Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-16-2018, 01:29 AM   #21
flatheadmurre

Default Re: Stuck Piston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
This works if a guy is fearful of the maple block and hammer method. I prefer the block and hammer - quick and easy.
If the block is that weak that'll crack from pounding out a piston, I say better find out now than later...
If the cylinder has a taper and the piston rings are stuck in upper position...start multiplying the force of the hammer with the taper...no cylinderwall in the world will survive that.
If your lucky anything will work out fine...i canīt afford to break a customer engine so have to play it safe.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:10 AM   #22
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I'm not sure why you would want to gamble with damaging a block, unless you have access to a bigger supply than I can find! It is fairly simple to drill the center out of a piston to relive any pressure on the cylinder walls.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:08 AM   #23
RalphM

I will admit I’ve always used the block and hammer method, never cracked one. But now that I know, I’ll be using the drill method. Besides, I’m sure the drill will be a lot easier on my bad shoulder.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #24
Mart

I stripped a very crusty UK built 21 stud and hit the heads of the pistons from underneath with a round punch and they popped right off. I tried this on a severely seized 59A and gave up as I was having to hit them so hard. Worth a try, though, if they pop off easily it makes it easier to get at the remnants.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #25
GB SISSON

The hardwood plug I used to use for beating never hit the domed piston where I wanted it to. To me the contact should be in a ring about 1/2" wide at the outer perimeter of the piston. I once had a heavy piece of pipe with a cap that worked well, but it became mashed and deformed. Now I use a plug I made from some 2" wide lead strip rolled up like a cinnamon roll to about 3" diameter. Then the hardwood beater on top. This delivers a blow quite evenly across the piston's crown. Hasn't failed me yet. In my fire I used mmo for fuel, and when that ran out I switched to atf and lastly brake fluid. Old shop rag for a wick.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:38 PM   #26
Jack E/NJ

I suspect that a healthy whack or three to the center of the crown with a metal punch & hammer will shatter it into submission. Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is online now   Reply With Quote