Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
leo

Question Most Liberal Insurance Underwriters?

Which carrier has the most liberal terms? Do any of them allow you to drive your Model A to work or the story once and a while? I have JC Taylor and I know they frown on that to the point that I would question their willingness to honor a claim if I used my Model A for either of those two trips. Don't misunderstand, I'm not talking about using a Model A as a daily driver with a collector car policy, just some leniency.
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Dal's Dream Car

Default Re: Most Liberal Insurance Underwriters?

I happen to be an agent am not aware of any policy that has restrictions on the frequency of use of the car. What are they telling you? Personally I use Hagerty and I can't find anything in the policy that says I can't drive it every day.
Dal's Dream Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
Dune Country

I use Hagerty for the '56
occasional driving is acceptable

best price
Dune Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
jkcrosson

I have Hagerty and ask the specific question "Can I drive my car to work and the grocery store occasionally?". I was told that they do not want the cars used as daily drivers but an occasional trip to work or the store would be fine. I don't know how this verbal instruction would hold up in court, but I've taken them at their word. I drive mine about once a week and all day most Saturdays. But I only live 1-1/2 miles from work.
jkcrosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
modelAtony

Leo, I've had jc taylor on my 31 tudor since 2000. I drive my car about 1200 miles per month now down from 1500 before I retired. Great Race in 2003 and had to upgrade ins to 300,000 . they didn't even charge me extra for it . 2010 I got stupid , was on my cell phone to daughter. I dropped my phone and reached down to pick it up and moved the steering wheel to the right and WHAMMM. I hit a tree limb sticking out on edge of a back road along the swamp. I told them what happen the sent someone the next day here local that rep. them . I asked them how many shops to contact, they said they didn't work that way take it to who ever I wanted. shop had car 5 days. on the 4th day I already had check in hand for full cost . my ins for $15,000.00 runs about $100.00 per month. have fun modelAtony Lafayette,la
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
ken ct
BANNED

I use Grundy,they have no mileage limit per yr. Check your policy cost $180 per yr for $24,000 coverage. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
Larry Seemann

Hagerty's only requirement, and it's an acceptability not a coverage requirement, is that you own and have insured ( with any insurance company)a regular use car. So, as others have said, with Hagerty there are no restrictions. Drive it as much as you like. ( Before retirement I was a Hagerty insurance agent)
Old 03-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
1crosscut

Smile Re: Most Liberal Insurance Underwriters?

I too have my truck insured with Hagerty. They are not too fussy on how much it is driven as long as you have regular use car as Larry states. My restriction is on how I have it licensed. I have historic plates so the Nebraska DMV says it can only be driven for club functions, shows, parades, an occasional "Sunday" drive and test drives. I guess if I ever get pulled over I'll make sure that I explain to the officer that I just adjusted my clutch.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #9
Willie Krash

Dave my Model T has historical plates. I have an auto electric shop. If I'm just out driving I wear my uniform (shirt). Dang coils officer.
On my model A I have regular plates and State Farm insurance covers it. I can drive it but I did stipulate less than 1500 miles a year, give or take. Full coverage, towing the whole bit. $250 deductible. Not the cheapest but a local agent that I have a lot of polices with...
$142 for six months. I park it in the winter. If the driving season extends longer I just add a month. Naturally were you live matters. If I ever retire I'll switch to Hagerty's.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
P.S.

Hagerty does allow occasional use, it says so in writing. As for specifics, like destinations, it doesn't say. However, their FAQ on the website covers it well.

The local agent says a trip to the store is OK with them, so that's good enough for me. It's the agent that has to worry about the claim anyway.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:28 PM   #11
luckyal

I have Hagerty and I received a detailed notice concerning use about a year ago that said you absolutely could not drive to work.
Al
luckyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #12
Terry, NJ

My sticking point is the requirement that the car must be locked under cover when not in use. I simply don't have a garage where I can put them all.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #13
QGolden

I don't recall any usage or storage restrictions from my insurance on previous cars. My A is not registered yet, but my '68 is. They looked at it and took photos, but never asked what I was going to do with it. I have a Motorcycle with a Sidecar and the same thing applied. I use an independent agent and all my policy's are with them.

In NH, use is governed by the registration level that you use. If you opt for Antique Plates the state tells you that the vehicle is used "only for parades, exhibitions, car club activities, and other public events." But if you just register it as a Ford Model A and opt for a regular issue or vanity plate, then you can run it all you want.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #14
denis4x4

A word of caution; check with your agent as to whether or not you will be covered under an umbrella policy from company A if you have an accident with your Model A insured by company B. I have an '85 Caballero (an El Camino with GMC trim) that I switched coverage from a classic car policy to a regular policy just for the reason that I was driving it more frequently and my umbrella coverage would not be in effect under the classic car insurance

The biggest problem I see is that there are 50 sets of rules governing auto insurance.

Last edited by denis4x4; 03-23-2013 at 09:48 AM. Reason: typo
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #15
Keith True

Quint,The N.H. antique plate rules have very few restrictions.They still list that one line sentence when you look up the antique plate law,but it dates from the first issuance of antique plates.I am not a computer person,and the N.H. gov website is not idiot friendly and as I found out,not complete.I asked about the plate restrictions in Concord a couple of years ago.They found it and printed it for me,and I asked how I could find it on the website and was told it was most likely not there,(although it's supposed to be)or it would take an expert to wade through everything else to find it.If you look up the law,RSA 261:89-a the page has been eliminated.If you look up the next one pertaining to that,259:4 it shows the passage you quoted.The printed one I got in person is three paragraphs long,starting with your passage,but the first word has been changed from only to primarily.As explained to me,pleasure use is allowed,occaisional other use permitted.Bottom line was if you register your 76 Chevy pickup as an antique and use it to go to work every day you will have a problem.I've had antique plates since 1972,the only time I'm stopped is when they want to look at the cars.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #16
QGolden

Thank you Keith, you are correct I did pull that line from the NH.Gov website, and have not bothered to look for other details. I do now seem recall the wording "Pleasure Use" as you have indicated and I am sure you are exactly correct. You comments provided a challenge to me to find the RSA, but I did not find anything other than what I originally reported. I even checked the "SAF"'s but did not find any additional rules there either. I would love to see that document that you have. But at the risk of Hijacking this thread, the original intent of my comment was in regards to insurance companies regulating use.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #17
leo

It appears that there is some controversy here about being allowed to drive to work and the store. While there are verbal OK's the documentation does not seem to exist to back it up. Luckyal said Hagerty says no way even though other Hagerty users said otherwise. With regard to Dal's Dream Car, it does not say you can't drive it every day but it does not say you can either. Sometimes what is not explicit is not period. Then another point is the type of plates you use. Here in New Jersey if you use Historic plates there are restrictions on use. However, I always get annoyed when I see a car which is over 25 years old with Historic plates being used as a daily driver because that could give all the collectors a black eye in the future if the state wants to get tough. Back to insurance, I think that depending on the details of a claim in the event of a loss the insurance company may have an out if they wish to use it because of the non-specific details of the policy. Please let me know if anyone does not agree.
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #18
John LaVoy

We switched to Grundy many years ago because of the no mileage limit feature. We also like the fact they would insure a car that was taken apart for restoration.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #19
luckyal

I will attempt to find the notice from Hagerty and I also asked my agent for another copy. He is very definitive that no driving to wotrk is allowed.
Al
Old 03-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #20
luckyal

the Hagerty website states you can drive your car on a limited basis- e.g. club functions, exhibitions, organized meets, tours and limited pleasure driving ( no mention of work ).

It also states that collector vehicles must be stored in an enclosed, secure structure when not in use.
Obviously you also can not park it in your driveway overnight at your house or cottage. It is worth calling your agent to find out what you can and can not do.
Al