Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2019, 04:18 PM   #1
mreman

Default Pasadena High School Model A Club-- Update 6 of 6

Today is the 9th of April and we will be pulling the winning ticket for our project car, a 1929 Roadster on the 20th of April. Last minuet ticket are being sent to us. However that is not the purpose of this update.

Thank you all for your support of our endeavor to introduce the younger generations to our Model A hobby.

Here is where I make an appeal for those who have read our previous appeals and done nothing to give us your support or suggestions. Your silence is deafening.

Do you think we are doing the right thing; Do you think we should do nothing to encourage the youth to learn about our hobby; Should we change what we ask for donations for our project car raffle tickets.

Break your silence and let us know what you are thinking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190324_095855.jpg (85.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Ford Barn Project 1.jpg (76.2 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by mreman; 04-09-2019 at 04:30 PM. Reason: add another foto
mreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:41 PM   #2
henry's 31

Default Re: Pasadena High School Model A Club-- Update 6 of 6

I for one think this is a great way to get the youth involved in the hobby that we all love. If the youth does not get involved who is going to continue the love of the Model A when we are gone. The raffle is a great vehicle to help the school program and in addition to the knowledge they also see an immediate value of the work they are doing that helps their school. My opinion: this is a win win program. Please continue this program.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:49 PM   #3
Ted Duke

Anything you do to get youth INVOLVED is worthwhile. Getting them involved in antique autos is even better. I worked with BSA for over 25 years and GSA for over 25 years back when the organizations believed in what they were founded on and every moment spent with the youth of America was worth it although some of them tried to make me gray. Didn't work, my hair fell out.

IMHO $100 is a little steep for an A I would have to pay a large sum to transport 3000 miles if I won and that I likely would not.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:56 AM   #4
Y-Blockhead

I think the PHS staff and volunteer members of the Santa Anita A's are doing a fantastic job mentoring these young persons and providing a great service for our hobby.

My club, The Harbor Area Model A Club in Torrance, CA bought three raffle tickets and I bought one for myself and one for my wife (altho she will never drive it, wink - wink).
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:57 AM   #5
Tinbasher

Keep up the great work. This is how it starts. You have no idea of where this will direct the students in there life. It will open many doors in the future because of the interest. So where do I get a ticket!!JP
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:04 AM   #6
Jim M

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Wonderful idea. I have a friend who just retired and some time ago we got into a discussion about my new hobby - a 1929 Model A roadster and all the cars I had when I was a teenager and wish I had kept. He smiled and told me he still had the first car he owned - a Model A pickup truck. Who knows maybe one of these youngsters will continue on the hobby and MAYBE even save their car. Lot worse things they could be doing these days!
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:32 AM   #7
daveymc29

JMHO, but I think that it would be a real shame if someone from outside the school won the car. Have a cash prize that anyone can win, but the car goes to the school family someway. What gain if the kids work on it for three years, or however long, and I win it. I can go buy one anytime, they have blood sweat and tears into this thing, I'm sure that most of the folks supporting the project would be proud to see it tooling around town off and on, I sure would rather than know it is in Minnesota being driven on salted roads by someones whose only interest was they bought a ticket,
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #8
1928Mik

Good idea.....I will be in Pasadena the weekend of the 20th, I may have to stop by! I would certainly give it a good home here in Ohio, although I could give it to my daughter in Pasadena and she could cruise it by the high school now and then..

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:48 AM   #9
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
JMHO, but I think that it would be a real shame if someone from outside the school won the car. Have a cash prize that anyone can win, but the car goes to the school family someway. What gain if the kids work on it for three years, or however long, and I win it.
I think you are missing the point. The students restore the car (this is their second one) and LEARN how to work on it. They then Raffle the car to support the program, purchase another car and parts for the following year. Raffle= 750 tickets max (IF they sell that amount) X $100. You do the math.

Every year some students graduate and they get new students to LEARN about cars and what it takes to restore one. It is a perpetual thing. The Raffling off of the car is what helps keep it going, along with the volunteers from the Santa Anita A's and the mentors from Pasadena High School.

Personally I bought tickets. If I win, GREAT. If I don't I feel good that I supported a great program to get young people interested in Model As and our hobby.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 04-10-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:21 AM   #10
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928Mik View Post
Good idea.....I will be in Pasadena the weekend of the 20th, I may have to stop by! I would certainly give it a good home here in Ohio, although I could give it to my daughter in Pasadena and she could cruise it by the high school now and then..
Have you bought a Raffle ticket?