Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-02-2019, 01:56 PM   #61
JimNNN

Default Re: Do You Carry a Container of Gas in your Trunk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post

A horror story from my days as a volunteer firefighter. A local rodder takes his nice, freshly finished, fiberglass (not our body) 1932 3 window out for a Sunday cruise. Splashes a little gas while filling the in trunk tank (not good). Comes home and parks the car in the shop overnight (less good). Next morning the car is reeking, so he decides to take the carpet out. Without airing it out (bad idea), while it is still in the shop (worse idea). Static electricity ignites the fumes. BOOM. Minor burns to the owner (LUCKY). We get called in on the second alarm. The butchers bill includes the 3 Window, the 5 stall shop, a tractor, a new special edition 2010 Mustang, one or two other cars, A custom built log house, and a couple acres of grass/forest.

Yowza, what a story! Static electricity is something that isn't on most of our minds, at least as much as it should be. Another good reason for me not driving antique cars in extremely cold weather (when static electric discharges are at their peak.) Parts of our house used to get so dry during deep winter that we could erroneously set off the fire alarm just by brushing up against the wall close to where it was mounted.

The closest I came to a gas tank catastrophe was many years ago when I was filling up my EDD at a convenience store. The customer before me was either extremely messy or had a leaky tank or filler, because there was gas all over the pavement. About that time, a dumb smoker walks right by the pump and flicks her lit cigarette on the ground...it lands about an inch from the spillage. She looked at me as if to say, "what's wrong with YOU?" as I frantically stomped the burning cigarette out with my foot.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:08 PM   #62
David J

To answer the OP's question YES .
No idea what brand as it is an old steel one .
If you keep up with replacing the rubber sealing washers it does not smell at all .
If if doesn't smell at all if probably isn't going to explode .

I like 33-34 cars and as mentioned already they have pretty exposed gas tanks .

That said if I was going to surrender to paranoia I wouldn't drive old cars period .
AND how about pickups with the gas tank behind or under the seat ?

That's a whole lot worse IMHO .
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:11 PM   #63
marko39

A static discharge can also if someone gets gas and sits back in the car while it's filling. When the get out and touch the nozzle a spark is produced right near the filler neck. In many states you can't pump gas without holding the trigger which reduces this risk. However, you can wedge something under the trigger just don't get back in the car.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:49 PM   #64
RalphM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko39 View Post
A static discharge can also if someone gets gas and sits back in the car while it's filling. When the get out and touch the nozzle a spark is produced right near the filler neck. In many states you can't pump gas without holding the trigger which reduces this risk. However, you can wedge something under the trigger just don't get back in the car.
Yep see it all the time. But you can’t tell people at 40 below not to get back in their car, they just don’t understand. Problem is the static is about 10 times worse at those temperatures.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:30 PM   #65
philipswanson

Here in San Diego, nobody pays attention to the possibility of a static spark. I gas up at Costco's busiest station in the state and people set the pump to fill and jump back in their cars all the time. Virtually all women do this and about half the men. Never been a problem here.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:30 PM   #66
GB SISSON

I know this isn't within the scope of the original thread... But it has now evolved into the 'fuel safety thread'. I have a universal fit type poly tank in my woodie truck. It fits between the frame rails behind the axle and I bored a hole in the truck's rear fender for the filler. Do I need a ground somewhere? This thread is giving me the willys, plastic tanks etc..... I am an alumni of a logging slash fire started with gas many years ago. Not pretty.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:27 AM   #67
tiger.1000

A notice to all cigarette smokers. Drop a lighted cigarette in to a can of petrol. The petrol will extinguish the cigarette as there is not enough heat to ignite the fuel.
However, maybe US petrol and cigarettes aren't the same as UK versions ?
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:58 AM   #68
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger.1000 View Post
A notice to all cigarette smokers. Drop a lighted cigarette in to a can of petrol. The petrol will extinguish the cigarette as there is not enough heat to ignite the fuel.
Not sure I would want to try this experiment. I guess its the vapours that explode. Smoking is definitely more dangerous than carrying petrol in your trunk!-Karl
Old 12-03-2019, 07:08 AM   #69
Frank Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger.1000 View Post
Gasoline as a liquid does not burn. Vapors do. The cigarette will ignite any vapors on top of the gas but the liquid does not burn. Why a flooded motor will not start. The heat will make more vapors though. Someone refilling a fuel tank they replaced a pump on ignited a 10 gallon container using a regular electric pump. I just put a nearby piece of sheet metal over it to suffocate it. Water will not extinguish a gasoline fire.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:22 AM   #70
cmbrucew

A lit cigarette will not ignite fumes or liquid, a spark or flame is required.

Bruce
Old 12-03-2019, 08:26 AM   #71
glennpm

I sometimes carry one of the 2-1/2 gallon gas cans made by Rotopax. It is the only gas can that I have ever used that gives off no fumes. Don't overfill it and considering temperature and pressure changes follow the manufacturer's warning, "
PLEASE ALWAYS REMEMBER TO VENT THE FUEL PACK ONCE PER DAY IF THE ELEVATION OR TEMPERATURE CHANGES SIGNIFICANTLY."

glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:35 AM   #72
donald1950

i carry a 2 1/2 gallon VP fuel container about half full in the trunk of my model A. the caps on the jug are well fitted and seal very well. And i check the trunk for fumes each time i drive it and have had no gasoline smell what so ever. it has a square base with little chance of tipping over with normal driving... Don
donald1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:01 PM   #73
Kurt in NJ

Friend at work went to get gas for lawn mower, also has subwoofer in trunk--- turned the radio on, then got smoke from trunk, the front plate survived
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:40 PM   #74
jake197000

if I was on a long desolate trip I woulnt be afraid to carry extra fuel in a very high quality can.they aint cheap.
jake197000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:52 PM   #75
leon bee

I thought we might be up to 5 pages by now. How about this: a friend wanted a couple good cans to haul gas for all his mowers and yard machinery. Amazon sent him two nice shiny red 5 gallon army type cans. He filled em up at the station. A few days later he discovered that the ethanol gas he'd bought had dissolved a coating inside the chinese cans and the gas was all full of gooey gray stuff. You just never know what you're gonna get.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:12 AM   #76
dumb person

I do sometimes, but i'm from a time when gas stations were so rare that people were running around with 3 fuel tanks replacing seats in their cars at one stage.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:13 AM   #77
David J

[QUOTE=glennpm;1827721] PLEASE ALWAYS REMEMBER TO VENT THE FUEL PACK ONCE PER DAY IF THE ELEVATION OR TEMPERATURE CHANGES SIGNIFICANTLY." . QUOTE]

This is indeed important .

I only have the can in car if the car is being used .
NOT when parked and it gets burped before going in the car .
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:22 AM   #78
mfirth

Nope, the kind of gas i have can't be put in a can......too many beans !
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:26 AM   #79
deuce_roadster

As with any potential problem--it is fine until it isn't. I have set my gas gauges on my old cars to read zero when there is 1.5 gallons left and try to never let it get below 1/4. So I never have any reason to carry gas in a can. If I am getting gas for my chain saw, blower etc, I use my F150.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:22 PM   #80
Ken/Alabama

That would be a big NO for me. I drive my cars almost daily. I even take trips in them from time to time so for me it’s no different than driving my wife’s 2014 Ford Explorer , I don’t carry around a can of gas in it . I do keep a closer eye on the fuel gauge in my old cars. But for the last 35 years I haven’t justified a gas can in the trunk.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote