Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Brother Hesekiel

Default Rumble seat -- trunk -- rumble seat

My' 31 Roadster was originally a rumble seat car. The previous owner needed a trunk, so he converted it. Luckily I got the original hinges, but I had to buy everything else in order to convert it back to a rumble seat.

My problem is, the original rumble lid stops have been cut and welded onto the panel instead of bolted on, but that's something I can easily change back. At least I know where they have to be mounted. What I don't know is where the 2 longer pieces (stops) are supposed to go?

RumbleStops.jpg
Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
Flop

Default Re: Rumble seat -- trunk -- rumble seat

the other piece shown goes underneath the panel .

https://www.facebook.com/flop.custom
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
Kevin in NJ

I see a lot of wrong things here. Just because it was a rumble before does not mean it is close to correct. I have seen show cars with a bunch of wrong parts. At Hershey there was only one car that was correct the year I was trying to figure it all out.

Not sure with the pictures, but it looks like you need the curved inner panel first. That piece attaches to the top of the rumble seat riser. I believe the the rumble seat riser you have is repro as there are no holes along the back edge of the upper portion where all the bead work is. The riser will also need a re-enforcement securely attached to the bottom for the rumble stops. From the factory they were welded, as long as they are very secure you will be ok.

In Vol 2 of Technically Speaking there is a reprint of the Ford dealers instructions for a conversion from a trunk to a rumble. It will tell you all the part you will need.

Here are some pictures and details I put together on a website.
Rumble seat info
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Brother Hesekiel

Flop,
thanks.
Guess I have to go underneath my car and see if those reinforcement brackets are still there. They should be.

Kevin,
my car has the curved panel. It's been welded in, which is incorrect, but the car has been a rumble seat car until about a year ago and the panel has not been changed.
Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Hesekiel View Post
My' 31 Roadster was originally a rumble seat car. The previous owner needed a trunk, so he converted it. Luckily I got the original hinges, but I had to buy everything else in order to convert it back to a rumble seat.

My problem is, the original rumble lid stops have been cut and welded onto the panel instead of bolted on, but that's something I can easily change back. At least I know where they have to be mounted. What I don't know is where the 2 longer pieces (stops) are supposed to go?

Attachment 149098
I hate to say it, but nothing I see there is original. It looks like a 1970's "build" and probably has the incorrect "replacement" curved panel but it would require better pics to tell for sure.