Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2018, 04:07 PM   #1
34pickup

Default Do ALL banjo rearends require a hub puller to remove the brake drum?

My newly acquired 48 Ford coupe has brake shoe to brake drum clearance problems. The hub/drums will barely turn on each wheel. I did adjust them so that they were backed off as far as they would go.

So I removed the brake shoes on the front to make sure it was the shoes that were the problem. Appears that the shoe linings may be too thick. I now need to remove the rear drums to see if thats the same problem back there.

So, I have heard that you cannot remove the rear drums without a hub puller. Is this true in every case? If so, where would one find or rent such an obsolete tool?
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:44 PM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: Do ALL banjo rearends require a hub puller to remove the brake drum?

It is not necessary in EVERY case. I had a rear hub come off all by itself on a trip to Dearborn one . No fun. Now, to answer your question. yes a puller is required in most cases and be sure it is a puller that is designed for an early fore, i.e., one that grabs the hub itself, not the studs.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:48 PM   #3
34pickup

Default Re: Do ALL banjo rearends require a hub puller to remove the brake drum?

Thanks
Old 06-24-2018, 05:31 PM   #4
rotorwrench

The ones where it wasn't torqued properly might just fall off unless it sheared the key. With the torque they had on them and time installed unknown, it's kind of a crap shoot as to whether it will come of easy or not. I'd always figure they would be tight going into a job like that. If it hasn't been on long then it might come off easier. With a tapered shaft you just never know. I'd sure want it tight.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:31 PM   #5
al pa.

winfield tool works
1-631-928-3316
p.o.box 476
port jefferson n.y. 11777
hub puller
al pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:26 PM   #6
Charlie Stephens

If you don't need a puller they were loose. If they were run loose very far I would check for cracks (usually at the inboard end of the keyway). You can rent the puller here: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...ls_forsale.htm

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:14 PM   #7
34pickup

Thanks
Old 06-24-2018, 07:34 PM   #8
tubman

If you can't source a puller, you could also try the old "Figure-8" trick. Loosen the axle nuts about one turn and then drive in a couple of figure-eights in a parking lot, Sometimes it will loosen them up. Don't go crazy, though.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:56 PM   #9
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
If you can't source a puller, you could also try the old "Figure-8" trick. Loosen the axle nuts about one turn and then drive in a couple of figure-eights in a parking lot, Sometimes it will loosen them up. Don't go crazy, though.

This will work. I've done it a few times. Just a full turn or less on the axle nut then put the pin in and drive it like normal or less for a bit or a day. Don't over do it, no burnouts! Do this a day before using a puller also.

I real puller will make easy work of it if it needs to be done quickly, but sometimes you have to improvise. Nothing like the right tool for the job, makes life easy, or you can pound a rock on it for a bit. haha just kidding.

Last edited by Tinker; 06-24-2018 at 10:04 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:02 PM   #10
Tinker

Remember to reinstall the axle pin correct way and torque to 200# or at least 150#
Old 06-24-2018, 11:34 PM   #11
Charlie Stephens

Reading some of the short cuts to using a good puller makes me want to suggest you install safety hubs or safety clips to keep the drum and hub on the car if the axle fails. Safety hubs or safety clips are a good idea even if you do everything the correct way.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:37 PM   #12
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Reading some of the short cuts to using a good puller makes me want to suggest you install safety hubs or safety clips to keep the drum and hub on the car if the axle fails. Safety hubs or safety clips are a good idea even if you do everything the correct way.

Charlie Stephens

I installed them on my 38. Great reminder Charlie, Definitely a good idea. Peace of mind driving 70mph down the road. Puller or not, it's a fine safety piece, shouldn't run a banjo without it.

absolute most and easy and economical to do.

Last edited by Tinker; 06-24-2018 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:52 AM   #13
JM 35 Sedan

Every rear hub/drum I remove on these Ford banjo rears, I start off using the correct type puller, as if they are definitely going to tight on the tapered axle. Some come off very easily, but most are tight enough to require the correct type puller, and some are so tight you would almost think someone welded them on the axle.
If you're going to be driving and working on these old cars, make sure you own, or have access to the right tools for the job.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:05 AM   #14
19Fordy

Two styles of home made hub safety clips. Both fasten to wheel cylinder bolts.
First is for the 1939 Lincoln MT Products kit. Second pair is for stock 1940 Ford.
Follow Tinker and Charlie's advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9256b.jpg (39.2 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7775small.jpg (39.4 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7756small.jpg (25.1 KB, 134 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 06-25-2018 at 09:18 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:19 PM   #15
Tony, NY

It is possible to have removable drums without the hubs, if you want.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:21 PM   #16
34pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
This will work. I've done it a few times. Just a full turn or less on the axle nut then put the pin in and drive it like normal or less for a bit or a day. Don't over do it, no burnouts! Do this a day before using a puller also.

I real puller will make easy work of it if it needs to be done quickly, but sometimes you have to improvise. Nothing like the right tool for the job, makes life easy, or you can pound a rock on it for a bit. haha just kidding.

Ha, its a stock 48 flathead, I don't think they will burn rubber, will they?
Old 06-25-2018, 07:06 PM   #17
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34pickup View Post
Ha, its a stock 48 flathead, I don't think they will burn rubber, will they?
That's funny! Go try it! Be prepared to replace axle keys (or worse), though. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:30 PM   #18
edhd58

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
That's funny! Go try it! Be prepared to replace axle keys (or worse), though. DD
If you like trying burnouts be prepared to replace the ring and pinion, its about a grand after all the parts and pieces.
Ask me how I know, I'm on my 3rd rear end. Mom never said I was the brightest bulb on the tree.
edhd58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:40 AM   #19
Mac VP

We do rent the Winfield removal tool, which is a correct reproduction of the original K R Wilson tool. Don’t try using a jaw type puller for this job. They will work sometimes if the drum is not on tight, but they can cause damage if your drums are nice and tight. If you cannot find a buddy with the tool, just call us.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:35 AM   #20
34pickup

I may just buy a puller. I love tools. What do you think about this design they sell on ebay?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hub puller.jpg (25.8 KB, 192 views)