Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-24-2019, 04:00 PM   #1
Mulletwagon

Default Shackle Bore Alignment

Just installed a new rear spring while unsprung. Looks like the spring and perch bores will not align for the insertion of the shackle shafts unless the spring is fully spread with a full length spreader and the axle is lifted to the natural ride height. Don't think I can safely do the job with a half spring spreader. Any insight on aligning the spring and perch bores ?
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:35 PM   #2
Dennisfly

Default Re: Shackle Bore Alignment

I just did this with a full length spreader, the car on jack stands at the frame just behind the rear running board bracket, and a floor jack under the differential just to replace one shackle. The procedure is in Les Andrews' red book. There is a lot of power in that spring. The spring spreader was beefy but it was bowed like a barbell with a guy lifting 500+ pounds. I had to get a pipe extension for leverage to turn the nuts on the spreader. I also had to use a pry bar to to extend the other installed shackle to the horizontal position for maximum length to reach the second shackle. It worked, but it made me nervous. Be careful and use the right tools. I changed a bushing and I could not have done it without the bushing driver tool (about $10 online).
Old 12-24-2019, 07:58 PM   #3
mike657894

I hook up everything except the last shackle and use the spare tire jack from a truck and a block of 4x4. that spring doesnt weigh as much as a truck. spins easy. travels right over. lift the axle with a floor jack. hard to remember might have had a chunk of wood under it to lift spring off the axle. then drive that out with a hammer.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:34 AM   #4
sofield

Since you have the spring in place leave the u-bolts loose which will give the spring a little movement to shift as you install shackles. Then with the spring spreader in place go back tighten the u-bolts.
sofield is offline   Reply With Quote