Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Bubsyouruncle

Talking Engine hoists

This may have been well-covered in previous threads, but I would appreciate the feedback from the folks who have been there on what constitutes a good engine hoisting rig. I have used an a-frame, and a joist, and a number of other OMG arrangements over the years. So far all my fingers are intact (no thanks to some of the dumb things I have done).

I an not getting any younger, and safety is far, far, more important than cost.
Bubsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
RMR&C

Default Re: Engine hoists

I have used many devices as well.....tractor with a front loader, chainfall, come along, etc. Finally bought a cherry picker (old, used) which I like best, my only advise on those is buy or borrow a GOOD one! The cheap imported ones are scary.
RMR&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
Tom Morookian

Lots of questions first:

If your a "shade tree" mechanic then a big enough tree works fine.

If your working on a concrete floor then an engine jack that moves is better than moving the car.

If you put a couple of 2 x 6's across the garage (assuming a 1 car garage), then a come-along or chainfall works OK.

I've even dropped an engine out the bottom, onto a creeper, and rolled it out.

If you buy a commercil engine jack, don't go cheap!
Tom Morookian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
wga

I use a hydrualic with a adjustable tilt that works just fine. Check the wall thickness of the tubing on these, you will see differences - why some cost $125 and others
are more $$. I prefer this to the chain fall I've used as I can move this hoist around
as required to move the engine.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
billwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubsyouruncle View Post
This may have been well-covered in previous threads, but I would appreciate the feedback from the folks who have been there on what constitutes a good engine hoisting rig. I have used an a-frame, and a joist, and a number of other OMG arrangements over the years. So far all my fingers are intact (no thanks to some of the dumb things I have done).

Go to Harbor Freigh and buy an engine hoist 99.95
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
Charlie Stephens

I vote for a good cherry picker. Rent one if it is a couple of days job otherwise buy one that can be taken apart for storage and transportation. I once used the 6X12 beam over my double garage door and a block and tackle that I bought at a swap meet. I opened the garage door and cut a hole in it where the chain needed to go through. After I was finished I added a couple of decorative pieces to the door, one of which covered the hole.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
El Rat

U-Steal-em engine hoist works well. Buy a good one, heavy with long legs (hoist...not). One that can be dis-assembled for storage works beat for me. Years ago I built engines in the attic of "pops" garage and then lowered thru trap door into my hot-rod! I wish I could "do it again"!!
El Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
DD931

And while you're buying your cherry picker (the only way to do this in a civilized manner), also buy an adjustable balance lifting rig to be able to adjust the center of gravity. You'll thank yourself when you try to change the angle of the engine as it is coming out.
DD931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
Tinker

Be careful of where you get the adjustable tilt rig. There was a thread on the hamb of cheap ones binding and also some experienced the chains breaking. Mines a cheaper one and it binds some, I changed the chains but I need to replace it completely.

I bought a good used 3 ton cherry picker from a family member for car engines and have a few chain falls for other heavy stuff. Good chains are a must and you can back up the chains with a couple of heavy ratchet straps. Better safe then sorry.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
Tinker

Here's the link to one of the threads on the bad engine tilt or leveler.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=308335
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
ford38v8

When I was young and dumb and full of s###, I used a chainfall over a 2x4 roof member to pull a 49 flatty, and luckily survived to pull a 4banger. The 2x4 was cracked, but held somehow, then I got even luckier when my chainfall was stolen!
Old 09-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
Frank Miller

I would be leery of using tree branches and wooden beams to hoist engines. A cherry picker with a good engine balancer will be best. Whatever you pay it will still be cheaper than a band aid in the emergency room.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #13
OLD...BILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubsyouruncle View Post

Hey Bubsy: "not getting any younger" try 81 ys. ... But to your "HOSTING RIG" ..a lot of good info on cherry pickers and etc. there was a tread some time ago. with pictures, about a LIFT PLATE which hit home with me, having come close to losing a part down the intake, as I put an engine together,and ready to install .... the lift plate is made to bolt in place of the intake manifold, and cover all open ports and it covers the open lifter valley completely, Keeps it clean, and use 6-8- or 10 bolts to cover the area,. and to lift with.....so much safer than a short chain and two bolts, in the intake port bolt holes. .. they do break out, yes I have seen it happen ... not fun and hey be safe.... OLD.....BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #14
Ross6860

The best one I have used had all four "legs" adjustable for length.

If I could find one like it I would buy it in a minute. It was a buddy's and he got it from Harbor Freight but they don't have that model any longer (this was 15 years or so ago).

You could get the front legs well beyond the pick point (hook) and extending the rear legs out gave great stability side-to-side. It was not collapsible, so it took up a lot of room. It only took a few minutes to disassemble it though if you needed the space.
Ross6860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
1931 flamingo

Used to use an A frame from a kid's 2 swing set and a "borrowed" chain fall (which I just got back from the borrower after 50 years. Worked great, was usually at a different home garage each week-end.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote