Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-07-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
Grandadeo

Default 8BA/T-86 Sanity Check

Picked up a T-86 three speed overdrive transmission in really great shape from a friend yesterday for my son's AV8 project. So far the plan includes a '49 8BA with edelbrock heads and 2X2 intake backed up by the T-86 three speed shifted by stock '40 column shift linkage. Using a '57 pickup 9" rear. All this will be in a '32 frame with a '30 Roadster body sitting on top. Although I've read that the T-86 is lighter duty than the T-85 I think it will work just fine with the flathead but would appreciate any input especially if you have used this or similar combination. Thanks.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50
Grandadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
RMR&C

Default Re: 8BA/T-86 Sanity Check

I am also interested in any input.......I have one in the shed I'm thinking of using
RMR&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
40cpe

The T-86 was in many of he cars of the day and is not fragile if not shocked. I doubt that the light roadster could hurt it before the tires break loose. Before shocking the trans, like side-stepping the clutch, pull the cable to lock out the OD.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
Gary in Mozarks

This is going to sound like a dumb question but what is a AV8?
It just struck me, A V8 in a model A Duh

Gary in Mozarks
Gary in Mozarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
Grandadeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in Mozarks View Post
This is going to sound like a dumb question but what is a AV8?
It just struck me, A V8 in a model A Duh

Gary in Mozarks
You are correct Gary. Flathead V8 in a model A. Most use the original Model A frame but my son claimed my extra '32 frame so that's the way the project is going.

Lee
Old 05-08-2010, 02:56 PM   #6
bobH

One of the vehicles that I'm familar with, 66-68 Jeep CJ V6's, came stock with a T-86. The reputation among the 'Jeep-crowd' used to be that they were pretty fragile, for that application. These are mostly guys that pounded the crap out of them. I had a 68 stock V6 CJ, for many years, and never had a lick of trouble with the trans - I drive pretty conservative - I'd call it 'sanely'. I'm my opinion, the T-86 ought to work just fine behind a flathead in an AV8.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:54 PM   #7
Grandadeo

As far as the overdrive itself is concerned I'll have some questions there too. First one is: We'll be running a 12 volt system, since the transmission has none of the electical pieces parts and we need to find them all I am guessing that we need to find 12 volt parts but need to make sure. Did that make sense? In other words are the electical parts different for 6 volt and 12 volt applications? There are some manuals listed on epay, guess that should be my first stop. Thanks guys.

Lee
Old 05-09-2010, 12:42 AM   #8
blacktopbuddha

Before you go to e-bay check out the attached link.
http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/trans/B...rive/index.htm

I had a '54 with t-86 and converted to 12 volt. No problem with the 6v components. Was reliable for years.
blacktopbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:26 PM   #9
Grandadeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktopbuddha View Post
Before you go to e-bay check out the attached link.
http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/trans/B...rive/index.htm

I had a '54 with t-86 and converted to 12 volt. No problem with the 6v components. Was reliable for years.
BTB, thanks for the link and the 6volt/12volt info. Anyone else with some T-86/R-10 three speed overdrive experience, good or bad let me know. Electrical parts sources also. Thanks

Lee
Old 05-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #10
blacktopbuddha

For the common parts I believe Mac's, Dick Spadaro, joblot will have the parts. The tough thing may be the solenoid. Search borg warner overdrive on ebay. Can also try Baxter here in Lawrence, 785-842-9256, he has bunches of NOS stuff.
blacktopbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:13 PM   #11
flatjack9

Why not use the Ford aluminum 3 speed OD from mid 80's pickups. Will mount to the 8BA bellhousing and won't need any electrical components. Makes a nice setup.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:43 PM   #12
RMR&C

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
Why not use the Ford aluminum 3 speed OD from mid 80's pickups. Will mount to the 8BA bellhousing and won't need any electrical components. Makes a nice setup.
Any details? Pics? What years/ models? I'm very interested...
RMR&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:10 PM   #13
flatjack9

I'll see if I can dig up some pictures. It was in mid 80's Ford pickups, 2 wheel drive and with a 300 cu. in. 6. Mounts to 8BA bellhousing using a late model clutch disc. I've got one in my 39 coupe. With a 3.70 rear axle, it turns 2500 rpm at 73 mph.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:23 PM   #14
bobH

Thumbs up Re: 8BA/T-86 Sanity Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandadeo View Post
As far as the overdrive itself is concerned I'll have some questions there too. First one is: We'll be running a 12 volt system, since the transmission has none of the electical pieces parts and we need to find them all I am guessing that we need to find 12 volt parts but need to make sure. Did that make sense? In other words are the electical parts different for 6 volt and 12 volt applications? There are some manuals listed on epay, guess that should be my first stop. Thanks guys.

Lee

I -we-the shop I used to work in - put the complete 6V OD's (Borg Warner, Studebaker variety) in Jeep CJ's by the handful. Almost always, they were Jeeps that had 12V conversions. We ran the OD's on 12, with the 6V parts. No problem. I had one, myself, back in the day. Never any problem during the years I had it.
I could go into the reasons it works ok, if you want. Basically, it's because you only hit it with voltage when you shift. It doesn't have 12V (or 6V) CONTINUOUS on it.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:32 AM   #15
Grandadeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
I'll see if I can dig up some pictures. It was in mid 80's Ford pickups, 2 wheel drive and with a 300 cu. in. 6. Mounts to 8BA bellhousing using a late model clutch disc. I've got one in my 39 coupe. With a 3.70 rear axle, it turns 2500 rpm at 73 mph.
Flatjack9, is this a side shift linkage transmission or a top shift like a '39? It may sound dumb but we were planning on using the '40 column shift with a '40 dash, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
I -we-the shop I used to work in - put the complete 6V OD's (Borg Warner, Studebaker variety) in Jeep CJ's by the handful. Almost always, they were Jeeps that had 12V conversions. We ran the OD's on 12, with the 6V parts. No problem. I had one, myself, back in the day. Never any problem during the years I had it.
I could go into the reasons it works ok, if you want. Basically, it's because you only hit it with voltage when you shift. It doesn't have 12V (or 6V) CONTINUOUS on it.
BobH, well that will help a lot on the electrical parts search. Any suggestions on suppliers?

Thanks guys

Lee
Old 05-15-2010, 11:18 PM   #16
Grandadeo

Thanks to a heads up from a post in another thread here I picked up the new Street Rodder Magazine that has a pretty good article on the 3 speed/overdrive setups behind an early flathead. Even listed our former hosts Shelly and Mac as the parts supplier for the overhaul. On a side note, my subscription to Street Rodder ran out two months ago and I didn't renew it cause I wasn't all that happy with it lately and I was trying to cut back a little on expenses. Wouldn't you know that the last two issues have had tech articles of interest to me so I had to go to B&N to pick them up at full price. Will be sending in the new subscribtion check tomorrow. Will also be checking out the Van Pelt's web site for overdrive electical components, Hey Shelly...

Lee

Last edited by Grandadeo; 05-15-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:29 AM   #17
expavr

I put a 49 Merc O/D with a modified early truck shift tower to handle the shifting chores in my 40 Tonner. The trans and shifter setup has 600+ miles of both freeway and street driving and seems to be up to the task. The trick in using these O/D transmissions is the location of the solenoid and possible interference with the crossmember. The combination of the O/D and the 4.11's in the back makes freeway driving a whole lot more pleasurable and that's a BIG plus when its Sanity Check time!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49 Merc Trans.jpg (17.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Restored Tonner 1.jpg (22.2 KB, 11 views)
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:03 PM   #18
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandadeo View Post
Flatjack9, is this a side shift linkage transmission or a top shift like a '39? It may sound dumb but we were planning on using the '40 column shift with a '40 dash, etc.

BobH, well that will help a lot on the electrical parts search. Any suggestions on suppliers?

Thanks guys

Lee
The one I used is a top shift. However there was a side shift used in vans and some Ford cars.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #19
Jack 34pu

I would like more info on the 80's 3 sp O/D also. I'm doing an AV8 pu w '50 Merc and that sounds like a better solution than my S10 5sp with ackward gearing.
Jack 34pu
Jack 34pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #20
2ndgeer

Here's a Single Rail Overdrive from a 1981 Ford pickup. (Fourth gear is overdrive). I bought it to use behind a 302 Ford in my '34 pickup but installed an automatic instead. (I thought the shift lever would interfere with the seat).
Anyway, I now have a 1950 F1 and would like to drive it at freeway speeds. Maybe I can hook this up to the 8BA in the F1. What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SROD 1981.jpg (57.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg SROD Ford .jpg (35.1 KB, 15 views)
2ndgeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:42 PM   #21
flatheadpete

I used a T5 behind my stroker Merc. 4:11 gears and overdrive made it a rocket out of the hole while delivering 30+ mpg on the freeway. Sometimes, technology is a good thing.
flatheadpete is offline   Reply With Quote