Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2017, 06:12 PM   #1
jackson

Default Loose adjustable lifter fix

This "fix" is not a newly discovered miracle... but I thought if I post it up my experience it would give some folks with the same issue a "search" destination.

Several years back I rebuilt my '50 Merc Flathead using all new parts from Red's Headers. Included was "1 Set Johnson Style Hollow Adj. Lifters". The engine ran fine after the rebuild, but at about 500 miles, one lifter started clicking... and got progressively worse.

I pulled the intake, found the culprit (#8 intake) and re-adjusted. Why I thought it would stay in adjustment after loosening once already is anybody's guess.

Anyway, at startup, it was quiet.... within 10 minutes it was clattering once again.

At the Lincoln Goodguys event a few weeks back I found a Speedway Motors Flathead guy, and he offered the following fix (again, new to me, but apparently this fix has been around awhile).

I once again removed the intake, adjusted the loose lifter, then sprayed the lifter liberally with brake cleaner. I turned the lifter to be sure to get all sides. I then once again checked the lash, then very carefully dripped some red thread-locker on the lifter adjustment bolt.... around the threads, where they disappear into the lifter body. At the time I was hoping that some would seep down the threads. Didn't use a lot of thread locker, fearing I'd accidentally dribble some down the lifter bore. I then let it set for 36 hours, before buttoning it back up.

Anyway, I have since driven the car over 200 miles, much of it at 65 mph in really HOT conditions (50 miles yesterday in 96 degrees) and no clicking.

Of course, there's still time for it to come loose, but I'm thinking if was going to come loose it would have happened by now. Guess time will tell.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:35 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Loose adjustable lifter fix

Doesn't "Loctite" make a thread-locker for use after assembly? I would think that if the red works, the other (green?) might be better.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:55 PM   #3
jackson

Tubman, you may be correct about green..... I didn't do any research on the various threadlockers, (maybe I should have) just took the Speedway Motors flathead guru's advice.

I've always thought that Red Threadlocker was the "strongest".

https://www.permatex.com/products/th...dlocker-red-2/

Just looked at the Permatex site.... no mention of "high temp" on the Green stuff.

Last edited by jackson; 07-09-2017 at 07:05 PM.
jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:47 PM   #4
Paul Bennett

Knowing what you do now, would you again purchase or advise another to purchase Johnson Style Hollow Adj. Lifter?
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:56 PM   #5
GB SISSON

I'm certainly no expert on the subject but last winter I dealt with the same problem and did some 'scientific' experiments. A lot of knowledgeable folks chimed in. Search for a thread called 'Loose in the lifters'. For your 'after the fact' fix, the loctite is the way to go when they are already installed.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:32 PM   #6
jackson

GB, thanks.... I tried finding some info via search... I missed "loose in the lifters" somehow. Sure hope the stuff I used is a permanent fix..... leaning over those fat fenders to pull the intake and mess with the lifters using those Isky wrenches to keep the lifters from rotating just about did me in (twice!)
Old 07-09-2017, 09:47 PM   #7
jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bennett View Post
Knowing what you do now, would you again purchase or advise another to purchase Johnson Style Hollow Adj. Lifter?
Yes, I would, but rather than simply ordering a set and accepting what they send me (as I did) I would do more brand research. Also, would be very particular in inspecting each lifter before installing. (I didn't do that, and paid the price).
Old 07-09-2017, 11:21 PM   #8
GB SISSON

I will try a link. And I will be the first to agree with you about the fenders and intake and all that misery of re-adjustment. I ain't no spring chicken anymore!
Her goes the link.... thehttps://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208096&highlight=loose+lifters Edit: I see it didn't link.....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:47 PM   #9
Ed Pitts

Try this.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...=loose+lifters
Ed Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:05 AM   #10
Mike51Merc

I've had success peening the threads to make a tighter fit, with some added red Loctite for good measure. Apparently quite a few of these lifters loosen up after a few adjustments and heat-cycles.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:10 AM   #11
flat 39

The green Loctite worked for me.
flat 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:16 AM   #12
Ronnie

http://www.skygeek.com/loctite-290-t...-strength.html

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:07 PM   #13
Curt in AZ

Green Loctite does not have as much strength as red, but as I recall it's the only one designed to wick into assembled threads.
Curt in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:42 PM   #14
Ronnie

http://trikerdon.50megs.com/loctite.htm

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote