Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-06-2017, 08:38 PM   #1
FordMike

Default Looking for info on 35-36 Cabriolet Tops

Now that I have my cabriolet up and running I am quickly realizing that I need to put the top on it. I have what I believe to be a complete Lebarron Bonney top for it, and fortunately I found the directions in the pile of stuff but I have a few questions before I start. I should also ad that I have yet to see one of these cars finished with a top in person so I don't have much info to go by.

Does anyone out there have any photos of these areas on their car? I'm not sure what is missing from on mine but I'd like to try to find out before jumping into the top. They appear to be tacks but they are set into the metal much like rivets. Is there some sort of wood tack strip that goes here? What am I missing?

Last edited by FordMike; 07-06-2017 at 08:48 PM.
FordMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:47 PM   #2
Ken Bull

Default Re: Looking for info on 35-36 Cabriolet Tops

The tack strip is plastic and avaILABLE FROM LB.The factory rivited a metal channal like piece holding some sort of tack holding material but,it rusts out or gets destroyed on removal. I got the correct size plastic piece from LB and glued and clamped and riveted on it with good results. I reviewed many tops and after going over the instructions several times sent the top kit and car to a profesional shop for installation. They did a excellent job and mentioned that the LB kit was excellent. I am happy with the result!
l
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160912_092535.jpg (60.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20150216_151036.jpg (72.5 KB, 22 views)
Ken Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:27 AM   #3
Don Rogers

Ford Mike, Here are a couple of photos that I got off of the Barn a while back showing the outer tack strip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cab tack strip01.jpg (58.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg cab tack strip02.jpg (48.3 KB, 42 views)
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:58 AM   #4
FordMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bull View Post
The tack strip is plastic and avaILABLE FROM LB.The factory rivited a metal channal like piece holding some sort of tack holding material but,it rusts out or gets destroyed on removal. I got the correct size plastic piece from LB and glued and clamped and riveted on it with good results. I reviewed many tops and after going over the instructions several times sent the top kit and car to a profesional shop for installation. They did a excellent job and mentioned that the LB kit was excellent. I am happy with the result!
l
Thanks for the reply! Your top looks great! You had to order the tack strip separate from the top kit? My kit is very old, probably from the 1980s? and its a non zipper rear window kit. I have looked thru the pieces and I don't remember seeing anything like the tack strip in the pile. Also did you remove the stock rivets before installing the new tack strip?
Old 07-07-2017, 12:01 PM   #5
FordMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rogers View Post
Ford Mike, Here are a couple of photos that I got off of the Barn a while back showing the outer tack strip.
Thank you very much! This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for! Now to make mine look like that!
Old 07-07-2017, 12:32 PM   #6
FordMike

I suppose its also worth noting that my top kit is thrown together with what I believe to be the complete interior kit for the car, that is what is likely creating the confusion with what is included and what isnt.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:33 PM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

Mike, you might consider PMing a member here known as V8er. He has done a beautiful job of restoring a '35 Cabriolet & is now completing a '36 Cabriolet.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote