Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #21
Dave / Franklin MA

Default Re: Flywheel

I think another reason for the heavy flywheel was due to the very poor roads at the time. Many rural roads were not much improved from the frontier trails they followed, and could be very rough going. When a car bounces along a road like that, as it hits the various holes, ruts, and rocks there are shocks and stresses that are transferred back along the drive shaft that can stall the engine.

I believe a heavy flywheel has a very high rotational inertia that prevents rapid speed changes, and effectively absorbs and dampens these forces so the engine is much less likely to stall under these conditions. That same rotational inertia also helps get the car over the small bumps without losing much speed.

Of course, with the nice smooth roads we have now, that is no longer a consideration and it does make sense to lighten it.
Dave / Franklin MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #22
Wello

Thanks everyone. All the info has really helped. Looks like I'll be going with a lightened flywheel. I'll let you know what I find in the housing once the engine is pulled.

Dan
Wello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #23
Wello

I pulled the engine today. Not as bad as I had remembered. Anyway, here's a photo of the offending hardware from the flywheel housing. All that ring gear damage, all because someone in the past failed to remove a broken bolt. Oh well, it keeps me off the streets.

Like many of my 'A' projects, I have allowed this one to snowball. Picked up a lightened flywheel/V8 clutch from James. I have all the parts ready to go to give the transmission and tower a once over. Hopefully I'll have a pile of iron for the sandblaster ready by tomorrow. A little paint and I can start putting it all back together. Maybe I'll be on the road by next weekend.

Thanks again for all the input.

Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flywheel trouble.jpg (53.0 KB, 43 views)
Old 10-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #24
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S View Post
Why did Ford make the flywheel so heavy in the first place?
"Old Hank was big in recycling, after a useful life, they could be boat anchors!
Old 10-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #25
Terry, NJ

A flywheel update! After removing some stock off my flywheel, it turned out to be only about 6 lbs. had a dog of a time trying to true it in my friend's Polish lathe (Yeah that's Polish, from Poland!) It was the only lathe I've ever run without a Compound feed. Anyway, Ora landis at Schwalms balanced the crank, clutch, and flywheel with only drlling two small (5/16) 1/4" deep in it. Not much, I expected more.
So What will 6 Lbs buy me? Not very much it seems. This is my first attempt at turning a flywheel and I'd rather err on the side of caution.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:33 PM   #26
Wello

Update:

Finally got the truck back together. I let the project snowball a bit, after all, how often do I really want to pull the engine. I had James Rogers ship me one of his lightened flywheel/V-8 clutch set ups, replaced all the gears and bearings in the tranny, new U-Joint, and plenty of cleaning, sandblasting and paint. I even hit my interior chrome with some 800 grit sandpaper and now I've got the appropriate butler finish (not nickel but it looks great for a driver).

I'm very pleased with the results. The new gears shift so nice now. The lightened flywheel is noticeable but not as dramatic as one might think. Acceleration is a bit better on hills and the deceleration makes shifting a little easier. The pressure plate I used was the tractor, non-adjustable type. No problems at all. It seems to take less pressure on the pedal than the stock set up.

Many thanks to all for your suggestions and thoughts.

Dan
Old 12-28-2011, 11:57 PM   #27
Milton

Dan,
Thanks for the update.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #28
Cider Mill

What do you all think about lightening a fly wheel on a stock crankshaft and leaving the stock pressure plate? Is there any benefit? How much should/could be taken off the fly wheel and still use the stock pressure plate?
Cider Mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #29
Wello

I used the V-8 pressure plate with the lightened flywheel. So far I'm very pleased with the results. She's a bit more peppy and the shifting is smoother. Even with the stock crankshaft I seem to have a little less vibration than before. This may be due to the condition of my original flywheel/clutch.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:21 PM   #30
columbiA

I have a fly wheel-about 37#on a33 B engine with stock29-34 PP & 35-46 disc with a 3/4"longer release arm & it requires little pressure. to operate.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote