Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-19-2021, 10:53 AM   #1
Vanspeed

Default upgrade to 1932 brakes?

A few people have told me I should update my front brakes to 1932. My car has a flathead 8 in her and I still run the stock A mechanical brakes. I bought some '32 spindles to get my tie rod more to my liking and this is when the conversation came up. "Why don't you swap to '32 brakes as well" I was not aware that there is a difference between A and '32 brakes. If there is what is it??
Old 03-19-2021, 11:17 AM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: upgrade to 1932 brakes?

A is 11", 32 is 12" -----
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:09 PM   #3
1931 flamingo

I've seen a bunch converted to 35's.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:33 PM   #4
bettlesr

I have mine converted to '35's. Not only is it 12" but the shoes are wider than the '32 to '34. Don't know what you can do if you need new drums.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:16 PM   #5
Vanspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettlesr View Post
I have mine converted to '35's. Not only is it 12" but the shoes are wider than the '32 to '34. Don't know what you can do if you need new drums.
That is a great reply. Do they make drums for the later mechanical brakes or only the A?
Old 03-19-2021, 10:56 PM   #6
CWPASADENA

I do not think they currently reproduce drums for the '32 mechanical brakes so be sure you get drums that are not way oversize.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:48 AM   #7
Kevin in NJ

Not sure of all the mixes of parts. Honestly I am pretty sure if you just rebuild the A brakes properly everything will be great. Truthfully brake rebuilding, any year, requires special tools. Here is where you are WAY better off paying someone to just build up a set of original brakes properly centered and shoes matched to the drums.

Now for a brake technology perspective on the Fords.

Really the only difference from 31 to 32 is the size of the drums. They make have played with the braking ratios front to rear. Honestly, I have not found fact based proof of what the brake ratio is on the A or the 32. People are just making assumptions based on the brake setup, but that I do not believe is proof. (keep mind I am not saying they are wrong, just I have not found evidence to prove any statements)

As they headed to late 36 they started doing changes to increase the mechanical brake floating. The wedges got bigger holes and they did a mushroom shape adjuster pin.
The pin change allowed more vertical movement of the shoes, but not side to side at the adjuster end.
The best brake design was from late 36 where they changed over to the floating adjuster. Now the brakes could float side to side. This is the bases Flathead Teds contraption. Unfortunately his design is more of a kludge in my view point requiring the external lock nut.
In 37 they kept the rods for the brakes but in 38 they went to cables. The cables are a problem in that they stretch.
In 39 they went to juice brakes. We had a 39, you do not want juice brakes as they are always trying to fail in the early design.

One of Ford problems I believe was that he was trying to keep in own design brakes. He did not want to pay royalties for using a technology. He kept slotted screws longer even though production labor cost were higher just because he did not want to pay to use the Philips screw.

As for braking, the tires are another consideration. The A brakes work great on the A with the original type tires. The real limiting factor in stopping the A is the tire to the road. If you improve the A brakes you do not do anything but make so you can skid the tires faster. That is just wasted effort. You must switch to different tires if you want better stopping.

In the end, properly rebuilding the A brakes is not cheap, easy or fast. To many want cheap easy fast repairs so they try everything but what is known to always work- rebuilding it back to factory.

If you want to learn more about the progression of Ford braking systems you need to read some of the early V8 service bulletins. By the way, the first few years of the V8 bulletins have A info too. I think that is missed by most people.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:01 PM   #8
Jim Brierley

'32 brakes are 12" as stated above, this gives more surface area. They also have cast iron drums, now a good up-date for A brakes. Better yet are the '35 brakes, they have all the advantages of the '32-'34 brakes, plus the shoes are wider, giving even more area. I disagree with Kevin, hydraulics are the best way to go, and are trouble free. I recommend silicone (DOT-5) fluid as it rejects moisture, so the cylinders will not go bad. Hydraulics are also easier to install.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:35 PM   #9
SteveB31

I would rather have 11” brakes with new cast drums, then 12” brakes with old worn out cast drums.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:29 PM   #10
CWPASADENA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post
I would rather have 11” brakes with new cast drums, then 12” brakes with old worn out cast drums.
I agree that worn out 12" drums are no good, just like worn out cast iron 11" drums also would not be any good how ever, if you look around, good '32 drums do come up. I recently lucked out and found a pair of NOS '32 drums.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote