Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-19-2019, 08:36 PM   #1
31Abone

Default 32 PU steering box tilt adjustment ?

Put a low mile used steer box in 32 pickup ,now the column wont come up to dash conection with out putting it in a lot of strain ..whats going on here ?? I loosened 3 bolts on frame and 4 nuts on box still nothing ,,don;t want to elongate holes in frame..sc
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:49 PM   #2
Flathead Fever

Default Re: 32 PU steering box tilt adjustment ?

If I remember correctly? There is a 1932 service bulletin about this. In the beginning there were different '32 pickup Boxes and a passenger car boxes. Same box except the three mounting holes were in slightly different locations. Then Ford elongated the three mounting holes in the frame so they only had to produce one box that could be used on either the cars or pickups. I think your going to need the early '32 pickup mounting flange? Don't screw up your '32 frame by elongating the holes. Maybe stick a spacer between the column lock and the dash for now?

The dash tunnel between the firewall and dash are also different lengths on the '32 pickup and car. That different distance must be what changes the angle of the steering column.

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 01-19-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:37 PM   #3
Fordors

When you changed the steering box to the passenger car box did you use your pickup pitman arm? The correct pitman will have a B stamped on it. If you have a pitman stamped A then with the steering box centered your drag link will not be the correct length.
While I don’t know when the frames were changed to the elongated holes unless you are a purist with a perfectly restored vehicle I see nothing wrong with modifying the holes to accommodate the sector housing on your low mileage box.
If you want I think I can provide dimensions for that.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:57 PM   #4
DavidG

Even if you elongate the holes in the frame you still have to have the 'B' pitman arm. If you still have the steering gear that came with your truck, just switch the sector housings that attach to the frame rather than elongate the holes. Everything else is the same between the passenger car and commercial vehicle steering gears.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:22 PM   #5
31Abone

Pitman arm is a non problem,its the stock PU arm..yes the fellow I bot box from did not know if it was a PU or car type early or late .. ..I get full travel with front end jacked up.. Its the tilt of column thats the problem..thinking of using a smaller bolt diamater grade 8 in the 3 bolt frame conections,should give column more travel without screwing up a good stock frame,sure is a lot to learn on these 32's, I also have a tudor thats going to need some TLC..tnx mch all ..sc
Old 01-19-2019, 11:33 PM   #6
DavidG

B-suffix sector housings are not all that rare. Far better to have the right combination of parts than skimp on the attaching bolts. Check with Michael at thirdgenautomotive.com.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #7
Fordors

With some careful thought the holes can be elongated and in no way would this procedure be considered a hack job on “....a good stock frame”. The low mileage steering box you have substituted may well have a less worn sector shaft bushing compared to the Commercial sector housing you will be replacing it with.
Your truck, your choice but to me rat tail filing the bolt holes 5/32” to elongate them is the easy way to accomplish what you need.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:03 PM   #8
DavidG

In your opinion.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:42 PM   #9
my4dv8

If you elongate the frame holes and tilt the column up you may alter the angle of the column drop in relation to the dash and have issues bolting the column drop to the dash.
I would be uneasy with slotted frame holes.
We looked at putting an F100 box that had been rebuilt to fit a 32 in a 32 pickup but it was a built to fit a passenger 32 not a pickup so the column drop was probably 4” down fron the dash when bolted to the frame in a pickup.

Last edited by my4dv8; 01-20-2019 at 02:42 PM.
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:02 PM   #10
32phil

DavidG is on the money. Better to use the pick up sector housing. I'm away from all my stuff but there is an obvious difference in the housings. As DavidG stated they are not that tough to find.
As far as the F100 box, again the mounting in the frame and or box dictate the angle of the steering shaft as it mounts to frame and lands on the bottom of the dash.
On F1 boxes used in 32 passenger cars.... the angle is different..... because...……….. the worm gear mounts under the sector shaft. If you just elongate the holes the steering wheel angle will be uncomfortable. Check out my Instagram page 1932phil and you will see the spacer I made to fill the 1" space between the stock dash and column drop.
Also the four bolts on the steering box are NOT there to adjust the angle of the column they are there for the adjustment sequence.
The best advice I can give is to "follow the Service Bulletin Instructions to the letter" as far as adjusting the steering box.

Last edited by 32phil; 01-20-2019 at 02:06 PM. Reason: add info
32phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:00 PM   #11
Andy

Page 73 of the November 1932 Ford factory service manuel discusses and shows how to slot the holes. They state the commecial housing would no longer be serviced and the frame holes should be slotted when installing new steering boxes in commercial vehicles. They said that all frames would get the slotted holes.
I have a very late untouched frame that has the slotted holes.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:10 PM   #12
31Abone

I soved the column tilt in my 32 PU with a car steer box..went to 1/4" grade 8 bolts in the 3 bolt frame.works good now..kind of a haywire fix ..but did not alter stock frame ..someday if a purest wants to fix it they can..sc
Old 01-23-2019, 05:28 PM   #13
rich b

1/4" bolts; wow.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:21 PM   #14
tubman

But they're "Grade 8".
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:50 PM   #15
Bob C

It's just a driver.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:31 AM   #16
31Abone

Well if you fine engineers think I should change bolt size ..by all means it will be done .!!
Old 01-24-2019, 07:19 AM   #17
Fordors

My “opinion” was expressed earlier. While not as expedient as your solution it is a safer alternative as well as being the way the factory accomplished it. Your truck, your choice, but above all stay safe.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:47 AM   #18
Andy

See post 11, Rat tailing the holes was a factory procedure per the service manual.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:08 AM   #19
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Abone View Post
Well if you fine engineers think I should change bolt size ..by all means it will be done .!!
The shear strength of a 1/4 inch bolt (grade 8) is 55% of a 5/16 inch bolt and 44% of a 3/8 inch bolt. So you are reducing by around half what the Ford engineers consider the proper safety margin for a steering box mount. You could probably get away with it, but not sure a steering box is the place to push the safety margins.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:02 PM   #20
my4dv8

Exactly what Seery says.
They have not failed- - - Yet.

Last edited by my4dv8; 01-25-2019 at 01:59 PM.
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote