Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-20-2017, 08:11 PM   #1
30aadoodlebug

Default Tips for Removing Grill on a 50

Hey All,

So I'm in the process of trying to pull the engine on the donor car for the 1950 country squire I'm rebuilding. I was told to make life easier, removing the front (radiator and grill/splash pan) would alleviate a lot of head aches later. I started removing parts of the grill, but where the car sat outside for almost 40 years its easier said than done. Now there is always the option of going at it with a saws-all, but that is a last resort; I'd like to keep all the pieces intact as much as possible. Here is a shot of what I have so far, and any further info on how to go about getting the rest off would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KIMG0729.jpg (50.4 KB, 59 views)
30aadoodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:31 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Tips for Removing Grill on a 50

I have a '51 (which I think is pretty similar) and have just been through this. The "Grille Extensions" (parking light units), don't have to come off. The top grille bars will have to be removed, but as I remember, all of the bolts are right out in front, except for two on each side that are inside the fender under the headlights. These can be a real problem, especially in a car where they have been on forever. I hate to say this, but sometimes tightening them so they break off may be the best way to get them off. Once you get the top grille bars off, the hood latch panel will be next. There are four bolts holding it on, but the nuts are inside the fender and can be difficult to get to. (Back in the day, every latch panel I saw had the bolts cut by a cutting torch at the junkyard; hopefully, this is just a commentary on their "removal techniques" rather that a real world problem.)

Good luck on this; the grille pieces still on the car look pretty good, so you should try to get them off with as little damage as possible.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:33 AM   #3
30aadoodlebug

Thanks for the info tubman! All the bolts you have cited are the ones I am having the greatest difficulty with (funny that). Some of the smaller ones connecting the grill to the fender on the lower section seem to be almost stripped. This leads me to believe that someone during the cars 40 years outside tried to pop the grill off before. I'll give brute force another go, but looks like I may be cutting these bolts out.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:30 AM   #4
FortyNiner

Often, removing the whole front clip (fenders, grille, and valances) as a single piece is far easier.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:25 AM   #5
4t8v8

Just a quick question. Are you removing the grill for a reason than pulling the engine? The engine will come out just fine with the grill in.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:37 AM   #6
LuckyFordGuy

As 4t8v8 said no need to take gill out to pull motor I did lots of motors without taking grill out Rog
LuckyFordGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:09 AM   #7
tubman

Like I said, I just got through doing this task, and if I had to do it again tomorrow, I'd pull the top bars and latch panel in a heartbeat. The grille itself can stay in, but it's easier with the latch panel removed.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:49 AM   #8
30aadoodlebug

I'm pulling the grill out for two reasons: 1) the whole car is being taken apart for parts; 2) the easier it is to pull the engine single handedly, the better.

Thanks for all the replies though. Fortyniner, pulling the whole front off as one piece sounds like a dream come true. What would I have to loosen/remove in order to do so?
Old 08-22-2017, 09:04 AM   #9
flatford8

You need to remove the bolts at the fire wall/cowl area and in behind the front of the doors. Theres a bolt and spring that holds the bottom of the radiator mount. Wires to the headlights and there may be a pan or sheild by the pedals. If it doesnt come loose, keep looking..... you must have missed one. LOL..... the whole thing will come off as a unit. I'll pics later of front clip off of my '51....... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:59 AM   #10
30aadoodlebug

After two hours of many four letter words and skinned knuckles, I managed to get the whole grill assembly and fenders off in one-fell-swoop. Thank you Fortyniner and Flathead for steering me towards this direction. The fenders of the car had some backyard mechanic patching/bondo work done. The funny thing is, the bondo was used just to cover up dents! Perhaps its use was different in yester-year?

Totally different question, but the only motor mounts I have found are the two in the front of the engine behind the exhaust cross over. Is this correct? is the only thing securing the rear of the engine the tranny?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KIMG0733.jpg (46.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 08-23-2017, 06:00 AM   #11
tubman

Yep! And on the tailshaft at that.