Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
Ol' Ron

Default Fuel regulator

I just bought a fuel regulator from Macs. The add said made in USA the box says made in Korea and the directions are for an electric fuel pump.
Now I realize I have bad eyesight so I ass-u-me the regulator is made in the USA but the box is made in Korea. Right or am I missing something.
Nice looking Holley regulator, one input and two outlets??
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Fuel regulator

Your eyes are not fooling you. My Holley fuel reg says Korea right on it.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
4dFord/SC

Must be Koreatown in LA
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
FRITZ47

Unfortunately many well-known old time USA companies, who at one time made their products in the U.S., are now sending most of their manufacturing off shore. However, the seller of the product (who is not the manufacturer - in your case Mac's) isn't notified, and as far as they know, they think they are selling USA made products. Their ad copy and catalogs are still saying "Made in USA" and they either are not yet aware of the change, or haven't had time to change their catalog copy. Catalogs take months to prepare and publish, and even web sites take time to make changes. At one time it was a serious thing to misrepresent the country of origin. Now no one seems to care. As consumers we no longer have many options - how sad.

Fritz
FRITZ47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
OldDad

Does your Korean Holley regulator work, Ron? I've used those whenever I need a regulator, and thought I had figured out which one to buy!
OldDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
Ol' Ron

Just got it, hope it works the Mr Gasket didn't. Stayed at 4 lbs.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
Flathead man2

You got an electric pump?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
ken ct
BANNED

Theres nothing wrong with original usa made pumps that are rebuilt with quality usa parts by a few small time rebuilders on here.Charlie NY on here is one of them among a few others. ken ct.

Last edited by ken ct; 04-03-2013 at 08:59 AM. Reason: spelling
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
oldford2

I picked up a Holley reg. also. I have not installed it yet. I put a gauge in one of the outlets. I think (?) the 2 holes on either side of the inlet can be tapped to attach to a bracket. I plan to mount this before my mechanical pump. The electric pump is only used occasionally. I know the electric pump pressure will blow by the float needle valve. Any comments/advice? Thanks
John

oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
cuzncletus

I know we're getting off track here, but I'm running an Offy regulator. It's in line right after the fuel pump with a gauge T'd off it, essentially the same as OldFord2 has posted. Relying on the gauge I've been able to regulate my fuel pressure to keep my 94's from seeping. One word of warning: The rubber hose I had running from the fuel pump to the carbs was less than 6 months old. When working on the carbs, I fired the engine up only to see a constant high velocity stream of gas shooting out of hose and onto the engine. The hose was not excessively bent or kinked. My only answer is that c%&# they sell us for gas these days with all the alcohol in it had rotted the hose that quickly. I'm running all high pressure fuel injection hose for ethanol now.

P.S. I also have an electric pump in line for priming the pump. As I'm getting things sorted out I'm finding it unneccessary.
cuzncletus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #11
kraken

I had an interesting problem with the Holley regulator. When I installed it, I had a slight leak on the pump side, and the plastic lens on the gauge got gasoline on it. I wiped it off, and it acutally ate the plastic, so the gauge was hard to read. I took it back and they didn't want to exchange it - said since I got gas on it, it was not warrantied. I don't know if this was because of the ethanol in the gas, but I was suprised to see gasoline ruin a fuel pressure regulator.
kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
ken ct
BANNED

Smile Re: Fuel regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzncletus View Post
I know we're getting off track here, but I'm running an Offy regulator. It's in line right after the fuel pump with a gauge T'd off it, essentially the same as OldFord2 has posted. Relying on the gauge I've been able to regulate my fuel pressure to keep my 94's from seeping. One word of warning: The rubber hose I had running from the fuel pump to the carbs was less than 6 months old. When working on the carbs, I fired the engine up only to see a constant high velocity stream of gas shooting out of hose and onto the engine. The hose was not excessively bent or kinked. My only answer is that c%&# they sell us for gas these days with all the alcohol in it had rotted the hose that quickly. I'm running all high pressure fuel injection hose for ethanol now.

P.S. I also have an electric pump in line for priming the pump. As I'm getting things sorted out I'm finding it unneccessary.
Ive been promoteing fuel inject. hose for use for a couple of yrs now,why it isn't being used is beond me??? ken ct. This corn gas eats up regular rubber fuel line for lunch. word to the wise. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #13
dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzncletus View Post

I've changed my flex lines three times since I finished the car in 2001. And they are going to put MORE corn in our gas. I can tell you where they can put their corn.....
Old 04-05-2013, 01:21 AM   #14
mike42

Ron and Old Ford2.....

I had a Mr. Gasket go to hell within 2 months. Leaked all over the place. Holley seems to be really good. I also added a gauge to it to keep pressure at 2.5 psi. I have a electric pump also. So far....it looks and works well.

Send me your email address' and I'll send photos of how I set mine up. I have tried and tried and tried to attach photos here, but I cannot get it to work.

Mike42
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #15
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken View Post
I had an interesting problem with the Holley regulator. When I installed it, I had a slight leak on the pump side, and the plastic lens on the gauge got gasoline on it. I wiped it off, and it acutally ate the plastic, so the gauge was hard to read. I took it back and they didn't want to exchange it - said since I got gas on it, it was not warrantied. I don't know if this was because of the ethanol in the gas, but I was suprised to see gasoline ruin a fuel pressure regulator.
Plastic polish and patience will clear up the lense. Take a while and a lot of rubbing.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:42 AM   #16
Motorhead6

Got 2 Holley regulators. First one corroded up within a few months. Been using Lucas and Sta-Bil Ethanol treatment and the 2nd one is still working after about 3 years. Knock on wood! :-)
Motorhead6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #17
Motorhead6

You're right about the two mounting holes. Both of mine came with those holes tapped and even had a mounting bracket included in the package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
I picked up a Holley reg. also. I have not installed it yet. I put a gauge in one of the outlets. I think (?) the 2 holes on either side of the inlet can be tapped to attach to a bracket. I plan to mount this before my mechanical pump. The electric pump is only used occasionally. I know the electric pump pressure will blow by the float needle valve. Any comments/advice? Thanks
John

Motorhead6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #18
BillM

Quote:
I plan to mount this before my mechanical pump. The electric pump is only used occasionally.
I wonder if you can "pull" gas through the regulator rather than "push" it with the pump connected to the inlet? Maybe it will work as there would be a slight vacuum on the outlet so the pressure differential is similar to having more pressure on the inlet.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #19
42guy

I have had a Holley for 8 years now. Still no problems. Don't have the box so don't remember where it was made.
42guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #20
Ol' Ron

Thanks guys, will give it a go. Let you know how it works out.