Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-31-2020, 10:54 PM   #1
JimNNN

Default Your opinions on Marvel Mystery OILERS

Not talking about the oil itself, but the oilers that allow you to introduce MMO into the engine withOUT putting it into the gas tank or fuel system. The one I'm looking at is an old TU series canister that holds two quarts, and uses a vacuum line to pull the oil into a manifold vacuum port. It would be used on a '54 Y block. Beyond that, I know nothing about these things.

One of my main questions is: is it even worth having a system like this? I ask because MMO actually got my engine working reliably when it was brought back from the dead 15 years ago. The valves kept sticking and the push rods kept bending until a mechanic and I put MMO in the gas tank. But I didn't like running the oil through the fuel system.

As of now, I haven't had any more valve issues in 15 years, but I don't put a lot of miles on my car either. I put some MMO in my tank very sparsely nowadays - about every 600-700 miles. The carb doesn't get too gummed up at that rate, but the car doesn't have hardened valve seats, either. Maybe that's all I need and shouldn't bother with the oiler unit. Opinions welcome.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:17 AM   #2
51504bat

Default Re: Your opinions on Marvel Mystery OILERS

I had one on the 8ba in my '39 p/u. Worked fine but I couldn't keep it from leaking where the jar screwed onto the top assembly. Finally took it off. Its still on the shelf and I might revisit it some day.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:14 AM   #3
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

I use it in all my Antique cars in the oil and gas. It works wonder. Also good in Vacumn wipers with no more then 5 pounds of air pressure. Just work the wipers with the air pressure. Makes big difference.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:59 AM   #4
JeffB2

A lot of guys use MMO in the gas to prevent ethanol damage there is no reason not to use it.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:43 AM   #5
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB2 View Post
A lot of guys use MMO in the gas to prevent ethanol damage there is no reason not to use it.
JeffB2,
just curious how it might prevent ethanol damage. Guessing it's to the plastic & rubber parts in the fuel system?
Or does it reduce moisture corrosion of metal parts (tank, pump, carb) or all of the above???
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:51 AM   #6
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I knew a guy that use 2 cycle oil in his gas to stop rust and keep the carb in good shape. So I always put some in my gas in the fall and my Antique cars never have a problem in the spring. Always in cars I don't drive much.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:15 PM   #7
JimNNN

Thanks for the input guys. I think I need to state my question more clearly, though. What I'm really asking is:

It it worth it to get one of the oiler systems for MMO so that I don't have to run MMO through the fuel tank and fuel system?

I've already decided that MMO is worth using so you don't need to answer that question. The thing is the oiler would allow more regular use of MMO for me because it wouldn't run oil through the carb, which I've found requires more frequent carb cleaning and adjustment. I also don't really like putting it - or any other additive - in the tank because my tank was restored by being recoated and I'm not sure of the long term effects on the coating.

As it sits right now I put about 5 oz.s of MMO in the tank every 6-700 miles. That keeps the carb from getting problems, but the engine may benefit from more regular MMO use. I hope that makes sense.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:33 PM   #8
Aarongriffey

I used to see those oilers on cars a lot when I worked in a couple of gas stations.
When I was in the Army and our division shipped out to Germany a Sargent in our company shipped his early fifties Buick over.
He had an Oiler on it and was able to get Marvel Mystery oil but could also use two cycle oil or just regular motor oil. He had a lot of miles on the car with no problems. He credited it to the Marvel Mystery Oiler. There were other brands too. We called them , “overhead oilers.”
Hard to pass a smog test with one of them connected and working.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:18 PM   #9
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
I had one on the 8ba in my '39 p/u. Worked fine but I couldn't keep it from leaking where the jar screwed onto the top assembly. Finally took it off. Its still on the shelf and I might revisit it some day.

In response to the original question. I would still have the oiler installed if it didn't leak around the seal/gasket between the top and the jar holding the MMO. I tried making a new gasket and as I said originally I might revisit down the road. I was happy with how it worked. I don't have any empirical data but I felt that the 8ba ran smoother but it might have been just wishful thinking.