Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-15-2021, 06:55 PM   #21
Conaway2

Default Re: whats the best & worst car to buy in 1930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Model A Ford hands down.

1960 Popular Mechanics had an article that said the Model A Ford was by far the best car for the money EVER sold in America, and was built with quality components.

1930 only got better with the improvements over '28-'29.... stainless steel body trim components come to mind right off.
Jeff - do you know where to get a copy of that article ?

Thanks - Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:11 PM   #22
ronn

Yes JM, a Buick Marquette- cheapest of the line was 990.

but I would have just bought a "demonstrator" with a 1000 or two of miles on it.

ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:59 PM   #23
ericr

wasn't there some specific dividing line for price that separated most brands into categories, like above or below 1,000 dollars?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:10 PM   #24
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
Maybe Henry could have afforded to build the T until his death, but could he have sold it? 1923 was the high water mark for the T. After that, production and price dropped every year as customers bought other makes with more modern features. During 1929, production increased to a pre-1926 level. Then the crash happened and production again fell off. I submit the crash and consequent depression, rather than the A, was the reason for Ford's lack of profitability through the 30s and WW2. No doubt the T put the world on wheels and made Ford rich. But I have to wonder whether he might not have become even richer if he hadn't stubbornly clung to it, and had introduced the A a few years earlier.
Based purely on a business decision your comments are sound. My point is Ford is indicted for a lack of basic business skills in his desire to continue with the T..I contend it was arrogance,he could continue regardless of profit..in full knowledge of the violation of a basic business tenet, "the customer is always right"...Those who criticize him easily point to a lack of basic business accumen,that doesn't square with the man's achievements.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:12 PM   #25
JoeCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm29henry View Post
How much did the Buick cost new in “1930”!!! I looked up Pontiac it was $850.00 new , I would have rather picked a 1930 Oldsmobile but they cost $900.00 new and keeping with the original post a new car no more than $850.Or I guess you could buy a good used car . I really am enjoying this post it really got me thinking and I am actually learning .
"Buy a good used car" ... made me think. I'll bet back in 1930 era there no "good used cars" to be had. I suspect that used car stock consisted of only VERY used old Model T's and such.

Joe B
JoeCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 05:47 AM   #26
ronn

on the worst car note-

Ild guess something like an Austin............
Old 01-16-2021, 08:19 AM   #27
nkaminar

I vote for a Toyota as being the best car of 1930. Baring that I would vote for a Duesenberg. By 1930 most of the 15 million Model T's were off the road. That should tell you something.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:03 AM   #28
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
1934 Plymouth would have been my best choice. Worst choices would be any cars with a body by Fisher, a car with knee-action front suspension, and any car with a vacuum shifted transmission.

Bob what is the deal with the vac shift transmissions? I have an old Packard manaual that talks about those. I have never seen one, rode in one, or even gotten to talk to anyone that knew anything about them.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:05 AM   #29
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
1934 Plymouth would have been my best choice. Worst choices would be any cars with a body by Fisher, a car with knee-action front suspension, and any car with a vacuum shifted transmission.

My Dad was born Dec 1939. When he was a youngin' he had a 34 Plymouth coupe. He paid $50 for it, drove it for a year and sold it for $50. He thought he was really doin' somethin'. Now he wishes he had it back BIG TIME!
Old 01-16-2021, 09:14 AM   #30
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Model A Ford hands down.

1960 Popular Mechanics had an article that said the Model A Ford was by far the best car for the money EVER sold in America, and was built with quality components.

1930 only got better with the improvements over '28-'29.... stainless steel body trim components come to mind right off.

This is kinda hard to argue with for the popularity, the design, and the price....

My Grandfather had a 30 Ford Coupe when he was Truant Officer in Gallia County. He said he had to furnish his own car for the job. In his lifetime he always leaned towards Oldsmobile. Said he had 1 Chevrolet, and it used a lot of gas.

My Grandfather also said they were good design, price was good, and if they quit on ya you could get em goin' again. Guess that wasn't the original question, but there is something to that.

I did not know that Chevrolets were succeptable to broken axles. At the 1997 national meet in Dayton, Ohio I saw a young man bring his A into the repair tent with a broken axle. I remember that it took a number of men to get it in there, and up on the jack stands. I can only imagine being away from home, and having a major breakdown like that. Plenty of good help was at hand though... God bless all the guys that helped fix it!

in 1930... well as for now (present day) there certainly are more parts for As than anything. Try fining a part for a REO, or a "big Buick", price aside.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:23 PM   #31
Russ B

My dad went through that exercise around 1930. He had his almost new 1929 cabriolet that i eventually got, but he hated the brakes that needed too much adjustment. He gave the cabriolet to his mother and bought a used 1928 Chrysler touring, with hydraulic brakes, oil pressure and water temperature gauges. Except for a depression era Chevy and Olds, he was a Mopar guy the rest of his life.

When I rebuilt the 29 cabriolet about ten years ago, I added a 1928 Chrysler set of gauges and a 37 Olds heater.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:30 PM   #32
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ B View Post
My dad went through that exercise around 1930. He had his almost new 1929 cabriolet that i eventually got, but he hated the brakes that needed too much adjustment. He gave the cabriolet to his mother and bought a used 1928 Chrysler touring, with hydraulic brakes, oil pressure and water temperature gauges. Except for a depression era Chevy and Olds, he was a Mopar guy the rest of his life.

When I rebuilt the 29 cabriolet about ten years ago, I added a 1928 Chrysler set of gauges and a 37 Olds heater.
I don't mind my linkage brakes, now that I overhauled everything, and put on equalizing wedges, and cast iron drums. Once ya get everything all adjusted it works quite well.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:00 PM   #33
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
I vote for a Toyota as being the best car of 1930. Baring that I would vote for a Duesenberg. By 1930 most of the 15 million Model T's were off the road. That should tell you something.
Toyota only really got their quality control sorted in the 60's. Toyota 4wd's became a thing here in the mid 60's and replaced the Land Rovers which required maintenance every weekend. Toyota sent people over here to check on their vehicles and fix anything that wasn't working, on the production line.

Things have changed in recent times and there is now a class action against Toyota quality as their 4wd's were marketed as "unbreakable"...
http://www.toyota-myanmar.com/about-...surance-system
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:10 AM   #34
31Abone

I read the first Toyota car was 1936 it was copied after 36 desoto airflow ..PS I had a nice orig. 31 Durant sdn with small flat six a good running car..also had a nice 30 Nash sdn small series flat six another good runner..Ford was under a lot of pressure I think in 1930
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:00 AM   #35
ronn

You are right 31- chevy was cleaning henrys clock with their 6 cylinder.

A lot more car for a little more $