought to paint this car all black with a green stipe and wheels. I test sampled Brewster Green and it looks period correct. It is a tough decision on how to paint these old cars.
Ed Northrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:50 AM   #26
Russ B

It is a very personal decision on color choice that you must make weighing all the factors of relevance to you.

For my '29 cabriolet, i had for almost twenty years been planning to paint the car a medium dark metallic blue, clearly not an original color. As I got near the point of no return, I finally decided to go with something close to what the car was when my father bought it new in late 1929, Andalusite Blue. I got the PPG formula for the color, studied it closely, and had a couple test panels painted, one original, and one tweaked to cut the reds a bit. It still was too black for me. Then I did two more tweaked colors on a panel, cutting the black and adjusting the blues. With all four panels, I adjusted to a fifth intermediate formula, in between the other four, and called it good and the painting has begun. It is still so close to the original color, most Model A guys will not notice it as different from the original color. ...but it is exactly what I wanted and I feel it is being true to the car I wanted to construct, and that is all that matters.

just take your time and make a decision on your terms.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:04 PM   #27
HoarseWhisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Northrop View Post
Is my thought process wrong as they make it seems as it is the biggest sin that could be made.
Repent!

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:56 PM   #28
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoarseWhisperer View Post
Repent!

Repaint!
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:37 PM   #29
Tom Wesenberg

A proper paint job is a lot of work and a big expense. If I was buying a car not painted a correct color I'd deduct for the cost of a repaint. If resale value is of no concern then choose the color you like.

This might be an exteme example, but just think how many thousands less it would sell for if it was painted some other color. Click on the link for a world war II Studebaker painted the correct color.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371274580675...#ht_947wt_1238
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:06 PM   #30
5window

I have no way of knowing.But, as we move farther and farther away from folks who know Model A's because they were cars that were used, how many people who might buy an A would be interested in a car that was original in color vs one that they liked the color of?

I think the buyers of the future will be more interested in "an old car that's cool" as opposed to "a car that's as close to the way it was made as possible". At least with A's and other low priced antiques. Quite the opposite I would think for the Rolls, Piece Arrows, Duesy's,etc.

But, then again, we really don't know.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:35 AM   #31
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
how many people who might buy an A would be interested in a car that was original in color vs one that they liked the color of?
My opinion is, given the same asking price and same physical condition, a car or just about anything else that is closer to original will get the sale first.

It is the ability to say "this is how it was done" that, to me, adds value.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:11 PM   #32
Ed Northrop

I think a antique car that is painted with base coat clear coat in the correct color looks more out of place than a car that may not have a correct color and is painted with single stage. I realize base coat clear coat is a easy product to use and holds up well but looks wrong on a antique car. Just my opinion.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:15 PM   #33
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
My opinion is, given the same asking price and same physical condition, a car or just about anything else that is closer to original will get the sale first.

It is the ability to say "this is how it was done" that, to me, adds value.
Mike, I quite agree with you. But, you and I are interested in how it was and I am not sure that future buyers will have the interest in preserving history. They may be interested in owning a cool old car. Again, this is only for discussion. Model A's were around when I was a kid in the 50's and 60's -originals owned by Dr.'s etc as a hobby and some hot rodded by "kids". What's someone who was a kid in the 70's/80's/90's going to remember about Model A;'s? That's you future market.

Then again, are you going to paint your car to suit yourself, or are you painting it with anm eye toward future resale?
Old 03-12-2015, 10:43 PM   #34
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Northrop View Post
I am in the process of painting my 29 roadster and I am going to paint in Brewster Green Medium. It seems to be upsetting a couple of guys in my local car club as this is not a correct color for 1929. I told them it is only paint and can be changed any time. Is my thought process wrong as they make it seems as it is the biggest sin that could be made. I left out the part that I had my wheels powder coated Apple green.
First, I think most of the replies are off point and a little silly. If you are anything like me, who cares about the resale value other than your heirs after you're gone? You have it now to enjoy it the most you can WHILE you can. Anyone in this hobby that thinks they will come out financially ahead restoring a car for themselves is just making excuses for doing what they want to do. The bottom line is that if you make choices to please others that conflict with your own needs then YOU lose!

With that said, your original post infers to me that you still have some personal doubts about your decision. If that is the case then you need to work that out NOW! It's important that you appreciate your accomplishments to the fullest extent possible. The naysayers (who probably purchased their cars as-is) will come around.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:57 PM   #35
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post

Then again, are you going to paint your car to suit yourself, or are you painting it with an eye toward future resale?
That is the question one needs to ask alright.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:37 AM   #36
MikeK

If you drove a Brewster medium green '29 roadster to a national meet I'll bet only 1 in 10 attendees without the JS in hand would notice. The green '29 wheels? Maybe 1 in 4?

Even if you went with "correct" colors the same nit-pickers would get out their Paint & Refinish Guide and whine about the exact match.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:07 PM   #37
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
First, I think most of the replies are off point and a little silly. If you are anything like me, who cares about the resale value other than your heirs after you're gone? You have it now to enjoy it the most you can WHILE you can. Anyone in this hobby that thinks they will come out financially ahead restoring a car for themselves is just making excuses for doing what they want to do. The bottom line is that if you make choices to please others that conflict with your own needs then YOU lose!

With that said, your original post infers to me that you still have some personal doubts about your decision. If that is the case then you need to work that out NOW! It's important that you appreciate your accomplishments to the fullest extent possible. The naysayers (who probably purchased their cars as-is) will come around.
Well spoken, as always, Marco.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:57 PM   #38
pgerhardt

I agree with Marco. In addition most local shows (the ones you are most likely to attend) are becoming more and more casual. Many don't even have classes any more. The odds of them having a judging team who would know the "correct" model A colors for a given model/year is remote. But they all can spot a crappy paint job. So IMHO the quality of your paint job is more important than your color choice as long as they are period correct colors. Stay away from purple fenders with red bumpers!
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:58 PM   #39
Ed Northrop

No purple fenders with red bumbers