Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-28-2019, 10:49 AM   #21
19Fordy

Default Re: What is the price of a rebuilt flathead??

Ron, You have been building flatty's for decades. A fair price would be whatever YOU would charge to rebuild that engine to "STOCK" and then test it on an engine stand.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:01 AM   #22
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Might call a couple of shops and see if they would provide a quote.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:13 AM   #23
Bored&Stroked

Yeah - it is really tough to sell ANY assembled engine unless that is your business, you have great marketing, you do it day in/out, have tons of references, have an online/social presence and a reputation that matches. This is even true in high-end SBC builds.

I just sourced all the parts to build a 520 HP 383 SBC stroker - 4 bolt main 350 block, high quality forged crank, billet steel rods, Weisco pistons, AFR heads, custom roller cam, etc.. Balanced, square decked, windage tray, select oil pump, road-race oil pan, etc, etc, etc.. I have about $6000 in the engine - with me doing all the selection, parts purchasing, assembly and detailed work.

Imagine if I tried to put it on eBay and sell it. The typical buyer sees a stroker 383 SBC from a variety of vendors that makes 500 HP - and is going to pay $5000 - $6000 for it (turnkey).

The challenge is that you get what THEY put together and the details mater to me:

-> Mine has a quality Manley forged crank - theirs has a SCAT 9000 cast crank
-> Mine has Manley billet steel rods - theirs has SCAT forged rods
-> Mine has a custom roller cam and Harlan-Sharpe rockers - theirs is an off-the-shelf CompCams roller and cheap Chinese rockers.
-> Mine has AFR heads with the good valves and springs - theirs are Chinese knock-offs with much lower quality components.

The problem is that the average person doesn't know about all the details - they see 500 HP and that is it! Also, every one of these engines looks GREAT on the outside.

Having a custom built engine by somebody who really knows the details is going to cost you a lot of money - if it's a flathead probably 2X what you'd think.

Some people will pay for one-off custom engines (and have the $$$ it takes) . . . but that crowd has dwindled in size over the years - we surely don't have enough "customers" in the flathead world.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #24
FortyNiner

I paid about $3k for machining and new pistons /rods/bearings in suburban Milwaukee last year. The shop installed the valves and I handled the rest. Stock build.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:48 PM   #25
tubman

When I did my 258" flathead, the machine shop bill was right around $1800, which resulted in a complete short block. There was also a separate charge of $150 for balancing. It's not a "stock" engine, but the machine work did not include anything that wouldn't be needed on a stock rebuild.

This was at the NAPA in Baxter, MN and the job was taken on a "fill-in" basis. The machinist there had formerly done a lot on 8N and 9N Ford tractor engines, although he had never done a V8 flathead. The resulting engine seems to be perfect (except for the Speedway Motors oil pump that I supplied and had to be replaced with a Ford pump).

Last edited by tubman; 10-28-2019 at 08:33 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:14 PM   #26
30aadoodlebug

Ron, I see you are in Vermont! Im also a Vermonter, but sadly now live in Taxachusetts. Cost for one just done was about $4000 all things said and done. hope that helps.
30aadoodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:16 PM   #27
30aadoodlebug

Thats machine shop time and my time and parts
30aadoodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:48 PM   #28
Ronnieroadster

For a completely STOCK rebuild with no cracks needing repair, using the stock cam, stock rods that are rebuilt, stock crank reground to next under size, original front cover and stock intake manifold. With everything else internal replaced with new parts all machine work and assembly the going price is in the area of $4500.00 to $5000.00
Labor costs money as well as all the new parts.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:38 PM   #29
Ol' Ron

Allow me to tell you what the stock engine will be made of
Good block
Good crank and rods (matched set)
good used .040 pistons. Measured cam bearings OK
Grind all the valves & Seats original lifters.
8BA pan & 10: flywheel
Checked original oil pump OK
t
Original stock Heads (Milled)
stock intake
Buyer must furnish carb and dis. i'll run the enginr with my stuff, but don't have any spare ones
I also have a setof 8BA water pumps, probably should be rebuilt.

I'm supervising the build, my studen is a young 73 years old, Gota teach these young ones sumpin
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:34 PM   #30
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Allow me to tell you what the stock engine will be made of
Good block
Good crank and rods (matched set)
good used .040 pistons. Measured cam bearings OK
Grind all the valves & Seats original lifters.
8BA pan & 10: flywheel
Checked original oil pump OK
t
Original stock Heads (Milled)
stock intake
Buyer must furnish carb and dis. i'll run the enginr with my stuff, but don't have any spare ones
I also have a setof 8BA water pumps, probably should be rebuilt.

I'm supervising the build, my studen is a young 73 years old, Gota teach these young ones sumpin

Ron what you list is far from what one would call a rebuild. Its more like a rattle can rebuild. I have seen similar jobs in the past the owners thinking they had a complete rebuild only to discover that was not the case. Actually have one in the shop at the moment not a rebuild but more a partial clean up and the one Im dealing with was not a very good clean up! Teaching to do it this way leaves a lot to be desired the way I see it. For most Flatheads being built today this may be the final time they will ever be rebuilt. Hopefully the rebuild will be done in a way so many enjoyable years can be had by the owner. My point is if your going to teach the young ones something {age has no bearing} teach them right . Plus i bet a proper rebuild would get much better fuel economy than a somewhat partial build.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:31 PM   #31
Ol' Ron

I don't see the difference between this build and any other. All the parts are good, if their good, what's wrong?? Yes I've built allot of engines and most are still running.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:34 PM   #32
lotsagas4u

Anyone know if these builders have earlier rebuilt engines, I would be interested in a 36 LB that wasn't worn out
lotsagas4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:13 PM   #33
Ziggster

From what I've seen over the last year being advertised, I would say a "rebuilt" flathead was selling between CAN$3K -$5K, but that typically is just the block assembly. Your still missing intake, carb, generator, pulley, and other bits. Hopefully, I should be getting back my "stock" build shortly from the machinist, but I can list the following I've dumped into so far(approx prices):

Block: CAN$100
Cam Regrind (1007B): US$250 plus shipping
Crank Regrind (stk 3.75"): CAN$250 plus shipping
Egge .060" Pistons: US$100
Rods: stk
Lifters (USA): US$300 plus shipping
Valves/springs: US$100 plus shipping
Cam gear: US$40 plus shipping
Cam bearings: US$40 plus shipping
Main and Rod bearings: ??? Supplied by crank grinder and no invoice yet list for US$100 for main
Full gasket set: US$100

That's already US$1200 and that's far from a complete "running" motor. I'll be using stk intake, carb, dist, and heads. I'll be getting just the short block from the machinist and I'll be finishing it off.

Last edited by Ziggster; 10-29-2019 at 04:51 AM.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:20 PM   #34
russcc

What's the Flathead king say.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:30 PM   #35
GB SISSON

Who would that be?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:37 PM   #36
cadillac512

Quote:
I don't see the difference between this build and any other. All the parts are good, if their good, what's wrong?? Yes I've built allot of engines and most are still running.

I agree. In fact, by inspecting and properly measuring the used parts and either condemning them or judging them fit for reuse you are teaching the student valuable lessons in engine work. The same clearances need to be adhered to whether the engine is fitted with all new parts or good used stuff,so the machining operations are the same with either.

I'm building a 260" engine for my '41 Merc right now and it'll be almost identical to your list,Ron. Good parts are good parts and will last if done correctly. Now,I know some (customer) folks think only new will do, and great if they have the cash. To each his own!

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:57 PM   #37
Ol' Ron

There are allot of short cuts that many new builders don't know. Like Balancing. I try to get a Crank ,rod set for the street builds. this is a good factory balance job for street. and the weight of the piston doesn't matter . Valve springs. I run 50lbs on all street cams, including the L-100. (stock spring and.060" shim. Don't use adj lifters. Not many bulders today wouldn't do that. Plus i use allot of used bearings. I have a .020/.020 crank and rod set with great bearings. Throw them away?? N
knurel the guides. ETC
Old 10-29-2019, 08:17 AM   #38
JSeery
Member Emeritus

And there in lies the issue Ron, when you buy a rebuilt engine, unless you know who built it and how and it is documented you are buying a pig in a poke! And does it come with a guarantee? Even the best builds can end up with an unforeseen issue.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:54 PM   #39
Ggmac

Quote:
There are allot of short cuts that many new builders don't know. Like Balancing. I try to get a Crank ,rod set for the street builds. this is a good factory balance job for street. and the weight of the piston doesn't matter . Valve springs. I run 50lbs on all street cams, including the L-100. (stock spring and.060" shim. Don't use adj lifters. Not many bulders today wouldn't do that. Plus i use allot of used bearings. I have a .020/.020 crank and rod set with great bearings. Throw them away?? N
knurel the guides. ETC
I'm like you , good used beats unproven new . Maybe it's the way we were raised !
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:24 PM   #40
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggmac View Post
I'm like you , good used beats unproven new . Maybe it's the way we were raised !
Although we seem to have gotten off the subject here, I just want to add this little book by none other than the Ford Motor Company before we go back to discussion of what a flathead is worth. I think I have all the flathead books written since the 90's , and some written way before, but this orange one is my 'bible' when I build an engine for myself. I have on occasion strayed a bit from the teachings in the real bible, but I stick to this one when overhauling an engine and when a part is deemed worn beyond or even close to an 'acceptable clearance' I won't use it. I assume the reason ford published this little treatise was because regular working people back then didn't want to spend money needlessly and they still don't. At 66 years of age and driving 3 flathead powered vehicles with my 'repaired' engines, I doubt I will ever wear them out. I drive them carefully and use modern lubricants, changed with common sense. Besides, I have some modern 90's vehicles for everyday driving! Now back to what is an engine built from a mix of parts worth? Someone smarter than me will have to figure that one out. Anyone know how to search ebay history?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4014 ford.jpg (41.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4021 ford.jpg (41.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4017 ford.jpg (35.8 KB, 30 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote