Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2015, 10:09 AM   #21
Rex_A_Lott

Default Re: 3 - 2 downshift

After you have it in neutral just push up easy on it, it'll slide in when its ready. If you have to push hard, its going to grind.
Good Luck
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:36 PM   #22
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonlll View Post
Here is a video I did on Double Clutching. From the sound of your post, I don't think you are spinning the engine up with the clutch pedal up. Does no good if you have the pedal down. A lot of people make this mistake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAZ7...cz4R0&index=11
Jackson:
Watched your video, helped me alot, if I keep practicing I'll get it down.
But I tried your method and I'm doing much, much better than I was before.
Thank you
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:53 PM   #23
daveymc29

Don't worry too much about tearing it up. Probably many a kid had his first try at driving with that very transmission when the car was younger and it still has all its parts. Might be a bit worn, but all good Ford steel and I'm sure better than any of the replacement junk we buy for these boxes now. Just go carefully and with a gingerly push into gears, if you feel the need to yank, do that coming out of gears, but going in just nudge the lever into position and release the clutch slightly slowly until you get the feel of things. It will become like walking, you'll do it without even realizing you're doing it once you get going. These boxes will take some abuse, but gingerly into gear and let the clutch out cautiously will serve you well during this learning experience. Enjoy the care and drive it.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:57 PM   #24
burner31

Waiting for UPS to get here so I can put my water temp gauge in, then it's back on the road to play/practice.
Should be here any minute now
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:28 PM   #25
roblesterjr04

When I need to downshift around a corner and don't have time to do all of this, I usually just leave it in third, press the clutch in so I don't stall, and let the car slow down on its own with the brakes. Around 15 mph I can slip it in 2nd without grinding.

I'd rather wear my shoes out than bust a tooth!

1929 Fordor Leatherback
roblesterjr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:01 PM   #26
Allanw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyc View Post
Thanks for all the response. I'll practice what I have read here. I just hope I master it before tearing up the transmission!
We rebuilt the trans, AFTER learning to drive it well

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Here is a video on how to up and down shift without all the blah, blah, blah. Quick and to the point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgvwXpkHrWI
Shame that is so shaky, but it's brilliant at showing it's done - not too much talking and you can hear the engine.
"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:06 PM   #27
mshmodela

I learned that going slowily in terms of downshifting was the key... I let the car have a second in neutral with the clutch out before pushing in the clutch to go downshift in to 2nd...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio

Last edited by mshmodela; 06-12-2015 at 08:36 PM.
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:52 PM   #28
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanw View Post
We rebuilt the trans, AFTER learning to drive it well

Shame that is so shaky, but it's brilliant at showing it's done - not too much talking and you can hear the engine.
I haven't watched this particular video, but unfortunately many of the people shooting for U tube don't hold the camera steady, don't keep the camera on the subject at hand, and don't talk loud enough into the mic. Sometimes the shaky camera can almost make a guy dizzy.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:34 PM   #29
ian Simpson

My farmer brother-in-law shifts my 1928 Tudor from 3rd to 2nd without the clutch. Says it is easier than his silage truck. Scary!!!!
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:54 AM   #30
monto

All above excellent advice.
Practice. Take your time. Work at low speed. As you get the knack, you'll pick up your speed and be able to do it at any velocity. Compare it to learning bike riding. As you repeat the process, you will improve to perfection.
monto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:06 AM   #31
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I haven't watched this particular video, but unfortunately many of the people shooting for U tube don't hold the camera steady, don't keep the camera on the subject at hand, and don't talk loud enough into the mic. Sometimes the shaky camera can almost make a guy dizzy.
Agree.

That particular video was shot several years ago on a real old (by today's standards) first gen cellphone with camera by a very young lady who learned to drive a manual transmission in the Model A. Some of the shakiness was the rural road used for training, some was her nervousness, some was her very petite arms trying to hold that heavy cellphone steady on that rough road.

The good news is, she was successful and drove the Model A very well! It would have been real cool if she had driven it to her prom, but timing didn't work out, so her mom ended up driving her.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:25 AM   #32
bunnyc

I'm getting it. Made a couple downshifts today that were perfect and a couple with just a hint of gears clashing. Thanks for all the suggestions and support from the forum!
bunnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:48 PM   #33
bikemaniac

I am also a beginner and have never driven a Model A before nor been a passenger. I have also had serious issues downshifting and I always read that you should "blimp" the throttle bit ... and so I did ... but my shifting was awful. Like somebody mentions above: You need to throttle it a LOT ... really revving the engine ... and so I did and now my downshifts are MUCH better. Not perfect - but now I know what to look for. Dont baby the throttle while downshifting ... give it some gas and while the engine revs down try to find the sweet spot.

Lucas

Last edited by bikemaniac; 06-16-2015 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Spelling error
bikemaniac is offline   Reply With Quote