Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
kenparker

Default Model A Fords and Ford 2.0 and 2.3 engines

I am off on a new wild hair. The adapting a 2.3 liter engine (Ford Ranger Pickup) engine into a Model A. I have read and heard that the 2.0 Pinto engine is an easy adapt and the 2.3 is not a good choice due to fit or some other problem. Can someone shed some light on the goood and bads of putting a 2.3 liter engine in a Model A? i have two of the 2.3 liter engines and want something to do with them.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
David Conwill

Default Re: Model A Fords and Ford 2.0 and 2.3 engines

They go in Pintos, don't they?

I think this would be a good question for the HAMB.

-Dave
David Conwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenparker View Post
I am off on a new wild hair. The adapting a 2.3 liter engine (Ford Ranger Pickup) engine into a Model A. I have read and heard that the 2.0 Pinto engine is an easy adapt and the 2.3 is not a good choice due to fit or some other problem. Can someone shed some light on the goood and bads of putting a 2.3 liter engine in a Model A? i have two of the 2.3 liter engines and want something to do with them.
You're kidding.... right?
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
marc hildebrant

Ken,

Does the car have a Model A engine now ? If so, why change it ?

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
Art Bjornestad

A bad choice! Some research will point out the the gearing on a Model A will allow the engine to spin at about 2300 or so at 50 mph. A Pinto engine is not developing much horsepower at that speed and little torque. They make a neat little around town car a pain to drive IMHO. I have owned one and that was my take.

Spend what it takes to make the A or B engine run correctly and these cars are a joy.
Art Bjornestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
J Franklin

The good would be you would spend some money and help the economy some. The bad would be the car really wouldn't be a Model A Ford any longer.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
Ron in Quincy

Why put this kind of garbage on this forum; most of us like to keep our A's with a 4 cylinder A or B engine.

Sorry thats how I feel !!!!!

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #8
raprice

Ron, I couldn't agree more. What's wrong with a Model A engine? If some wants to have more power, then go to another car that would satisfy him. Just my 2 cents.
Rog
raprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #9
denis4x4

OK.....I'm just finishing up a build on a 1.8 sohc Courier engine. Domed .040 pistons, Offy Dual Port manifold, Weber carb, Crower cam, balanced crank, lightened flywheel and a 4 speed ZF transmission. It's going in a '29 huckster with a 3:78 gears and an open driveshaft. Did my homework and with the gearing and a cam set for max torque at 3000 to 4000 RPM, these should be a great runnerToo bad these guys are bad mouthing those of us with creative juices! The stock A rear end, drive shaft with a BorgWarnert O'drive is being passed on FREE to a guy with a 31 ccpu. It will join my fleet of award winning model A powered hot rods with period correct speed equipment.
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #10
1931 flamingo

Ken, are you not the fellow who built (still building) the slant window with the pinto engine, or do I have U mixed up with someone else?
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Denis, I don't think that folks here are necessarily bad mouthing y'all with creative juices but asking it on this type of forum is kinda like publicly asking for advice on starting a 'House of Ill Repute' to attendees at the Republican National Party fund raiser!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #12
LeroyM

There was a guy named Dick Sparks who had a 2.3 motor in one of his cars. I tried doing the same thing in my coupe and ran into a few problems. One is if you plan to make it fit in like the Model A motor does you need to grind the oil filter boss off the block to make the Model A starter clear, also the Model A starter needs to have some grinding on it to make it fit also. Once you grind this oil filter boss off you run into the problem of hitting the water jacket in the 2.3 motor which then would need to be fixed if you get to close like I did.

Another thing you will also need to have an adapter made to make it bolt up to the Model A flywheel housing, you will also need to have a round spacer made to extend the 2.3 crank to allow you to run the Model A or 39 transmission. It can be done but the 2.3 I think only puts out 90hp stock and you can come close to that with a good Model B with some bolt on goodies.

I think I still have some info on the 2.3 I can find if you want more info.
LeroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:30 PM   #13
700rpm

There are many new street rod frames and repro bodies out there. Put your 2.3's in something like that and leave the stock Model A's stock.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #14
sonny30coupe

a 2.3 does not belong in a model a.........duh
sonny30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #15
pj's junkers

Send a message via Yahoo to pj's junkers

Call Dick Sparks in Tyler, Tx at 903-360-7116. He put one his slant windshield sedan
pj's junkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:33 PM   #16
tuneman

Default My 2 cents ?

It's his car! He wasn't asking for a opinon on
installing it ,Only if we had any fit advise!!!
If you guys want to save them all. Start buying all you can find. Then do with them what you please because you then own them.
My self i'am almost a purest , But belive that if it's yours you can do what you want. If i can help you solve a problem i will. But with hold
criticizing you on your choices!
tuneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:41 PM   #17
Mitch//pa
BANNED

05-24-2010, 12:19 AM #5 Ryan
Administrator

Re: Non HAMB rod sections
The ford barn will focus on restoration... And stock fords. We might have a side bar here and there, but restoration will remain the focus.

Once the novelty wears off the new format, we will start pointing more in that direction.

so i take this as if you want to put a 2.0,2.3, or a 7.3 diesel in your model A it belongs on another forum.....
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #18
skip
Banned

Look if your going to do the Pinto 4 cylinder inline and live with this engine that was designed with a higher rev limit might as well go for broke and find a
FORD V-4. They are around. Ford sold them to SAAB and SAAB used them in their SAAB Sonnet. These ran as smooth as a Mazda Rotary. Dad and I cut the 40 hp Johnson 2 cycle O/B off the back of one of his houseboats and hung this Ford V-4 IB/OB unit on the transom. Sweet motor. Nice and short, not too wide.

skip.
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #19
denis4x4

Brent....it's way to easy to twist tails on the Fordbarn! That said, I will swear on a stack of Bibles to never post hot rod stuff here if there are no pix of 16" wheels, tips on installing inserts, showing how to install a '39 transmission or instructions on installing a third brake light on a ccpu.

I appreciate the work that goes into the restoration of a Model A. By the same token, there was plenty of speed equipment available for T's and A's in the twenties and thirties. Finally, every single one of my hot rod A's was manufactured from bits and pieces and every single piece that was usable was sold for pennies on the dollar or given away. So, perhaps the purists should get a sense of humor.
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:42 PM   #20
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
brent....it's way to easy to twist tails on the fordbarn! That said, i will swear on a stack of bibles to never post hot rod stuff here if there are no pix of 16" wheels, tips on installing inserts, showing how to install a '39 transmission or instructions on installing a third brake light on a ccpu.

I appreciate the work that goes into the restoration of a model a. By the same token, there was plenty of speed equipment available for t's and a's in the twenties and thirties. Finally, every single one of my hot rod a's was manufactured from bits and pieces and every single piece that was usable was sold for pennies on the dollar or given away. So, perhaps the purists should get a sense of humor.
^amen
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote