Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2019, 04:56 PM   #1
Lenny51

Default 6 Volt battery

looking for a good quality negative battery for 51 V8 want American made
Lenny51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:57 PM   #2
Lenny51

Default Re: 6 Volt battery cable

American made
Lenny51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:05 PM   #3
koates

Default Re: 6 Volt battery

A 6 volt optima battery is the best you can buy. 800 cranking amps will spin her over better than all others. Made in Mexico now. That's close to the USA isn't it ? Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:42 PM   #4
cas3

other than the optima, there are only two company's that still make battery's here due to all the red tape involved. they are, interstate, and johnson controls i believe, so what ever brand name is on it, one of these folks made it. battery's have gone quite a bit in the last year, you will be surprised when you go shopping
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:54 PM   #5
FortyNiner

Actually, today the producers are Johnson Controls Power Solutions and Exide. Interstate is majority owned by Johnson.

After June 2019, Power Solutions will be owned by Brookfield Partners, an investment house headquartered in Canada. This is the last piece of Johnson's sell-off of all automotive businesses.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:31 PM   #6
STEVE O

East Penn / Deka is still made here
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:30 AM   #7
37 Cab

I use this one from Oreillys auto parts since mine is on the firewall and I don't want to look at the optima. 785 cranking amps and so far reliable starts even after sitting for a month at a time.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...tomotive&pos=4
Old 02-25-2019, 08:42 AM   #8
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Cab View Post
I use this one from Oreillys auto parts since mine is on the firewall and I don't want to look at the optima. 785 cranking amps and so far reliable starts even after sitting for a month at a time.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...tomotive&pos=4
To be precise, this has 640 CCA vs. and Optima's 800. I have also found group one batteries to be undersized for flatheads, which usually came new with a group 2 or 2L. An Optima in a group 2 faux case would look more correct than a "real" group 1 in a 1951 Ford (as shown in the O/P's avatar).
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:50 AM   #9
Jersey Devil

Have been using Optima in faux case for 10 years. In winter I use battery tender and disconnect fuse to clock.

Tom
Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:46 AM   #10
Drbrown

Johnson moved to Canada because of US reg's, taxes and labor costs and has a production plant in Mexico. The added "plus" is that those of us in the US now pay higher import tariffs from those countries. So both the Companies and our government our raking in our money.

Saw other postings that said Optima made in Mexico now (?).

We're on a down hill slope. Bought a Timken wheel bearing (thinking top-of-the-line). Came in their Timken box but marked made by FAG in Canada. Adding injury to deception, Timken marked up FAG's (US) retail cost (literally) 200 %. Timken's little box is very expensive.

Last edited by Drbrown; 02-25-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:55 AM   #11
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny51 View Post
looking for a good quality negative battery for 51 V8 want American made
What is a "Negative" battery?
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #12
philipswanson

Most all batteries are made in Mexico now including Interstate. Restrictions on lead (heavy metals) and acids are the reason. Just like chrome shops. Really doesn't matter where it's made. AGM batteries like Optima are the best car batteries. Allot of Mexicans have died from lead poison, not just from battery production. You really don't want batteries produced here. Dangerous process. It's well worth the duty to get it out of the country.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #13
FL&WVMIKE

The last remaining lead smelter in the US closed in 2013... which is about when the price of batteries started to explode.

From the link:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/timwors.../#2799cc16642b

We've the news today that the last remaining primary lead smelter in the US is to close. Probably a good idea and the reason it's closing is simply because we don't need it any more. In this sense the hippies have won and a good thing too.

St. Louis-based Doe Run Co., the world’s third-largest producer of lead from mines, said it will stop smelting operations as part of a $65 million agreement with the U.S Environmental Protection Agency and the state of Missouri. The company has operated the facility since 1986.

Doe Run said the estimated $100 million cost to build a new facility and meet air-quality standards was too risky.

“We saw no alternative to closing our plant,” Gary Hughes, general manager of Doe Run’s Metals Division, said in a Dec. 14 statement.
Mike Jr. here. I get on here every few months to check messages, and look through his almost 500 saved messages for information on the '29 and '34 I still have. A lot of very nice people on here. He truly enjoyed Ford Barn.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:05 PM   #14
1948F-1Pickup

https://www.batterycentralmall.com/B...pt/S2HF_R.html
Stupidly expensive...... don't know where it's made.
Trojan still makes 6 volt batteries in the US but they have pretty much exited
the automotive business, as the group 1 and group 2 I see in their listings have specs more suited to golf carts than cars.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:18 PM   #15
1948F-1Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbrown View Post

We're on a down hill slope. Bought a Timken wheel bearing (thinking top-of-the-line). Came in their Timken box but marked made by FAG in Canada. Adding injury to deception, Timken marked up FAG's (US) retail cost (literally) 200 %. Timken's little box is very expensive.
I work in this industry for a bearing manufacturer in the US. This is pretty
much the way it is in the industry; everyone buys from everyone else and
puts that product in their box. The only other possible business model is
to have everything in your box be yours, but it all comes from overseas.

Contrary to popular thought, in the bearing business, Made in the USA doesn't carry the clout you would think it would. Offshore has come a long
way in quality and if a customer isn't having an issue with an application,
no amount of coercion/bribery/payment under the table will make him buy your Made in USA bearing...... even if the pricing is close.

Ask me how I know.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:40 PM   #16
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
Most all batteries are made in Mexico now including Interstate. Restrictions on lead (heavy metals) and acids are the reason. Just like chrome shops. Really doesn't matter where it's made. AGM batteries like Optima are the best car batteries. Allot of Mexicans have died from lead poison, not just from battery production. You really don't want batteries produced here. Dangerous process. It's well worth the duty to get it out of the country.
Philip, please consider editing your post. I and I'm sure others are offended by the inference that American lives are more valuable than others.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:47 PM   #17
tubman

Anyone interested in what happened in the bearing business should read the account of what happened to Timken. Long story short : corporate greed and hostile takeovers.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:54 PM   #18
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Philip, please consider editing your post. I and I'm sure others are offended by the inference that American lives are more valuable than others.
No, never said that. That was just a statement of facts. I know that allot of Mexicans have indeed died of lead poisoning. Not so much from battery production but allot from working with torches and various metals. Has nothing to do with offending anyone or being politically correct, just a statement of fact. I know, I live 15 miles north of Tijuana. If you were to do blood tests on Tijuana residents, you would find very high concentrations of lead which never leaves your system. Obviously the laws and enforcement have never been as strict as ours. It's getting better but they are at least 40 years behind us.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:56 PM   #19
Tinker

Strange turn of events here. Most of our iphones/phones are made over seas. You can look into that too. etc.... We should be building solar panel plants to be honest.

Lithium is were batteries are going.

I really like the optima 6v battery. Hope it's around a long while, where ever it's made.

I tried a local forklift 6v battery supplier, but I just ran through the batteries after a yr.

Last edited by Tinker; 02-25-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:02 PM   #20
1ton

[QUOTx2 to east pennE=STEVE O;1730303]East Penn / Deka is still made here[/QUOTE]
1ton is offline   Reply With Quote