Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:36 PM   #41
henry494

Default Re: Need help at Macungie P.A. Meet.

Pete,
I thought I was done with this thread until you mis-stated a couple facts. I can tell the difference between your Acme covers and the originals without them being side by side, no problem at all. Your covers are very nice and very close, but a good judge can usually tell the difference, and should be able to, so that the owner who pursued original parts will be awarded accordingly. And no, I haven't looked 25 years for my full set of Acmes, I have owned them 25 years. Recheck what I wrote, and if I wasn't clear, then now you know exactly what I meant.

You wrote that your 180A and Doug's Roadster were the top two cars. No, Gary and Trudy'e Cabbie were between you two.

Please return and read Will's earlier response about participating and understanding the judging process.

To the readers, I am done with this thread, we have definitely wasted enough of your time, and accomplished nothing, other than the possibility of alienating some from pursuing their Blue Ribbon goals. If that happened, e-mail me and we'll have off-line discussions so I can encourage you to get back on track and ignore the nonsense of the whining in this thread.

Dave Lopes

"He said he can tell the difference.Sure side by side and look long enough. Ask him how long he has been looking for orginials??? I have his email [25 YEARS] .and he is not alone. So how long wound he wait if i did not come along? "

"All correct and i was even with Dougs in points.[we were the 2 top cars].That does not bother me."
Old 07-24-2010, 07:34 AM   #42
peters180a/170b

Dave , Dave ,Dave... Ok ,i'll give you that on :25 years you "owned" the valve stems and caps but "WITHOUT" dust covers. In 25 years if you came across the orginial covers you would have them by now.? I know i would and so would alot of others knowing they are impossiable to find.!!! If you are unhappy with them i'll give you a full refund on them and postage. I mean its only fair. I don't like the word REPRODUCTIONS. It gives a very good made part a bad name. Lets call ARIES MUFFLERS , FORD SCRIPT BATTERY ,RUNNING BOARD TRIM made by BOB BURDICK,and ACME dust covers a new name [ SERVICE PART]. A+L parts are [SERVICE PARTS] compared to some of the crap thats made out there. Judging should allow "certain" [SERVICE PARTS] to be used ,,,i am not saying all parts made overall,, just the ones that fit, and are close to orginials [ie Fan belts ,hoses and wire harness].. I also want to correct on my comment about "EVEN" with Dougs car. On his and mine both engine area and undercarriage we were even and the 2 top cars in that area's. NOT over all.WHINING is "NOT" in my Dictionary ! Common sense ,confused somewhat on [RP] parts marked on my sheets. "FIRST SHEET" of judging standards participating in Fine point judging at this years French Lick meet. SUGGESTIONS ON "HOW "YOU MAY IMPROVE YOUR SCORE WILL """BE NOTED ON THE SHEETS"""" This tread started out with NEED HELP AT MACUNGIE P.A. MEET!!! [Putting {RP} on a sheet is NOT a SUGGESTION ON HOW TO or what part is when you have a dozen parts under one area.!. P.S i did find a mistake on my sheet and WILL take it up with Larry S. [note: and in my favor!] someone did not carry over the right amount!!! So as you say my WHINING will have some merit to it.... Please send the covers back i have people waiting for them .5 less i will not need to make. I am looking out for a frozen Brat to hit me in the head.... One more thing if a person has a orginial belt, hoses and or wires then give full credit to [SERVICE PARTS] gives them the chance to change to them too! It will stop the hard to find in a very short supply ,high price orginial hard ,whipped orginial parts to be used. Everyone at that point will be even ON those items.

Last edited by peters180a/170b; 07-24-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:41 AM   #43
forever4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters180a/170b View Post
Dave , Dave ,Dave... Ok ,i'll give you that on :25 years you "owned" the valve stems and caps but "WITHOUT" dust covers. In 25 years if you came across the orginial covers you would have them by now.? I know i would and so would alot of others knowing they are impossiable to find.!!! ...

... Lets call ARIES MUFFLERS , FORD SCRIPT BATTERY ,RUNNING BOARD TRIM made by BOB BURDICK,and ACME dust covers a new name [ SERVICE PART]. A+L parts are [SERVICE PARTS] compared to some of the crap thats made out there. Judging should allow "certain" [SERVICE PARTS] to be used ,,,...

...WHINING is "NOT" in my Dictionary ! ...

...One more thing if a person has a orginial belt, hoses and or wires then give full credit to [SERVICE PARTS] gives them the chance to change to them too! It will stop the hard to find in a very short supply ,high price orginial hard ,whipped orginial parts to be used. Everyone at that point will be even ON those items.
Pete,
Why are you arguing with Dave about how many original dust covers he has owned, or for how long?
Why don't you just come straight out and call him a liar on the message board?
Unbelievable, your posts.

Since when, would a dust cover or running board trim be a "SERVICE PART" ?
It is just a reproduction. Simple as that.
And there are other plentiful alternative to Acme valve hardware.

Tires, batteries, and mufflers (and belts and hoses) are all 'consumable' parts, and I could see the argument to accept the best reproductions of those items in judging, with a specified deduction.
But repro dust covers and running board trim get full points???? Come on!

"...give full credit to [SERVICE PARTS] gives them the chance to change to them too!" is a great way to completely diminish the value of everyone's (including yours) Henry awards and fine point efforts, and to dumb down the fine point judging to the Touring Class or AACA level.
"...Everyone at that point will be even ON those items." Why should people using reproduction parts be 'even' with those who take the time to find and restore originals??????

Maybe you would be a lot more satisfied just sticking with AACA judging or Touring Class and forget about MARC/MAFCA levels of authenticity in Fine Point.

I am sure glad whining is not in your dictionary.
Your continued posts about the judging and points your car received is a poor reflection on you, and an insult to all the many people who make a greater effort towards authenticity and original parts, and an insult to the people who took the time and consideration to carefully judge your car.

By your own statements, you will not participate in judging, but you want to have a post-judging review at the meet and referee of your score so that you can 'explain' it and revise the score before the awards banquet. And now you invite the peanut gallery to meet you at Macungie to review your car and scores. Sad.

Last edited by forever4; 07-24-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #44
peters180a/170b

Vince , If someone is willing to restore a car for Fine Point judging at what point will it be that there's no more orginial Hoses ,wiring and fan belts to find and use? Sooner or later this is coming.[COMSUMABLE PARTS ? Water hoses 85 years old and fan belts are NOT?] . Is it going to be fair to tell them you start off in a minus column until the cows come home? Dave is not a liar by all means. He seems not only he ware's sandle's but he can walk on water too!. The top Judge in this area has NO PROBLEM with what SERVICE PART i had made.[acme] dust covers] If i did not make a run of them which Dave said are close then what do people do with just the stems? They are in the JS. . Do we write them off and accept them as a part that is not avaliable so no one will ever see a complete ACME valve stem.I wanted to be different, Seeing Schrader are getting boring .The Schrader stems made today with some work are passing the judges.Dave was not willing to pass them on judging on my car. But yet willing to use them himself . I am not new to MAFCA/MARC judging. I did recieve a Henry Ford award and a MAFCA of EX. back in 88/90.It seems the parts are getting harder to find or not avaliable and the judging is getting harder with some judges. Its 1:00 and time for B.B.Q and a few cold ones... See ya tonite... P.S,, i wish i had a movie camera at the French Lick when some of the FINE POINT cars had to start the mandatory tour after they cleared the front door... Anyone say NASCAR PIT STOP. orginial fan belt off, plugs out. All i did was turn on the gas, hit the starter and off Tim and i drove.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:25 PM   #45
TerryH

How many times do we have to cover the same points, with the same rebuttals from lots of knowledgeable, involved folks?? I don't think the judging is going to change for you, and I don't think you are going to ever accept it....so all that is left is endless bickering and the longest continuous post in history.......as others have said, let's p l e a s e move in to another interesting topic...........
Old 07-24-2010, 06:08 PM   #46
henry494

Here we go again.

Pete, I just don't get it. Why don't you actually read what's been posted?

Your quote;
"Dave , Dave ,Dave... Ok ,i'll give you that on :25 years you "owned" the valve stems and caps but "WITHOUT" dust covers. In 25 years if you came across the orginial covers you would have them by now.? I know i would and so would alot of others knowing they are impossiable to find.!!! If you are unhappy with them i'll give you a full refund on them and postage. "

My response;
Pete, I did NOT buy any Acme covers from you, never will. I will repeat again, since you seem to have missed what I wrote;
Your Acme reproduction valve stem covers are very nice, but do not match originals, therefore, should receive a deduction in judging.
To make it perfectly clear Pete, I received a full set of five Acme valve stem covers, all at once, not NOS, but mint condition, approximately 25 years ago. Are we clear on that now? (Not that this point really matters at all to anyone)

Your quote;
"Dave was not willing to pass them on judging on my car. But yet willing to use them himself."

My response;
Correct Pete, I am not willing to pass reproduction parts for full points in Blue Ribbon judging.
No, I am not willing to use them myself. Please explain where you get that from. I have never said it, nor have I ever written anything like that.

So many good people have tried to explain this to you Pete. I thought I was done with your whining about the judging process at National meets and responding to your nonsense remarks. But since you continue, let's have a look at what the Judging Standards say about reproduction. I'm going to skip over very important paragraphs on page 11 and 12, that you need to review. Go get your book and read along with me Pete.

Page 12

"The hobby is not getting easier to pursue. While there are plenty of original parts around, the quality is often poor-making the restoration much more difficult. The difficult pieces are nearly impossible to locate. However in the final analysis, a quality restoration should receive the recognition it deserves."

Pete, this means that the person who spends the time and effort to locate original parts receives the points over the person who decides to quit looking and whines about how hard it is to find those parts. For some, the joy is in the hunt.

Page 12

"An original part that is well restored and correct for the vehicle being judged shall be awarded full points. If a reproduction part is such that it is indistinguishable from the original, it too shall merit full points. If the appearance of a component is different in any way or if the materials are different from those used in the original part, the part must be considered a reproduction or incorrect part and awarded fewer points."

I added the bold type so that you wouldn't miss it. This is what we have all been trying to tell you, plus many other things, such as not whining about the score and the judging when you don't even participate. I won't even respond to your suggestion about "referees" after judging takes place.

Again, Pete, before you post any more nonsense, or want to jump at me for writing the truth, go back and read a bunch of the other people's responses. Vince, Will, Marco, and others, all wrote excellent, truthful responses. You just seem to want to ignore them and the truth.
Others have expressed their displeasure at reading this thread and someone even got turned off of the Blue Ribbon judging because of this thread. Do you really want people to lose interest just because one person (You) decides he doesn't like a process that's been in place, and has worked so well, for so many years?

Everyone - Maybe I'm done with this subject. I guess it depends on whether or not Pete reads and absorbs what he has been told. I will repeat that anyone is welcome to contact me off-line to discuss Blue Ribbon cars and the judging process. I won't discuss Pete and his beliefs or whining off-line because that's just not right.

Pete, I will repeat once again. Your 180A is a beautiful car, a beautiful restoration. You chose to show it with over-restored components and reproduction parts for your own personal reasons. Live with it. Go pat your Henry Award on the head because you earned it at French Lick.

The brats are getting cold.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #47
Fred
BANNED

Pete, You said you wanted to be "QUOTE", Different, You are !! You are still trying to say that your use of "REPRODUCTION" items, which you even admit to using in several areas should get full points.. What about the guy that shows up some day with originals ?? You should have gone with original "DILLS" to be different, instead of trying to fool every one..
Old 07-24-2010, 06:12 PM   #48
henry494

I forgot to sign my name to the post above. Don't wish to be anonymous.

Dave Lopes

ps: The "brats" refer to Johnsonville bratwurst dogs. Hmmmmm, they're so good. We have them after judging at the Nationals. It's a tradition thing.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #49
peters180a/170b

Fred i used Dills back in the 80's 90's. they are very nice and hard to put a set together. ACME i seem to like because there's about maybe 35 sets most n.o.s. stems and caps. I can say "NO" one will go out of their way to remake the valve caps or stems.Bridgeports i see on ebay forsale at $800.00 a set. Acme n.o.s. stems/caps and bridgewasher a full set on ebay $75.00 minus dust covers .A set of dust covers [5] i charged $75.00/$15.00@. plus plating for the whole set came to $210.00 total... I had a nice set of TR83 Schraders /2 being n.o.s. for the car but the other 3 were so-so. I want to get the car done in my life time and it was bad enough at 7 years.That's how long it took me to find a set of correct matched Schrader's. Hell Schrader has type 1, 2 and 3. Had a nice set of n.o.s. Schraders TR83-A[31's] at $125.00 ..Bought them from a guy in CA. and sold them to a guy in CA. same amount of money. Not to many people out there doing a Fine Point car and think its the part problem.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:18 PM   #50
Fred
BANNED

OK, So What you are saying is you should get the same amount of points for your "KNOWN" reproduction covers as the car with the original Bridgeport covers ??.. If that happend to me then I would be P/O...
Old 07-25-2010, 02:10 AM   #51
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Let me tell you what I’ve gotten out of this thread.

1) If a person asks for help in determining how to better decipher the judging sheets he/she will be attacked, bashed, vilified, and driven from ever entering fine point again.
2) Fine point judging has matured to a point where access to original parts by way of the internet, makes reproduction parts unnecessary as eventually the NOS part can be found.
3) As long as there is an NOS part available somewhere in the world, in someone’s collection even if it is not available to the general population reproduction parts will be unacceptable for full points.
4) Restoration of the fine point class of cars has become available only to the wealthy.
5) Judges decisions on the amount of points is up to the judge and there is nothing required to done assist the owner on how to inprove. (example 50% off point for reproduction parts is not in the standards anywhere and depending you/where it is judged it may change)

Except for number 1 these are just facts of the event.
I ask again about the number of entries in fine point judging, are they in decline? I have not been to enough meets to tell.

Maturity is inevitable in any event. Just take a look at what’s out there that has matured. The three minute mile that was a barrier for hundreds of years is now broken by those in high school. Baseball has evolved to a point were drugs are needed to push the envelope and there are those that think nothing is wrong with that.

I’ve been involved in Model Airplanes for almost 25 years before my Model A came home with me. I have seen scale models mature from award winners that the slightly above average builder could make to models that take CNC machining and a cost equivalent to an automobile. I know where the first ¼ scale model, as recognized by Scale Model Builder Magazine, sits today. It won all kinds of awards in its day and it looks like crap compared to what is built today. Today there are professional model aircraft flyers and builders, these select few are the ones that make these miniature aircraft look like the original planes were shrunk down and put on display.

Again is this wrong or just evolution?

What does this mean to me and my family, as my 16 year old son is working on a Model A? After reading all this we have decided to build the car to touring class grade and give up on fine point. Unless I win the lottery, even with two jobs I cannot afford to build fine point car. We were planning to use the best we could find and rely on the judging sheets to determine what would be needed to be upgraded to improve the score as I have no idea how to tell an NOS from NORS from just old. We have already spent money on parts that we have been told were not was used for the car, and I don’t want my son to go through what Pete has gone through.

We will continue to gaze in wonderment upon the cars that meet the criteria of the standards as nothing bad can be said about a truly original car.

What is next in the evolution of judging? Will it become a thing of the wealthy where they send out the cars to be restored and pay for it by the month until it is finished. Is that not how concurs cars are done?

There was a time when the other antique car clubs did not even have standards for Model A's but that has changed. We have a couple of members that often show there cars in these venues. Is this the future, I don't know. I do know that I feel beaten down and I don't even have a dog in the fight.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:09 AM   #52
henry494

Mike,
You make some good points, but my personal experience counters some of them, so my reply to you is based only on my experience and does not speak for all.

"1) If a person asks for help in determining how to better decipher the judging sheets he/she will be attacked, bashed, vilified, and driven from ever entering fine point again."
I disagree here, as this thread is really about Pete's whining about the scores he received in French Lick for the reproduction parts he used and some over-restoration on his car. It's is also about some items that may have been incorrectly scored, and how we as car owners have to deal with that due to the subjective nature of the judging process. If the distance didn't prevent it, I would still gladly go over his whole car with the judging sheets and help him, even after all of his whining. It's also about Pete's lack of knowledge of how current Model A Blue Ribbon judging is conducted due to his lack of participation, and his apparent inability to understand this no matter how many people advise him.
I have people ask me quite often for help, and I always give that. My friends who are involved in this crazy part of the hobby do so as well, I witness it all the time.

"2) Fine point judging has matured to a point where access to original parts by way of the internet, makes reproduction parts unnecessary as eventually the NOS part can be found."
Very true. The parts are out there, a person just has to keep searching. Yesterday, I found a clutch pedal, not nos, but I cannot see any wear on the ribs. If it weren't for the grease, I wouldn't know it was used. There were so many nos parts available at the French Lick swap, it's make you dizzy. Truly, Mike. The stuff is out there, and not always at a price that breaks the bank. I dig a lot in the non-Ford piles, as those folks don't always know what the Ford stuff is, and let it go for a song. That's a big part of the enjoyment of doing a fine-point car, "The Hunt."

"3) As long as there is an NOS part available somewhere in the world, in someone’s collection even if it is not available to the general population reproduction parts will be unacceptable for full points."
True, and the Judging Standards support this, to a point. We'll never know what's truly not available and/or when "the well runs dry" on certain parts. However, the Standards are written so that the person who does find that original part will be scored higher than the person who chooses to use repro. But, the Standrads are also written so that if a peron is able to make the judges wonder whether a part is gennie or not, he gets the benefit of the doubt and gets the points as if it is original. Repro parts can, in many instances, be modified to appear original. Not all of them, but many.

"4) Restoration of the fine point class of cars has become available only to the wealthy."
Nope, can't agree with this at all. I don't know everyone's personal financial level, but I am pretty close friends with several of the few owners of cars that have ever scored over 490, and several of cars in the 450 to 490 range. I can tell you, this group is full of low to medium budget guys that do the far majority of the restorations at home with their own hands. Honest. For myself, I am definitly not wealthy by any means, not retired, work long hours, have a busy family, etc, etc. Our Phaeton was done at home in about five years time. I did nearly all the work except upholstery, plating, and engine internals, at home. Others I won't mention by name, have done the same, and even more. I hope they will read this and chime in with their two cents so that you will be encouraged to continue your and your son's quest for a Blue Ribbon car.

"5) Judges decisions on the amount of points is up to the judge and there is nothing required to done assist the owner on how to inprove. (example 50% off point for reproduction parts is not in the standards anywhere and depending you/where it is judged it may change)"
The judging sheets do provide some insight to the owners about what they need to improve. However, I have to agree that they don't do a lot, nor are they designed to. We have to network and help each other a lot for this. E-mail me, and many other Blue Ribbon fanatics with questions for help and see what kind of response you get.
It's unfortunate I wrote about 50% deductions. That is not written into the Standards anywhere. It is the deduction a particualar Team Captain uses in Area 22 for reproduction deductions. However, when using the expanded 5000 point judging system currently being used, where the scores are expanded 10 times for judging individual components, then divided by 10 for the final score in the area, a 50% deduction on one item amounts to a very small overall deduction. Not easy to explain without an example of the judging sheet in front of us. I was responding to Pete's comments and my reply only applied to Area 22, I was not speaking for all areas, and I did not make that clear.

There has been an overall decline in Blue Ribbon participationover the years. That's one big reason why I keep responding in theis thread, I don't want people like you and your son to get discouraged by one person's whining.
Red Ribbon participation has grown at the same time, and the quality level in Red Ribbon sure has increased. You make a very good point about maturity in an event or hobby using model airplanes as an example. Couldn't have picked a better example for your point. As the Judging Standards have become more detailed, so too has the restorers' ability to restore more and more like what Henry Ford rolled down the line. Sure, most of our Blue Ribbon cars are "over-restored" to some degree, I doubt anyone will disagree, but they are more accurate than ever before. Just compare to the cars that were resstored in the 70's with pure gloss chassi and engine compartments!

"What does this mean to me and my family, as my 16 year old son is working on a Model A? After reading all this we have decided to build the car to touring class grade and give up on fine point. Unless I win the lottery, even with two jobs I cannot afford to build fine point car. "
Again, this is why I'm staying engaged in this thread. There's no reason why you and your son have to give up that goal. Yes you two can afford to do a Blue Ribbon car, and yes you can do that at home with basic skills and basic tools. I am here to tell you that I did exactly that, twice. There are two Henry Awards on our shelf, 1991 and 2001. Both cars built on a low budget at home with just the basics. YES YOU CAN.

"What is next in the evolution of judging? Will it become a thing of the wealthy where they send out the cars to be restored and pay for it by the month until it is finished. Is that not how concurs cars are done?"
I'll share something very personal in response to that. At the MARC Indianapolis meet in 1991, Bruce Bone, who had a beautiful 400A, and I were holding our Henry Awards while Ken Keely was taking photos. Bruce leaned over to me and said, "I jealous of you Dave." Knowing what a wealthy man Bruce was, I was surprised and asked what the heck was he jealous about? Bruce said, "You built you car your self." I was beaming with pride because it was true. However, I did whisper back, "I'm jealous of you too Bruce, because I'll never be ablt to write a check as big as you have for your car!" (Terry Deters did that restoration for Bruce)
Really Mike, you and your son can do this.

Dave Lopes
Old 07-25-2010, 08:09 AM   #53
peters180a/170b

Mike , Very well put on all [5] area. If you do not have copies of the 23 judging standard sheets i'll send you mine to give you a idea on the breakdown. I'll repeat what the front sheet said: SUGGESTIONS ON HOW YOU MAY "IMPROVE". YOUR SCORE WILL BE """NOTED ON THE SHEET"""..I will use this as a sample on one of a few of my sheets. Instrument Panel and controls , 'Panel'- assigned points 20 [score 17] Why? .Speedometer points 20-[score 19] gas gauge 15 [score14],Chock rod 10-[score 9] ,switch+keys 20-[score18] .Mike, all these add upto not even 1 point off [almost]. But as a owner that did his homework i would like to know where and what i missed? Nothing was filled in as Judges comments. Same as other sheets but not all .Take interior plating ,[2 pages] 65 points total in this area and a credit goes to this team[a lg. area to cover].Not a biggie but out of all my plating [ IF=incorrect plating] assigned points 20 -score [18]. Ok i can live with that equals to way less then 1/4 a point but if its a part i can now remove and sent it out for correct plating i have no idea what part. Again i did my homework.When i started this restoration 7+ years ago,, a long time [MARC/MAFCA] judge tried to talk me out of it and told me at Hershey that some of it is political ,interrupt of a finish or restoration work by the judge at that time. A friend judging at a MARC meet on a team and he was restoring a fordor sedan and knew a area of judging by the book because he just finished his car in that area and the TOP judge took off points for 4 parts on a item. That's not in the book he said. TOP judge said i know the book is wrong the correct parts are ****.But we are to judge the way the standards say. Ok you are right ...but if my friend did not have the balls to challenge the TOP judge then the show car owner would of lost points. I said this a couple of times, I am a judge for A.A.C.A. and really enjoyed myself since 1974 .. Not all the time i got to judge "A"s but this one time i did at a GrandNational meet. We as a team was asked by a CHIEF JUDGE to shave some points on a coupe...38 POINTS! Said he's a old boy from back home and did alot for the club and .wanted him to go home with something.[award].So as a team we did .To this day i hate myself for letting it happen. Not only he recieved the GN. award but the Ford award too for that year. [holy shit] . I say never again . I'll walk off the field. And that's why i'll judge now and then and not as much as i did. Think it would turn off alot of people for becoming a judge. Thank's Mike for the break down... Nice day and i am off to a B.B.Q.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:27 AM   #54
peters180a/170b

Dave you are up early ??? WELL GOOD Morning. You are right about Bruce B.400A. Very nice car. He Sold them all and i was looking at a BOATING book [LAKE BOATS] and there he was dockside with a super restored lake boat. All wood boat and looked like a gym floor.Wonder if that was OVER RESTORED? L.O.L.

Last edited by peters180a/170b; 07-25-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:59 AM   #55
peters180a/170b

Here is something no one said yet! Only THE fine point car owners might pick it up looking at their sheets. Guy's check your sheet on AREA 20... Windshield Wipers [100 POINTS] ! ??? JS. states 10 points.. typo..l.o.l.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #56
henry494

Pete,
It's so very interesting how you spout off in your postings, then when specific replies and rebuttals are made to you, you simply ignore them and move on to a new post with the same old whining argument.
Maybe we are finally getting close to the end of this thread.

Dave Lopes
Old 07-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #57
Hank

Pete,

What is a Chock rod 10-[score 9]? Your post. Should I have one? The judges were generous with that score! The Judging Standards Committee is looking for a new member. You should send them your resume. I am sure you could help them out if you were picked. I think we should get Henry to take a look at your car and give his 2 cents. I forgot he is gone just like this thread you started should be.

Hank
Old 07-25-2010, 08:12 PM   #58
peters180a/170b

Choke rod... Hank... Why was the judges generous with that score? I don't know ,mint orginial Choke rod with no ware on rod ,correct cad. plating ,nice knob think might be the repro. choke rod grommet ?[They did not say?] They must also liked my mint n.o.s orginial accelerator cap,accelerator foot rest w/ orginial rubber ,or maybe the orginial steering column clamp rubber grommet ,mint steering wheel or spark+gas rods ,But did not like the finish on floor plates around the column [OR] over restored. Guess i lost points on ORGINIAL parts that was over restored and "some" repro parts[not many ,you can count them on 1 hand and have some fingers left over]. The end [ picture below for the people who nick pick!. ]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ps_2010_07_24___16_47_48.jpg (95.8 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by peters180a/170b; 07-25-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:02 PM   #59
Roadster62

I've known Peter for well over 30 years, and seen his '30 Roadster and 180-A up close at AACA meets. I've never been a MARC or MAFCA member, but judged AACA National Meets for 30 years, and quit 4-5 years ago. I like looking at Fine Point cars but would never live long enough to restore one myself. Sounds like a Photo Record is needed for every part of a Fine Point to prove it is an original. I better find the funds to buy a lifetime A parts stash and make some money. There is an innertube with dust cover in the garage that should bring a days pay on eBay. Thanks for the education.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #60
Blessyouboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Pete,
What is a Chock rod 10-[score 9]? ...
Hank
Not real sure, but it may attach to the nick picker.
Closed Thread