Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2021, 11:09 AM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Parking brake differences ?

Hi, I have a doodlebug log skidder that seems to be mostly 30-31 AA. Has 4 speed trans and a 3 speed trans ahead of the winch. They both have a ratcheting pawl type parking brake assembly. One is long, the other short. The one coming off the four speed measures 14 1/2" from top of fixed handle to opening at bottom where 1/4" rod exits. The one on the 3 speed measures 19". It's in a dark shed and hard to get at the mechanism on the four speed. The winch's trans is about waist height, all exposed. Last night I bought one for a 30-31 for a current project I'm working on which is a mongrel truck, sort of a military '42 jailbar. OK, now my question.... Are these two lever assemblies interchangeable? I'd like to start fabbing up some mounts after work today so I thought I might swipe the long handled one off the doodlebug and replace it when mine arrives from fleabay. It will be altered off the clevis to pull a cable that activates an internal expanding brake assembly off the transfer case of the donor vehicle. Also, is the difference in height a year thing or truck A-/ AA thing? Thank you in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holdem foldem.jpg (27.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Toyota jailbar from side.jpg (81.9 KB, 58 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:56 PM   #2
GB SISSON

Default Re: Parking brake differences ?

Well I guess you Model A'rs don't like to see valuable parts mixed up in a mongrel. I am about an hour away from completing the installation of this brake assembly. It is, as the picture shows, a thing of beauty, perfectly engineered and works as new. I am no rat-rodder, but I greatly enjoy creating well built and neatly executed one of a kind cars, primarily early fords. I thought I would let you know that the brake assembly has been installed on a substantial bracket that mates it to my foreign tranny in such a way as to use the two factory bolt holes with no welding or cutting or altering in any way. The toyota landcruiser guys are outraged that I would install ford sheet metal onto a beloved and classic '79 landcruiser, so I get it from both sides. PS, been a really fun project and am enjoying myself completely. Here's a pic of one of my other contraptions. A home built wood wagon on a 47 ford 1/2 ton pickup chassis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Olga Store.JPG (133.9 KB, 23 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 04-01-2021, 10:54 AM   #3
51504bat

Forget about what the Model A and/or Landcruiser purists think (cleaned this comment up considerably -deleted the F bomb). I for one as I'm sure others here have got your back. Looking forward to more photos of your current creation.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:53 PM   #4
GB SISSON

Got the model A assembly bolted to the jap tranny with no damage to either. I like to tread lightly among the earth's inhabitants. Well, sort of.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A PB good.JPG (137.6 KB, 18 views)