Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2019, 08:08 PM   #1
rfitzpatrick

Default Oil In My Water

I can stick my finger into the radiator -- gets covered with oil. Where do I start? I find no water in my oil-but all began (to notice) right after an oil change-not that it still may have been before changing.

Where do I began?
Thanks Guys
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:13 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Oil In My Water

Might sound stupid but do you have water in your oil? What did the oil look like when you changed it? Did it look like a chocolate milk shake?

What does the oil look like on your dip stick?
Old 10-05-2019, 09:43 PM   #3
1crosscut

Good chance it is just grease from the water pump. If you don't see any water in the oil I would consider draining the coolant and putting water and a detergent in the cooling system and run it for a while then drain and flush. I understand that some have used dishwasher detergent since it will not suds up.
Go for the easy fix first.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:38 AM   #4
rfitzpatrick

OK, no water in the oil. It's a fresh oil-change. I did grease the water-pump but this time--so very little - just a bump on the grease gun.

Going 'east-fix' first
Thanks
Old 10-06-2019, 12:17 PM   #5
rfitzpatrick

There's no change after the "Easy-Fix" as mentioned-- what needs doing next?
Thanks
Old 10-06-2019, 12:40 PM   #6
30 Closed Cab PU

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick View Post
There's no change after the "Easy-Fix" as mentioned-- what needs doing next?
Thanks
So you have flushed the cooling system with detergent, and still getting oil in
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:06 PM   #7
rfitzpatrick

OK, not a detergent -- something called Simply Green. I'm about to take another run and checking cylinder compression afterwards. I also forgot to mention -- my radiator is a month old BrassWorks -- not that it matters, but is the last thing done to the engine until I noticed oil floating under the cap

Thanks
Old 10-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #8
rfitzpatrick

60 PSI each cylinder. It's almost like something is desolving in the water, but it is oil-
what's the chances every cylinder reads 60 psi too?
Old 10-06-2019, 03:13 PM   #9
30 Closed Cab PU

Any chance that Brassworks ships radiators with an internal coating/preservative in them that keeps rust/corrosion away during shipping/storage?

Simply(Simple?) Green is also a detergent of sorts, cuts grease/oil.

As long as the compression readings were taken with the spark advance lever at full retard and all plugs are remove, would think the reading are real.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:23 PM   #10
rfitzpatrick

[QUOTE=30 Closed Cab PU;1806992]Any chance that Brassworks ships radiators with an internal coating/preservative in them that keeps rust/corrosion away during shipping/storage?

Well I'll be darn !! Now there was some paper work instructions talking about corrosion building up if the radiator wasn't installed right away after shipment -- it did set-up for 4 weeks before installation. Paper work mentioned keeping it stored Up-Right too (which I did), never laying on it's sides. That paper work is long gone--

Still, I find 60 psi across interesting--
Thanks
Old 10-06-2019, 04:01 PM   #11
old31

I would not worry at all about 60 in each cylinder. That is very good.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:53 PM   #12
redmodelt

Re;As long as the compression readings were taken with the spark advance lever at full retard and all

I think you meant throttle and if you didn't, spark has nothing to do with checking compression.

Re the oil; depending on the history of the car, could someone got carried away with the solvable oil or block sealer? The inside of the block in now coated and is getting washed out. One of my Uncles must have added a lot of it (block sealer) to my 48 in the past, the inside of the radiator neck is really greasy oily sometimes.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:10 PM   #13
1crosscut

Simple Green is a great product to use for getting grease and oils out. I didn't mention it in my earlier post as using it diluted may not be strong enough to clear it out. That is unless you put three gallons in your system and ran it that way for a while. ( a bit spendy I would think )
When I had the original radiator out of my truck I put a gallon of undiluted Simple Green in it and sloshed it around once or twice a day for a couple of weeks and it got it super clean.

Try the dishwasher soap.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:20 AM   #14
redmodelt

4 weeks wouldn't hardly be any time in the car restoration world. While not impossible, it is kinda hard to get oil into the cooling system without being put there, water in the oil not so hard.

Last edited by redmodelt; 10-07-2019 at 09:30 AM.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:52 AM   #15
rfitzpatrick

While not impossible, it is kinda hard to get oil into the cooling system without being put there, water in the oil not so hard.[/QUOTE]

OK, I'm redoing everything did yesterday, except compression check. Simple Green tends to foam tho--bought this litter-box so that when I drain, I have a very large area I can view.
Tomorrow maybe another oil change so that I have another view. There's just 130 miles on this one.

What I've notice: leaveing everything alone and over nite - oil will pool in the upper tank
Old 10-07-2019, 02:57 PM   #16
30 Closed Cab PU

Thanks for correcting me, senior moment. That's something I've always noticed here, mistakes get corrected, which is a good thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
Re;As long as the compression readings were taken with the spark advance lever at full retard and all

I think you meant throttle and if you didn't, spark has nothing to do with checking compression.

Re the oil; depending on the history of the car, could someone got carried away with the solvable oil or block sealer? The inside of the block in now coated and is getting washed out. One of my Uncles must have added a lot of it (block sealer) to my 48 in the past, the inside of the radiator neck is really greasy oily sometimes.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:08 PM   #17
30 Closed Cab PU

What I've notice: leaveing everything alone and over nite - oil will pool in the upper tank[/QUOTE]
-------------------------------------

Makes sense, oil separates and floats on top of water.

Perhaps possible previous simple green treatment was insufficient to get all the grease out if it is grease?
Old 10-07-2019, 03:38 PM   #18
rfitzpatrick

Perhaps possible previous simple green treatment was insufficient to get all the grease out if it is grease?[/QUOTE]

The grease I use on the pump is red. what I'm pulling out on my fingers is black. Right now, I've done another Simple Green application and let it set over-nite-- I've already ran the engine a distance.
And just like the other times, the oil is pooling under the radiator cap just now.
I really would like to figure this out --
I keep hoping I say something that will trigger someones experience that will help me settle this matter

Thanks
Old 10-07-2019, 04:52 PM   #19
30 Closed Cab PU

Perhaps posting on HAMB/another Forum or talking to motor rebuilders (Bert's?) are additional resources.

Am an armchair mechanic on motors. But to me this is not making a lot of sense. Last thing you did was an oil change, without dropping the oil pan. Unless there is a crack in the block that was sealed by gunk and the oil change flushed gunk out of the crack. Seems not likely to me, if the oil was pressurized, more of a possibility, but oil is high flow, pretty much no pressure in an A. Would think you would see teh other side too - water in the oil.

Perhaps others have a better idea of where the oil system is close to the cooling system.

I am out ideas with my limited knowledge, so am bowing out - good luck, hope you find the issue.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:25 PM   #20
redmodelt

The valve galleries would be about the only place that would be close to the water jacket or blown gasket on engine that pumping a heck of a lot of oil, but in both cases there would be water in the oil. Do you have a kid? When I was about 3 I helped Dad by playing gas station worker, filled one of the old cars sitting in the yard with gas out of the water hose! LOL