Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2015, 09:03 AM   #1
Tim Ayers

Default Kit for mating juice brakes to early spindles-Richard's Early V8 garage?

Does anyone know where I can buy the hydraulic conversion kit to allow the use of juice backing plates and early spindles?

The kit consists of two steel rings, two smaller adapter rings that slide over the spindle bolts and two cone-shaped shims.

Thanks,
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:19 AM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Kit for mating juice brakes to early spindles-Richard's Early V8 garage?

Speedway is not always popular on here, but they have them.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:29 AM   #3
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Kit for mating juice brakes to early spindles-Richard's Early V8 garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Hi:

Do you know what the list it under? I only found the F-100 and Mustang II conversion kits on their site. I guess I could call, but I'd like to have a part # on hand. Seems to help the ordering process.

Thanks,

Tim
Old 02-23-2015, 09:31 AM   #4
325w

Used to use a top piston ring for the steel ring. Made our own spacers.
325w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:35 AM   #5
Tony, NY

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Hydrau...ings,3286.html
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:37 AM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Well, I'm moving to slow this morning! Tony has it.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:39 AM   #7
Tim Ayers

Thank you all!
Old 02-23-2015, 11:27 AM   #8
trainguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
I have never had any problems with Speedway,I only wish some of the other suppliers were a good as them!Phil
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #9
deuce_roadster

I have the Early V8 Garage kit on my 32 coupe. Go to their website and call Richard.
Old school way was to use a Model A piston ring and chevy valve seat for the spacer but the piston ring is cast iron and every one I have removed has been broken.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:06 PM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainguy View Post
I have never had any problems with Speedway,I only wish some of the other suppliers were a good as them!Phil
I agree, but because they sell a lot of none USA parts they are not held in high esteem. But it is about the same with most of the suppliers. Only sure way out is NOS!
Old 02-23-2015, 12:24 PM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainguy View Post
I agree with this post. Have purchased many things from Speedway, and many orders have been heavy parts that were sent with free shipping. I know some of their stuff is "knock off" from China, but I usually know how to avoid that.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-23-2015 at 04:42 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:59 PM   #12
john in illinois

On my model A I had trouble with the cone rotating with the seal and wearing.
This caused frequent wheel bearing adjustments when I was on a long trip.

I discovered MT Car products Had ones that were a light press fit on the spindle and with a little locktite ,they have been trouble free.

http://www.mtcarproducts.com/Adapters-and-Spacers.html

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #13
Charlie Stephens

Your problem is the same as they have with a Model A. Try Dennis Cling at clingsaftermarket.com, (480) 777-1202 I am sure he has them. He also modifies backing plates by plugging and redrilling the holes to the new bolt pattern. Most people, myself included, just slot the holes.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:48 PM   #14
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Your problem is the same as they have with a Model A. Try Dennis Cling at clingsaftermarket.com, (480) 777-1202 I am sure he has them. He also modifies backing plates by plugging and redrilling the holes to the new bolt pattern. Most people, myself included, just slot the holes.

Charlie Stephens
I want to install juice plates to '32 spindles.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:13 PM   #15
Kahuna

Tim
I got brakes for my 32 spindles from Richard @ Early V8 garage. The backing plates (Lincoln type) bolted right on without problem. I also got the spacers, etc from Richard.
Everything fit like a glove, no slotting necessary.
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:13 PM   #16
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I want to install juice plates to '32 spindles.
This is what I have on my '32 (post war, 1946-48, Ford brakes). The only problem is that the bolt pattern in the spindles is larger on the hydraulic brakes than it is on the 1928-36 spindles. Although the spindles are different the instructions for the Model A are the same as they are for any 1928-36 passenger chassis. Try Dennis Cling at clingsaftermarket.com, (480) 777-1202 I am sure he has the adapters. He also modifies backing plates by plugging and redrilling the holes to the new bolt pattern. Most people, myself included, just slot the holes. Richard Lacy at [email protected], (626) 338-2282 is also an excellent source of parts and information.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 02-23-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Charlie Stephens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:25 PM   #17
John R

In my recent experience with the small ring that provides the sealing surface: the one sold by MT and EFV8 Garage is slightly too large (vs. Ford spec) on the ID and needs to be assembled with locktite on the spindle. Some of the spindles are also worn a few thousands in this area, making matters worse.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:55 PM   #18
prpmmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
This is what I have on my '32 (post war, 1946-48, Ford brakes). The only problem is that the bolt pattern in the spindles is larger on the hydraulic brakes than it is on the 1928-36 spindles. Although the spindles are different the instructions for the Model A are the same as they are for any 1928-36 passenger chassis. Try Dennis Cling at clingsaftermarket.com, (480) 777-1202 I am sure he has the adapters. He also modifies backing plates by plugging and redrilling the holes to the new bolt pattern. Most people, myself included, just slot the holes. Richard Lacy at [email protected], (626) 338-2282 is also an excellent source of parts and information.

Charlie Stephens
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...-fords.215720/ Neat Thread!! Pete
prpmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:34 PM   #19
Richard (EV8G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John R View Post
In my recent experience with the small ring that provides the sealing surface: the one sold by MT and EFV8 Garage is slightly too large (vs. Ford spec) on the ID and needs to be assembled with locktite on the spindle. Some of the spindles are also worn a few thousands in this area, making matters worse.
The bearing spacers from MT and Early V8 Garage were made to be a press fit on UNWORN spindles, but almost all of the spindles have enough wear that red locktite is needed to prevent rotation.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:29 AM   #20
HotRodmicky

Buy Richards kit!
Way better than speedway
HotRodmicky is offline   Reply With Quote