Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
Bob NH

Default Ignition ailments

I hope some one on here might have a suggestion where I should look next. The car up till now has always run well. I just changed the rubber boots from looms to outside caps with new ones and while at it there were no gaskets between the outer and inner caps so did that too. I cleaned the holes really well with fine paper in a drill as well as the tips on the plug wires and made sure they were pushed all the way in the cap but now have both front cylinders on right front missing. I changed plugs and there was no difference on those two cyls. even though there is spark but a little weak I think. Shorting the others with a screw driver you notice the difference easy. Where should I go next ? If this were a rotor issue it would affect all of them wouldn't it ? Thanks guys, Bob
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Re: Ignition ailments

My very first thought would be a crossed wire......

The rotor does in fact fire two fronts on each side though.........
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Bob NH

Well Bubba, I know if it turns out to be a distributor problem, I'll just put the spare on that you rebuilt a while ago ! After I posted, I had also thought It may be a crossed wire. Have not checked that yet. Thanks for the input, B.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:38 AM   #4
Terry,OH

Make sure the inner cap on the RH side is seated all the way into the distributor body, as the LH side is. Make sure the plug wire terminals have not pulled out of the inner cap.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
Bob NH

Here is a follow up. I crossed the wires this AM on the two front plugs, "Bingo" problem found and solved (switched them in the cap after that) Now if I could just overcome the heating problem, I'd be golden and happy ! 74 and a bit humid today. Took about a five mile ride after idle here for some time and stuck a thermometer in the radiator and it was right at or close to 212. What say you folks ?
Old 08-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
Chris Nelson

If your cooling system has not been cleaned out recently, you might try that. Some on this forum have said that using white vinegar straight in the engine will remove a lot of crud build-up. Having never tried that I can't give any actual experience, but it may work. Flatheads are known for running on the warm side. I had my engine cleaned out at build time. There were 2 quarts of old foundry sand that was impacted in the back of the block. I run a mild 3/4 and my temp is never over 190 on the hottest day. Make sure you are running a 50-50n mix of antifreeze-water.
Chris Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NH View Post
Here is a follow up. I crossed the wires this AM on the two front plugs, "Bingo" problem found and solved (switched them in the cap after that) Now if I could just overcome the heating problem, I'd be golden and happy ! 74 and a bit humid today. Took about a five mile ride after idle here for some time and stuck a thermometer in the radiator and it was right at or close to 212. What say you folks ?
Might want to advance the timing slot a couple degrees and drive it. That would be moving it upward ( advance) slight retard might create some heat.
Does it start really good........
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
Bob NH

Chris, I did have a 50-50 mix and have just plain water at the moment but it ran warm with that mix also. After seeing the latest ad on E -pay for a forty coupe in N.C. I might be tempted to sell this one for half that and be happy ! Yes Bubba, it does start right up after I snap on the electric pump and hit the gas pedal about twice. (shut off the pump after that) and run just the regular one. You say about two degrees up ? Thanks fellas