Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-28-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
wrndln

Default Radiator support rod question

I am pasting in a picture I took of the gas tank ends of the radiator support rods and some hardware that was on the rods. The judging guidelines don't show the hardware and the order the hardware should be installed (at least I couldn't find it in the JG's). My cars are/were basket cases, so I don't have anything to go by. I suspect the thick flat washer with the large hole goes on first, then maybe a lock washer and then the nut, but that is only an educated guess. I think I understand how the radiator end is done - nut, lock washer, radiator bracket, lock washer, second nut. If someone knows for sure the way the gas tank end of the rods are attached, please post a response.
Rusty Nelson

wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
Gunmetal blue2

Default Re: Radiator support rod question

I am not Rusty, but the rod slides in the groove on the gas tank. Then the washer is slide over the rod tight up against the bracket with the groove in it. Then the nut.
Gunmetal blue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Rusty, you listed the order correctly.

BTW, I still need an original concave washer for one of my radiator support rods, if someone has one. They never seem to show up at the swap meets.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:35 PM   #4
pooch

The repo rods come with only one spring washer on the radiator end, is there supposed to be 2 on each end ?
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:20 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
The repo rods come with only one spring washer on the radiator end, is there supposed to be 2 on each end ?
Good question, so I just looked it up in my October 1, 1928 Parts Price List, and it says 2 cupped washers and 2 nuts for the rear of the two rods, and 4 nuts and 4 lock washers (A-22217) for the front of the rods. The 4 nuts and 4 lock washers are raven finish.

No finish is listed for the rear nuts and cupped washers. When I looked up the cupped washers in the rear of the PPL I was surprised to see it listed as a plain washer 1/8" x 1", but it's called a cupped washer on page 23.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:28 PM   #6
Marco Tahtaras

This pic was included in the JS revisions (Area 1). Based on original cars the transition to the common type was during late 1928 so it will only be found on the tubular type rods while the later type (A-22337) will be found on both rod types. I can't be certain whether of not the early type used a lock washer, but the later type definitely did.