Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-09-2018, 10:10 PM   #1
Daves55Sedan

Default everything shuts down

Just pulled into my driveway in the '55 Courier and the entire electrical system shut down. Ignition shut itself off, no headlights, no courtesy lights, no dash lights. Nothing.
Had just enough time to check battery cable connections and they are perfectly clean and tight.
Same thing happened a couple weeks ago when I pulled into a parking spot at the grocery store. It just died and there was no battery power to anything. But the car started up again a minute later and everything miraculously had power again.
I guess the only other thing might be the ignition switch itself has gone bad or that the big yellow battery wire to the ignition switch is either loose or corroded. Will check tomorrow during daylight.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:33 PM   #2
24ruxstel1339

Default Re: everything shuts down

If you had no lights, I doubt it has anything to do with the ignition switch.
I would check the main ground at the engine and frame or body.
And the other end of the positive cable.
24ruxstel1339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:36 PM   #3
40cpe

Ignition switch wouldn't affect the headlights. I would suspect the main power feed from the soleniod terminal, or the battery connection at the Solenoid.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:27 AM   #4
bobss396

The trick is to get it to crap out in the driveway so you can trouble shoot it. Or try to replicate the condition. So it happens when you pull in to park. Was it the same turn both times? As in left or right. Do you go up an incline?

Foot on the brake or clutch, look for a wire touching a ground like the pedal arm. With the car running, pull and tug on every connection. I recently had a bad solder sleeve powering up my electric fan.

How is the battery? A loose plate inside can short it out momentarily and it resets itself once the plate shifts again.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:51 AM   #5
dmsfrr

A few other places to check for an intermittent 'completely dead' electrical failure.

The battery 'ground' cable where it attaches to the engine block or head.
The body ground cable(s) from the engine to the body. .(will even keep the starter from working)

From the 'Battery' terminal of the starter solenoid there may be two large yellow wires, each one feeding the Ignition and Headlight switches.
If there is only one yellow wire from the starter solenoid going inside to the Headlight switch there will be a yellow jumper wire from that 'Bat' terminal to the 'Bat' terminal of the Ignition switch.

Any of these connections can be loose, corroded. broken or otherwise failing.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 09-10-2018 at 03:35 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:49 PM   #6
Jwawhite

Yes, it's odd that the lights would stop operating same time engine does. That would indicate a disconnect somewhere in the electrical system. Question, can a generator keep the engine operating without a battery? Or does it need continual "excitement" to supply power to the coil to fire plugs?
Jwawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:05 PM   #7
bfdinardo

I second dmsfrr. My 56 did the exact same thing. Was running fine then everything shut off. Turned out that the yellow wire connections to the ignition and headlight assy switch were loose. Check under the dash for all of those connections on the ignition terminals and headlight assy switch terminals.
bfdinardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:33 PM   #8
dmsfrr

The ground wire between the engine and body on a '55 / '56 is often overlooked. It may be located between the engine and; firewall, inner fender or radiator support. Some may also attach to the frame.

The 'ground' battery cable in a '55/'56 is usually bolted to the engine to make a low resistance / high current ground connection for the starter.
Because the lights, accessories, starter solenoid and voltage regulator all mount to the body, if the body-to-engine ground connection is bad it messes up everything.

The one in this photo (removed from my '55) was apparently undersized enough to nearly melt.

IIRC, for '57+ the battery cable ground connection was changed to the body. But a much larger ground cable between the body and engine had to be added to carry the current necessary for the starter. (along with 2 more high current connections that can get loose or corroded)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ground wire, copy.jpg (50.4 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 09-10-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #9
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwawhite View Post
. . . Question, can a generator keep the engine operating without a battery? Or does it need continual "excitement" to supply power to the coil to fire plugs?
My first guess is it won't work. Without a signal/connection from the battery & voltage regulator to energize the Field coils I don't believe the generator would function.

Excluding damage or a short-circuit, these older cars will however run up to several days without a generator. At least until the battery runs down.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 09-10-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:33 PM   #10
Daves55Sedan

I've got good clean tight battery-to-engine, engine-to-frame and engine-to-body grounds. That's not the problem.
Both times this happened, were immediately after going up a little incline (parking lot entrance and my driveway). So I did wonder if sediment in the battery might be shorting out the bottom plates, but battery is exactly 3 years old as of last month (Aug).
The positive battery cable had one of those battery post clamps that has the cable clamped onto it (rather than the wire molded into the clamp). I jerked it around some and all the power came back on, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Just for the heck of it, I took that entire cable and clamp assembly off and tossed it. I put an old used battery cable that had a good molded-on clamp instead (after cleaning both ends and both terminal posts at battery and solenoid).
However, I am still going to crawl under the dash tomorrow AM and check the big yellow wire connections at the starter switch and headlight switch for looseness or corrosion. I will let you know what I find.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:45 PM   #11
Daves55Sedan

BTW dmsfrr, I have a separate ground wire that loops directly off the negative battery cable and connects to one of the solenoid mounting screws, loops to both horns, then to the voltage regulator case mounting screw and I don't remember what all else it connects to. But it is all heavy gage wire, probably #8 AWG. I also looped a #12 gage ground wire from the firewall terminal thru the wire harness grommet and hooked it to two or three places under the dashboard.
I tend to be fairly anal about having ample grounding on the cars because of problems on these cars like corrosion between body panels and brackets and such which are constantly exposed to the elements. So whenever there is an electrical problem on one of the cars, it is usually not because of ground loss.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:35 AM   #12
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: everything shuts down

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobss396 View Post

How is the battery? A loose plate inside can short it out momentarily and it resets itself once the plate shifts again.

That is the first thing I would check. When she shuts down, check the BAT first.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:26 PM   #13
Daves55Sedan

The battery wiring and connections under the dash could not be better. Later today, I will take the battery out and tilt the battery case and check to see if it is shorted out.
Has anyone used a battery additive they would recommend which is supposed to prevent sediment build up at the bottom???
Old 09-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #14
dmsfrr

If it's 5yrs old or more just replace it, not worth the aggravation or potential acid damage if it explodes.
I borrowed this one from my Tbird as a substitute for a couple days in my OT truck. It was right at 5yrs old and the battery shop had checked it the week before. It blew the top off and split 2 corners all the way to the bottom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battery c.jpg (71.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 09-12-2018, 02:11 PM   #15
scicala

I have a friend who has successfully drained batteries with that issue, then rinsed out and refilled with the correct amount of acid and water with good luck.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:28 PM   #16
1937hemi

just had the same exact thing happen to mine and it ended up being the starter solenoid. Battery goes to it and then everything electrical comes off of it.
1937hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:09 PM   #17
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937hemi View Post
just had the same exact thing happen to mine and it ended up being the starter solenoid. Battery goes to it and then everything electrical comes off of it.

Not possible for a complete power loss if the solenoid is bad. The battery cable and main yellow wire feeding the dashboard are bolted to the same terminal. Even if the solenoid were inoperable, you would still have full power to all the lights and instruments. You just would not be able to start the engine. Nevertheless, my solenoid starts the engine on a dime anyway.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:12 PM   #18
Daves55Sedan

I took the battery out and connected a voltmeter to it. No matter which way I tilt the battery, the voltmeter does not budge off of 12 volts. It seems you need more of a shaking motion to imitate going up into a driveway, but I did not attempt to do that. As I mentioned, the battery is only three years old. But I give up. I am just going to get a new battery.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:43 PM   #19
rotorwrench

Does this car have circuit breakers. Ford used them (usually two, mounted on a CB board under the dash) well up into the 50s instead of fuses for lighting and main power distribution. If it has a main breaker and it has gone bad, it will have the symptoms that you have with exception to the starter and the horn relays since they are independent and unfused.

A short in one of the systems may have started this if it is a breaker but I've had breakers that just gave out for no apparent reason before.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:28 PM   #20
Herman Munster

I remember once disconnecting the battery in a 51 Cadillac while the car was running. I did it only to try and switch batteries in it while running thinking I could get it to charge a weak battery. It shut down completely. I used to do it with cars that had alternators often back then because I didn't have a battery charger.