Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
wrndln

Default Rear fender welt installation

Does anyone have a good idea for installing the rear fender welting on a coupe/roadster? The problem I see is only the rear most bolt (very bottom) has a hole in the welting to retain the welting, unlike the front fenders that have all the bolts to hold the welting in place. It looks like friction is the only thing that holds the welting in place around the arc of the fender. I have seen a couple of coupe/roadsters where the welting can be slid in and out around the top part of the fender. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
jw hash

Default Re: Rear fender welt installation

put the front part of the welting in and work your way to the rear DO NOT PUNCH the lower back hole and leave the welting a little long in the back push your fender up in place snug your fender nut just a little, now get a hold of the welting in the back and pull down on it it should lay into the fender nicely, now with sharp punch push it through the lower back bolt hole. it works me.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:54 PM   #3
Marco Tahtaras

If you didn't prefit everything you may run into some surprises, but let's hope not. Over shimming of the body (or sagging running board braces) can make it tough to pinch the welting at the front half of the fender.

Keep in mind that originally Ford mounted the fender to the body before it was dropped onto the chassis which already had the the front fenders, running boards, and aprons in place. They simply pressed the fender up tight pinching the welt in place and leaving the front end of the welting to be tucked against the apron when it came down.

In our case we're typically adding the rear fenders last. Get it into position loosely with the nuts 1-2 turns from snug and fit the welting. To avoid any scratches you need to install the fender to running board bolts similarly, just tight enough that the bolts don't tilt.

I typically have the car on the ground so I use my upper leg just above the knee to force the rear tail of the fender upward and tighten the lower rear two bolts (from memory). Then with the front end of the welting formed into position do similarly to the front. However there will be more opposing tension there due to the running board. You may choose to use a little help with a padded block and a bottle jack. Do not over do the jack! Tighten everything and release any temporary supports. If all is well the welting will remain snugged into place.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:55 AM   #4
30cabriolet

I took some extra welt material and sewed long tabs onto the fender welt spaced every 4-5 inches. Then mount the fender with the welt and pull the tabs as needed to get it the welting to sit correctly. When your done you just cut off the part of the tabs that sticks out from under the fender.
30cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
wrndln

Thanks JW Hash, Marco and 30cabriolet for the help. I will try a combination of your suggestions. Hopefully it will work out OK. Sometime I tend to "over think" things and they end up not being a problem. It just seems there isn't much to keep the welting "secured" between the fender and body.
Rusty Nelson
Old 10-31-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
Hunter

Rusty,

I had exactly the same concern. However, once installed and the fasteners tightened the welt does stay in place.

Thanks - Hunter
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
wrndln

Thanks for the input, Hunter. I had the fenders installed as a dry fit without the welting, but had some colorsanding problems (a small place on both rear fender broke through the Concept near the lower part of the bead). I am ready to reinstall them now after sanding, repainting and colorsanding them. I will see how it goes.
Rusty