Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
steammech50

Send a message via Yahoo to steammech50
Default cold starting

My 31 tudor starts great in warm weather,but since it's gotten cold sometimes I have to pull start it.Yesterday I tried giving it a shot of starting fluid,it fired right up,was wondering if this was due to low compersion,or some outher woes ?
steammech50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
Smurkey

Default Re: cold starting

Check that when the choke is pulled all the way out (from inside the car) the butterfly in the carb throat FULLY seals around its perimeter. Give the GAV a healthy twist counter-clockwise too.

I would doubt low compression to be the culprit. If it's drawing in air and starting fluid, it should be able to draw in air and fuel.

Try covering the carb opening with your hand while someone cranks it over. This will completely block off incoming air and force fuel through the jets. If it starts using this procedure, look for air leakage.

Check out this Barner's site:
http://modelabasics.com/carb%20basics%202.htm

Great info on the carb...

Steve
Smurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by steammech50 View Post
My 31 tudor starts great in warm weather,but since it's gotten cold sometimes I have to pull start it.Yesterday I tried giving it a shot of starting fluid,it fired right up,was wondering if this was due to low compersion,or some outher woes ?

Yes, low compression and/or incorrect fuel mixture setting can cause that but first let me ask this. Is the starter turning the engine at the proper speed? Often times the cold engine has thick oil which creates an added draw on the starter. This can create a situation where a weak ignition spark is created. One needs to determine if this is indeed the problem, and whether thinner oil will cure the problem, or whether the battery is weak or even the starter cables are incorrect sizing not allowing the engine to spin at a speed fast enough to draw the fuel from the carburetor into the port area.

Honestly, we really need to know more about the circumstances to be able to correctly diagnose the culprit. Anything else is just guesses that may or may not be correct.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
steammech50

I'm using 10w-40 oil,even though it starts out slow it seems normal after a few tries,battery is fulley charged,all conections are tight,battery cables are made from welding cable slightly lager than stock,too much use of choke results in flooding ?
Old 11-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by steammech50 View Post
I'm using 10w-40 oil,even though it starts out slow it seems normal after a few tries,battery is fulley charged,all conections are tight,battery cables are made from welding cable slightly lager than stock,too much use of choke results in flooding ?
Generally speaking it is hard to flood a Model-A engine with a stock carburetor due to the manifold design. If the engine can spin over freely after excessively rich mixture (full choke), in about 5-10 revolutions it will clean itself out and start/run. If it will not do that, there is other issues such as a weak spark or low compression. Back in the day, it could be 10 below Zero and Model-A's were known to start. With the multigrade oil that you have, starting in the temps we have been having should almost be effortless.

Exactly where in VA are you located??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
steammech50

Have had this car since 2010,done quite a bit of work too it, but no engine work ,did remove some shims from rods & mains,none left.Only left me on the road once,after installing modern condenser,which I have since removed.Runs and drives great,the only problem has been hard starting in the cold !Since I live in central Va. that would be in the low 30's.but that is the only problem.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
Purdy Swoft

My guess is weak spark. When I tried using Motorcraft TT-10 spark plugs my AA flooded easily and didn't crank good. I use and recommend Champion W-18 spark plugs. W-18 plugs are a point higher heat range than Champion W16 Y and make a noticable improvement in better cranking and run cleaner. The model A venders don't handle the W-18 plugs. The Champion W-18 plugs can usually be had overnight from NAPA and other parts houses. The order number for the Champion W-18 plugs is 518
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
Veger

Past 3 days our Truck would not start. Thinking the battery is dead I charged it up but that didn't work. Lights worked and the likes but the starter would Not turn at all Nothing. Took the starter button off and cover cleaned all that out and the battery cables and post and still Nothing GRRRRR. Wake up this morning to 20 Degrees COLD lol and upset about our new old truck not working and still Nothing. Thinking about the Cold and what to do I figured I would at least turn it over and see if the starter was stuck or anything to help, and still nothing GRRR. SO doing what any newbe would do I pulled the choke out and hand cranked it. Two turns I got a sputter so I turned the choke off and two more cranks and the damm thing started Right UP HAHAHAHA. My first Model AA crank start and it worked out GREAT. Pulled the truck out front for the whole world to see thinking I would have to repeat the lesson learned this evening to park it. Once I turned it off I go what the hay and it started right up with the starter GOFIGURE. Sure Hope yours is as easy to fix But DARN IT was COLD this morning lol
Veger is offline   Reply With Quote