Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
Ol' Ron

Default Stablizer vs sway bar deffinition

I'm looking for the bushings for a 1942-48 sway bar. Now these front suspensions also have a stabilizer bar as well. The confusion comes from the fact that both parts take the same bushings acording to the parts list and if you check Google they are both the same. However, I was always under the impression that a sway bar connectes from the axle to the frame to prevent the car fron swaying. where as the stablizer bar keeps the car level in a turn. etting Old is a b*t*h.
Job lot doesn't even show a picture of it.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
V8 Bob

Default Re: Stablizer vs sway bar deffinition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I'm looking for the bushings for a 1942-48 sway bar. Now these front suspensions also have a stabilizer bar as well. The confusion comes from the fact that both parts take the same bushings acording to the parts list and if you check Google they are both the same. However, I was always under the impression that a sway bar connectes from the axle to the frame to prevent the car fron swaying. where as the stablizer bar keeps the car level in a turn. etting Old is a b*t*h.
Job lot doesn't even show a picture of it.
Ron,
The '40 stabilizer, or sway bar, acts like a torsion bar to resist body sway or lean. An additional stabilizing device in later year models called a track bar extends from the frame on one side to the axle on the opposite side, controlling axle sidewise movement in relation to the frame.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
Old Henry

The stabilizer bar attaches to both ends of the axle and through bushings on the frame to keep the car from tipping when it turns. The other bar is a tracking bar that's attached to one end of the axle and the other end to the frame to keep the car in line with the front wheels as it would otherwise move side to side on the shackles. It has nothing to do with tipping. I'm coming up with a diagram that shows the difference and will add when I've got it.

Here is the diagram of the stabilizer bar:

And photo of front end showing both.

This is the track bar bushing 51A-18197:

Available here: http://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/cgcat...G&searchnumber=

This is the stabilizer bushing part # 21A-5484-A:

Available here: http://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/cgcat...G&searchnumber=

Last edited by Old Henry; 08-27-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
ford3

a sway bar is a supension part that stops a car from leaning to one side to much in turns, also called a anti roll bar, anti sway bars are used on cars with real coil springs to stop side motion of the body, with out one you feel like your broad sliding from side to side going down the road
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
Ol' Ron

When running the stock cart we had a track bar attached to each front wheel lower control arm. The bar was adjustable to preload the inside axle. This assembly looked just like the stabilizer bar on the front of my truck.
Now the nomenclature of a track bare is non adjustable. The confusing is permanent. Howeve. I can now get the bushing for my ?????? bar. Thanks Henery.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
Bluebell

Ol Ron, The stabilizer (sway) bar is usually found on independant suspension, and is usually anchored to each frame rail, and its ends, connected to each wish bone. The superior version of the Parnard, arm (track bar) is a Watts linkage
Attached Images
File Type: jpg panhard_displacement.jpg (22.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg swaybarsBW1.jpg (35.3 KB, 30 views)
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #7
PeteVS

It appears that they added the panhard bar in '42 when they went to the straight drop down shackles instead of having them at 45 degrees like since the T. I've got a '48 rear in a '32 and there's very little room for the panhard bar. I've tried without luck to find a '41 rear spring since I believe that the '41 had the same shackle spacing as the '42 and up, but a shorter spring to give the earlier shackle angle. There's NO stability as it is now.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
Ol' Ron

I understand what they do, I've been puttzing with cars for over 60 years. I was the nomenclature of the words sway and stabilizer bar. Now it's called a Track bar?? But I thought a track bar was adjustable, like the ones on NASCAR.
"He's adhusting the track bar" they do this every time they come in the pits.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #9
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I understand what they do, I've been puttzing with cars for over 60 years. It was the nomenclature of the words sway and stabilizer bar. Now it's called a Track bar?? But I thought a track bar was adjustable, like the ones on NASCAR.
"He's adhusting the track bar" they do this every time they come in the pits.
A track bar is an ADJUSTABLE anti sway bar, as you said.
It can be adjusted by a bracket with various holes at each end (early days) or by a screw (NASCAR). It is used to dynamically load or unload the right rear wheel.
People will call this stuff by many different names and many times don't have a clue what it actually does. Confusing the name with the actual item is common also.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:51 AM   #10
Bluebell

Sorry Pete, I know your a clever bloke with lots of hands on experience, but I have to disagree this time.
The "track of a vehicle is the width (center to center of the tyres on the ground or something like that)
We talk about "wheel base" front to rear, and "track" right to left
A track bar (panhard rod, Watts linkage, track control arm) keeps your wheels in the right place under the body, or in the correct relationship with the frame, when veiwed from front or rear, roughly speaking.

The sway bar, (stabilizer bar, anti roll bar) is there to stop body roll or more accurately to control the tendency of the frame to roll away from the turn during cornering.
I guess from area to area these names are different, just like mudguards, and fenders, or wings.
Any how, not trying to tick you off, just trying to remove the confusion for other people.
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #11
itslow

Sway bar = Anti-roll bar = Stabilizer bar. The device that limits body roll around the cars longitudinal axis (axis that runs front to back).

Track bar = Panhard bar. Controls side-side movement of the axle in relation to the frame. A Watts link is a more advanced design for the same purpose.

A track bar is NOT a sway-bar.

The adjustable vs. non-adjustable has no bearing on the terminology. Both track bars and sway bars can be adjustable or non-adjustable. Those used on street cars are typically non-adjustable, while those on race cars will be due to the need to be able to tweak settings for each track condition.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #12
Ol' Ron

Thanks, I'm glad we got that cleared up. Now I can buy the right bushings. stupid is, what stupid does.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #13
Pete

Quote[ "I guess from area to area these names are different, just like mudguards, and fenders, or wings." ]Quote

You said it all right there.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote