Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
Walt Dupont--Me.

Default Echlin Napa Points

Just a little experance I had with Echlin points from Napa a couple of years ago. I bought a set form my local Napa. Went to instale the points, The threaded hole in the points where you screw the copper strap to, there was no threads in the hole. Both sets. I brought them back, they ordered another set over night, I checked them right on the counter, one had no threads and the other only had some scratches where the thread should be. I went to another parts store, got a set, (Stanard brand) they were perfect except they don't have the brass sleeve that goes down over the stud. I guess you cain't have everything. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
harry jackshaft

Default Re: Echlin Napa Points

hi walt, do you have a part number for standard? i tried to pick up a set last week and the shop said they have been discontinued.. 37 to 48 thanks, josh
Old 05-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
Ed Pitts

Walt, I just picked up a set a couple of weeks ago from NAPA and just checked and both of mine have threads. The box only had one of the two points, so had to get another box to make the set. The points look good. Ed
Ed Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
ken ct
BANNED

I have USA made points in "BORGE WARNER" brand if you need them. Excellent quality.I use them in all my rebuilds. ken ct. 1-203-260-5945.cell
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
BUBBAS IGNITION

After using many different brands etc i have found the CS 47 Echlins are the best overall.
After doing many of these units over the last few years i have found that i can set up the distributor , run it on a machine for a few minutes and see the adjustment change in what would be only a few road miles...
The fix is to soak the cs47 contacts in marvel mystry oil and then just clean lightly with brake clean and install.
The adjustment stays for a much longer time etc.
I figure the point rubbing block absorbs some of the lube and gradually gives it up.
A " works for me " tip .....
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
Craig CT

Walt I just sent you an email did you get it?
Craig CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
Bruce/CT

Hi,
Last year the counterman and I went thru 4 boxes of NAPA points until we found a box with 2 points in it. Quality control!!
bruce/CT
Bruce/CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #8
George/Maine

I don,t know if they are still in Ct. That used to be a good company.That area Branford Ct is so expensive,cheap help just does,nt get it.Quality control today a NON productive job. Maybe they figure you have a tap and could do your taping,or cheaper to NOT tap at all. There realy is no excause.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dupont--Me. View Post
Just a little experance I had with Echlin points from Napa a couple of years ago. I bought a set form my local Napa. Went to instale the points, The threaded hole in the points where you screw the copper strap to, there was no threads in the hole. Both sets. I brought them back, they ordered another set over night, I checked them right on the counter, one had no threads and the other only had some scratches where the thread should be. I went to another parts store, got a set, (Stanard brand) they were perfect except they don't have the brass sleeve that goes down over the stud. I guess you cain't have everything. Walt
Walt, When I was rebuilding distributors a few years ago, I was buying a dozen sets at a time. Perhaps 3 - 4 of those sets had one side not threaded. Easy enough to tap the hole but then again, why should you have to? I did but by principal was not pleased.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
34fivewindow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dupont--Me. View Post
Walt,
If your still having trouble getting points from NAPA, give these a try.
Blue Streak brand, 37 to 48 pt # FD6769X & FD6768X. The left and right points have to be ordered as each......Ed
34fivewindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #11
uncle buck

Standard actually owns Echlin.
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:44 AM   #12
1938 Woody Cape Cod

Thanks Babba.......................
1938 Woody Cape Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #13
cason

fyi.. i get my borg-warner points at o'reilly's auto parts.
order one day get them next morning.
cason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #14
Automotive Stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle buck View Post
Standard actually owns Echlin.
Yep as of about two years ago they bought them out. There might still be Echlin's own stuff still out there though, especially on non common applications like our stuff.

For what its worth I put a set of echlin points in my '47 about 3 or 4 years ago and they've been working great. I also had a set in a new mallory dual point and they were more reliable than the mallory points and condensers that needed to be replaced yearly.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote