Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-29-2019, 08:30 PM   #41
GB SISSON

Default Re: What is the price of a rebuilt flathead??

Hoping these two pages easier to read....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fordpage 1.jpg (37.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg fordpage 2.jpg (27.6 KB, 56 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:50 PM   #42
51504bat

I'm guessing that I had over 4 grand in my 8ba rebuild for parts and machine work but I really didn't add all the little stuff up, just paid for it as I went. Block tanked, magged, sonic tested, bored, and decked. The heads were surfaced and beaded. Used a Merc cam and adjustable lifters I had plus a set of Skip's rebuilt pumps. Most of the engine parts such as pistons and bearings came from Red's Headers. Charlie NY had already rebuilt the carb and Bubba previously supplied a Chevy distributor conversion. The machinist assembled the short block. The figure doesn't include the new BrassWorks radiator.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:29 PM   #43
Bubsyouruncle

I have a 59A out of a '47 business coupe. I bought the car from the original owner, who lived down the street from me in NW Chicago in 1963.

To the best of my knowledge, the engine has never been disassembled.

I used it in a '32 coupe in Milwaukee from Sept, 1963 to August, 1964.

It has been more or less idle since then. Except for a few tries to get it running.

With a little work it can start it up.

Comments would be welcome.
Bubsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:37 PM   #44
Ol' Ron

Abother cost saving idea that works pretty well, have your old guides knurled . Also instead of using the little rubber seal on the intake guide, just put some Hi tempPVC on the guide. Goes in alittel easer and will never leak oil. WE should keep this thread going, I'll bet there are allot of cost savu\ing for rebuilding these engines and make them last for another 20 years or untill there ins't any gas.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:40 AM   #45
mfirth

Total cost of my 8ba 2years ago in Ohio was aprox $5k including Offy 400 heads, .030 over, turning the crank, new valves, springs,guides etc.... The shop i used is a little pricy ???
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:21 AM   #46
Tim Ayers

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
There was a time when SF Flatheads & Vern Tardel sold NOS French 8BA-style rods for $125. That is a great deal compared to getting used re-conditioned. I bought two sets. One to use and one to save for later.

Keep your eyes open for these if you find them.

Also, be careful purchase surplus bearings. The ones that were covered in cosmoline or that cosmoline soaked paper often have damage to the face of the bearing where the cosmoline ate into the surface.

They are generally a good deal price-wise, but unusable in most cases. Especially when compared to King bearings costing $125 for a set of 59AB mains. Doesn't make sense to purchase these.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:44 PM   #47
Flathead Youngin'

I've been wanting to post a thread similar to the direction this one is going. I have a really good 59ab but I'd like to build a flathead just for the learning experience.

I've since lost grandpa as a resource two years ago but he rebuilt 100's of flattys and when I would ask him questions, he would always say, "Oh, you don't need to do all that. They spend all that extra money for nothing. It doesn't take all that to build a good reliable flat head." This coming from a guy that ran nitro, did his own boring with hones, ground his own cams and did his own porting and relieving. I watched him buy and old motor and scour the swap meets for new bearings, rings and pistons. But I just didn't get in on watching him actually go through one. Usually by the next time I stopped by, it was already back together and he was on to the next one.

So, I've always wondered what HAS to be done. I know there are two schools of thought on this, as I see it emerging, here, in this thread.

I'm of the do it yourself, save money and reuse what you can school and I'd really like to do it this way- honestly I just can't spend that kind of $$ on one.
Flathead Youngin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:45 PM   #48
Krylon32

As I'm reading this thread I'm reminded of a conversation I had with a customer a little while ago about his purchase of a blown, Ardun Flathead from H&H for over 30,000.00 with a 6 month delivery time. There's a Flathead for every budget.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:00 PM   #49
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
There's a Flathead for every budget.

Surely can't argue with that logic. Isn't that right, Flathead Youngin'? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:14 PM   #50
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
As I'm reading this thread I'm reminded of a conversation I had with a customer a little while ago about his purchase of a blown, Ardun Flathead from H&H for over 30,000.00 with a 6 month delivery time. There's a Flathead for every budget.

And all he gets are reproduction heads not originals Ardun heads.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:18 PM   #51
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
And all he gets are reproduction heads not originals Ardun heads.
Ronnieroadster
I had heard that the reproduction heads had several improvements over the originals that made them an overall better setup. Id this not true?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:18 PM   #52
chiefdave

Going thru the invoices that came with my car I found one dated 11/3/03 for the engine rebuild. $2857.43 parts and labor. Looks like the block, 1 head and the cam were the only parts not replaced. Wonder what this would cost 16 years later.
chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:29 PM   #53
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefdave View Post
Going thru the invoices that came with my car I found one dated 11/3/03 for the engine rebuild. $2857.43 parts and labor. Looks like the block, 1 head and the cam were the only parts not replaced. Wonder what this would cost 16 years later.

I have a friend with an 8BA being rebuilt by a "known" pro builder right now. New heads, cam and valvetrain, new intake and two of the good 97s, new pistons, bearings.....about $7K today. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:04 PM   #54
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Can't see how a cheap rebuild is worth it. Too much effort involved to not do it correctly the first time and good blocks are to difficult to come by to take a chance on destroying. That's my take.

Last edited by JSeery; 12-11-2019 at 10:10 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:29 PM   #55
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I had heard that the reproduction heads had several improvements over the originals that made them an overall better setup. Id this not true?
Over the years I've talked to several people who have indicated that very same thing. In fact years ago I had a chance to buy a complete Ardun engine and was advised if I was going to spend that money, it would be better spent on the reproductions.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:26 PM   #56
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
Over the years I've talked to several people who have indicated that very same thing. In fact years ago I had a chance to buy a complete Ardun engine and was advised if I was going to spend that money, it would be better spent on the reproductions.
Well . . . as somebody who has the good fortune (or lunacy!) to understand both, the answer is in the details and expectations:

1) Original or Repop: Nobody can claim to know the exact number of real sets of original heads, but it surely seems to be under 1000 sets - many say in the 3 - 5 hundreds. (I've never seen a serial number with 4 digits - and nothing over 700 - and nothing lower than 300).

2) Does Original Matter to You: So - if you care about "originals", then one can ask the question . . . "Hmmmm, so how many are actually still here in the world???". I don't know the answer, but probably far less than were actually produced. So the point is that original always matters . . . at least to many of us. It also matters to future value . . . at least I hope so.

3) Spending Money - New Versus Original: It kind of comes down to would you rather have an old 32 roadster that you need to restore, fix, repair, etc . . . or a Brookville? There is no "right" answer to that question - but it is one that you have to consider. But, the overall VALUE can come into play . . . what is a mint original 32 Roadster worth . . . compared to a brand, spanking new Brookville? You get my point . . .

4) Old and New: Don Ferguson (and Don Orosco before him) have done all of us Ardun fans a huge favor. By reproducing and improving the heads and associated rocker-arms, valve covers, lifters, etc - they have actually enabled a lot of old, moldy and forgotten Ardun heads/engines to be brought back to life. This gives the HotRod world plenty of options . . . you can buy original stuff (and probably do a ton of work to get them back into running shape), you can buy a brand-new package from Don and be ready to rock in a very short period of time . . . or some combination of the both. Don has rebuilt, helped and supported MANY guys who did not buy his complete head kit . . . kudos to him!

My Experiences: I originally met Don's Dad - Don Sr - back in the "Taco Shop" days (1970's - Joe Reath introduced me to them) - I have the utmost respect for Don, his products and his family. They have never been about "big profits" - more along the line of a passion for what we do . . . and maybe a few $$$ to help pay for his/ours hobby. For all the trouble it takes to produce the "new" Ardun heads . . . it isn't like the 'sales' are a big money maker. (It is about love/dedication to our world)

I have personally bought a lot of parts from Don - to help me get my original Ardun heads back to life. Thank God we have the resources of Don (and his Father Don Sr.) - as they invested in ALL of this decades ago and have helped continue the legacy. They're just a great family of vintage Hotrodders.

The Ardun Story Continues: New . . . old or some hybrid combination - the Ardun story lives because of dedicated folks like Don Ferguson, Ronnie Roadster and a lot of other folks that love these goofy damn Flathead Hemis.

I hope to see MORE of them on the road, in running cars, on the salt and in real Hotrods . . . who gives a crap about another Ardun in yet another museum . . .

Whew - time for bed! LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:39 PM   #57
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Well . . . as somebody who has the good fortune (or lunacy!) to understand both, the answer is in the details and expectations:

1) Original or Repop: Nobody can claim to know the exact number of real sets of original heads, but it surely seems to be under 1000 sets - many say in the 3 - 5 hundreds. (I've never seen a serial number with 4 digits - and nothing over 700 - and nothing lower than 300).

2) Does Original Matter to You: So - if you care about "originals", then one can ask the question . . . "Hmmmm, so how many are actually still here in the world???". I don't know the answer, but probably far less than were actually produced. So the point is that original always matters . . . at least to many of us. It also matters to future value . . . at least I hope so.

3) Spending Money - New Versus Original: It kind of comes down to would you rather have an old 32 roadster that you need to restore, fix, repair, etc . . . or a Brookville? There is no "right" answer to that question - but it is one that you have to consider. But, the overall VALUE can come into play . . . what is a mint original 32 Roadster worth . . . compared to a brand, spanking new Brookville? You get my point . . .

4) Old and New: Don Ferguson (and Don Orosco before him) have done all of us Ardun fans a huge favor. By reproducing and improving the heads and associated rocker-arms, valve covers, lifters, etc - they have actually enabled a lot of old, moldy and forgotten Ardun heads/engines to be brought back to life. This gives the HotRod world plenty of options . . . you can buy original stuff (and probably do a ton of work to get them back into running shape), you can buy a brand-new package from Don and be ready to rock in a very short period of time . . . or some combination of the both. Don has rebuilt, helped and supported MANY guys who did not buy his complete head kit . . . kudos to him!

My Experiences: I originally met Don's Dad - Don Sr - back in the "Taco Shop" days (1970's - Joe Reath introduced me to them) - I have the utmost respect for Don, his products and his family. They have never been about "big profits" - more along the line of a passion for what we do . . . and maybe a few $$$ to help pay for his/ours hobby. For all the trouble it takes to produce the "new" Ardun heads . . . it isn't like the 'sales' are a big money maker. (It is about love/dedication to our world)

I have personally bought a lot of parts from Don - to help me get my original Ardun heads back to life. Thank God we have the resources of Don (and his Father Don Sr.) - as they invested in ALL of this decades ago and have helped continue the legacy. They're just a great family of vintage Hotrodders.

The Ardun Story Continues: New . . . old or some hybrid combination - the Ardun story lives because of dedicated folks like Don Ferguson, Ronnie Roadster and a lot of other folks that love these goofy damn Flathead Hemis.

I hope to see MORE of them on the road, in running cars, on the salt and in real Hotrods . . . who gives a crap about another Ardun in yet another museum . . .

Whew - time for bed! LOL
As I remember, and this was quite a few years ago, the heads were numbered in the low 100's. As an aside, I also had a chance to buy Don Ferguson's 1934 Bonneville car. No one knew the history of the car at that time. I friend of mine owned it and I actually drove the car. The car was featured in Rodder's Journal issue #44. If only I knew.

Last edited by flatjack9; 12-11-2019 at 11:48 PM.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:08 AM   #58
deuce lover

It cost me last yr to do a bone stock 21 stud '36 LB motor $1200 in parts(+$150 in shipping to France) and $1200 in machine work and labor.Located all the parts(pistons,rings,valves,lifters & bearings) on EBAY.C& G for the gasket set.Boring without removing the studs,turning the crank,setting the valves and reassembly done here in France.I thought I did good.

In or around 2008 I assisted in selling off an estate in West Covina,CA.In that load was an early and mint complete set of Ardun heads.The Valve covers said "Ardun Made in England" I failed to note the number that was on them.Story goes that they came from Blairs Speed Shop and had been run only once. Had them on EBAY for 24 hrs before I killed the auction.Had to many curious questions .Because of that listing I met a fellow(Wasted Willie) who has 6 sets and 3 of those were NOS in their boxes.He has since passed away.

Last edited by deuce lover; 12-12-2019 at 05:51 AM.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:46 AM   #59
Dodge

What Rod is describing sounds like a freshen up not a complete rebuild. A $1500 to $2200
Motor at best.
We are out in California and it costs $6500 to build a stock Flathead with all good parts.
You want to go with all the goodies it can run $8-10k
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:12 AM   #60
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
What Rod is describing sounds like a freshen up not a complete rebuild. A $1500 to $2200
Motor at best.
We are out in California and it costs $6500 to build a stock Flathead with all good parts.
You want to go with all the goodies it can run $8-10k
The motor I posted in my build thread would have been around $9-10K if I added up all the parts I already had for it. No shortcuts and all premium parts and the best machine work and person putting it together. I have no regrets.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote