Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-19-2021, 11:17 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Covid excuse to play hookey

Edit: Hey if this makes no sense look up thread '40 front fenders'......Got my second vaccine shot yesterday, told all the good folks waiting patiently for their furniture stuff I had to 'recuperate'. Finally I had two days off to get my modified bed onto my mongrel toyota landcruiser chassis. Yes, I have to come clean to the purists, I had to make some wheel house tubs because a 42-47 bed is too wide for the track width. But I have known that forever as I have planned this out for at least 25 years. I had a couple of galvanized boat trailer fenders sitting around so I split one down the middle. Nice radiused corner. Had a straight gym locker door with a perfect 90 degree flange which made two 'half moon' pieces to fill in the arches. To fit the 1/2 ton jailbar bed to the Japanese chassis I fabbed up a 'ladder ' type affair. A subframe that mates two different worlds together.. Picture a couple of 6 1/2' pieces of 1 x 2 heavy wall rectangular tubing on edge, 42 1/2 " apart running fore and aft. Same material running thwartship across them, but on the flat. . About 2' centers. 1/2" coupling nuts (for allthread) welded to this subframe at the toyota chassis factory mounts. My kid picked it up with the old Case and it bolted right on. :Pretty good two days and hey, lookie that ,now it's the weekend. Some may look at this project as some kind of half assed ratrod, but I assure you no navajo blankets were used on the seats, no hand grenades for the shifter. No whitewalls of any width, no red wheels, no flat black anywhere, and best of all not a single skull and crossbones or spider web anywhere. I just like making stuff with what I have on hand. BTW, IHC 3/4 ton rear fenders. Funny how much they match the paint on the ford bed that came from 150 miles away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nf2.JPG (106.9 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg rf subframe paint.jpg (101.8 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg rf bedf ht at controls.jpg (118.5 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg rf ht house behind.jpg (119.6 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg rf bed finalized.jpg (104.1 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg GBS intl fenders good.JPG (132.4 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg gbs intl fenders three quarter front.JPG (142.9 KB, 222 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 03-19-2021 at 11:26 PM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 04:00 AM   #2
flatford8

Default Re: Covid excuse to play hookey

She looks like a goer bub !!!!!.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:05 AM   #3
corvette8n

Interesting project, keep the pictures coming.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:50 AM   #4
51504bat

What, no highway signs for floor boards? Lol. Seriously looking good. You must be related to the guy who put the Studebaker bed on my '39 p/u back in the day.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:36 AM   #5
T Scott

"thwartship" Your boatbuilding past is showing both in verbiage and your creativity.
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 09:09 PM   #6
PeteVS

Love the things you do! (Did you ever get a video of the log skidded in operation?)
Old 03-20-2021, 10:44 PM   #7
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
Love the things you do! (Did you ever get a video of the log skidded in operation?)
No, but I bought 5 gallons of gas to put in it on the way home from town today. This afternoon I completed the floor framing on my latest contraption by welding a perimeter frame of 1 x 2 rectangular that the 3/4" plywood floor drops into. I am using the jailbar seat riser screwed onto the plywood floor with two fj 40 landcruiser bucket seats from the sixties on their factory slides. It has been assembled once already and taken apart for welding and paint. I think I used about a gallon of various oil based paints under the bed. Mopped it on with a 4" brush. Friday was sunny and very windy, what my dad called 'a good painting day'.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 03-20-2021, 10:51 PM   #8
Tinker

We have been doing the vaccine dance here. Who has it or whatever. Still doing stuff. Next week I'm inline for my first, and happy about it. I'm not worried about bill gates or the some weird gov thing. I have a cell phone, all the tracking is built in. hahaha just kidding. Science is good. Both of my elderly parents got it a month ago and they didn't turn into lizards. Cool stuff GB!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:13 PM   #9
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
We have been doing the vaccine dance here. Who has it or whatever. Still doing stuff. Next week I'm inline for my first, and happy about it. I'm not worried about bill gates or the some weird gov thing. I have a cell phone, all the tracking is built in. hahaha just kidding. Science is good. Both of my elderly parents got it a month ago and they didn't turn into lizards. Cool stuff GB!
I tricked the vaccine trackers by wearing my tinfoil hat into the clinic. And thank you all for your nice comments.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:09 PM   #10
KDL

The truck is sure to be cool but the pencil sketch is a work of art.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:38 PM   #11
McMimmcs

the man obviously has many talents ! Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:01 AM   #12
'36 5W

Good golly, Miss Molly; you may be ON to something here!
(Just ignore the purists...)
'36 5W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:46 PM   #13
GB SISSON

I don't think I have ever seen or read of old ford (or chevy)sheet metal set on a japanese 4x4 before. These landcruisers are a very rugged and dependable vehicle. They also have a narrow, boxed ladder frame and a track width about like most prewar stuff. PS, PDB, 3.73 gears, inline six. The axle shafts are about 20% larger in diameter than my 92 f350's. I see a lot of folks using s10 and ranger stuff, but as I have so often stated, I like to use up all the junk I have collected over the years, so my kids don't have to scrap it later.. I have the back of a shed and an attic full of landcruiser stuff, and even more early ford truck parts scattered about. After all this time I think it was inevitable that these parts would comingle in the hayloft one night and produce offspring.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:35 PM   #14
Art Newland

HOT RODDER!!!

I like it. 8^)

Is that the in-line six that's a copy of the Chevy stovebolt?
Old 03-24-2021, 10:29 AM   #15
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
HOT RODDER!!!

I like it. 8^)

Is that the in-line six that's a copy of the Chevy stovebolt?

Very similar if not an exact copy. The early Datsun non overhead cam engines were a pretty close copy of the MG 1500's like those in MGA's. But the Datusn ones didn't leak oil.

Last edited by 51504bat; 03-25-2021 at 10:00 AM.
51504bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:46 PM   #16
GB SISSON

Yes, a metric stovebolt. At 195,000 miles untouched, there is not the slightest trace of a drip of any kind of fluid under this project truck. I get it though... The Goldwing guys have said this about Harleys for years.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:41 AM   #17
Tinker

My sister and brother in law are near you. Had an old toyota 80s stump climber, I wish I could have got from them. Had a 80's datson 210 hatch when I was in colorado in 92. Wish I had that too. My old trd 99 3.5 liter 6 would smoke trucks off the line.

None of this is flatheads. Go figure why I care about this one.

Goldwings were big uncool bikes. Harley is a harley even under AMC. Like a fleathead if you worry about a drip of oil, well who cares it happens.

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:06 PM   #18
GB SISSON

Well now it's Friday and so I worked a half day... The second half. This morning I got the parking brake assembly mounted and functional. These Toyotas have the parking brake, which has internal expanding shoes mounted on the rear of the transfer case. I counted 30 actual pieces to assemble in position to activate this drum brake. OR buy a 30-31 model A parking brake assembly for 95 bucks on Ebay to expand those shoes. I fabbed up a rather complex bracket (in yellow) to adapt the model A lever to the side of the toyota's 4 speed tranny.. Fully adjustable in all directions, and with all partys rebuilt it takes the first two clicks to lock up the mechanism. Hoping to call a few pals by tomorrow afternoon to set the front clip back on and pull this jalopy outa the shed ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A PB good.JPG (137.6 KB, 678 views)
File Type: jpg fuzzxy PB.JPG (116.9 KB, 672 views)
Old 04-02-2021, 08:21 PM   #19
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I fabbed up a rather complex bracket (in yellow) to adapt the model A lever to the side of the toyota's 4 speed tranny.. Fully adjustable in all directions, and with all parts rebuilt it takes the first two clicks to lock up the mechanism.....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:50 PM   #20
GB SISSON

Sorry about that out of focus second photo. Not sure if there's a pic of this rig with the front clip on. I now also have the front factory bumper attached. It has not had the bed and front clip on at the same time so hopefully this weekend that will happen. In my pencil sketch you see a tubular bar with a 90 degree bend at the seat. I have some old hand-rail sections from a church remodel I did in Seattle about ten years ago. They should fit the bill. Another reason to never throw anything away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toyota jailbar from side.jpg (81.9 KB, 390 views)
File Type: jpg nice front quarter.jpg (101.9 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg churchpipe.JPG (167.1 KB, 392 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 04-02-2021 at 11:06 PM.