Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #21
Scott H

Default Re: strange things you've found in your newly acquired projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
No, but I wish I did along with the 65 Mustang I had when I turned 16 .
You mean like this one:
Steve's First Car.jpg

Or this one:
65leftfront.jpg

Or my current one:
Scott H GT 1966.jpg

by the way, congrats on 33 years! Looks like you kept the most special one!
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:34 AM   #22
41 Fords ohio

Besides the usual odds and ends tools and garbage I found a $5 gold piece in my 35 coupe it was down under an old rubber floor mat.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #23
Tim Armstrong

Bought a 40 sedan deliver, in the woods. Spent all day jacking it up and place a front and rear axle under it. Then I raked out a few hundred Progressive Farmer magazines from inside. Loaded it and headed out of the woods, told my buddy GLAD WE DIDN'T SEE ANY SNAKES. We just started down the road and a whole bunch of LARGE snaked started crawling out and all over the trailer. I hate snakes,
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #24
robert dick

Not a project, but back when i worked on Jags and Maseratis' a customer complained of a persistant door rattle when taking turns --inside was a 2" flatwasher , on a string, attached to the window channel--it would swing and hit the door pillar when she turned a sharp corner !! Some Italian was laughing like hell at us i'm sure.
robert dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #25
41 Fords ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert dick View Post
Not a project, but back when i worked on Jags and Maseratis' a customer complained of a persistent door rattle when taking turns --inside was a 2" flat washer , on a string, attached to the window channel--it would swing and hit the door pillar when she turned a sharp corner !! Some Italian was laughing like hell at us i'm sure.
That's funny!! I guess the attitude was if you have to build it and can't afford one,let's irritate the people who can. That's good
Old 03-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #26
G.M.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I found a 1934 news paper in the front 1/4 panel of Skips 34 P/U. I guess a factory worked put it in there. G.M.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #27
Binx

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert dick View Post
Not a project, but back when i worked on Jags and Maseratis' a customer complained of a persistant door rattle when taking turns --inside was a 2" flatwasher , on a string, attached to the window channel--it would swing and hit the door pillar when she turned a sharp corner !! Some Italian was laughing like hell at us i'm sure.

My Grandfather was a mechanic/alignment guy from the 20's on. Had a customer with a new ultra high-end car come in (sorry, can't remember make) with a rattle that the dealer couldn't find. It was a rock stowed in the frame in a captive area during assembly at the factory with the remnants of a paper note that read 'Here's your rattle you rich S.O.B.' He kept the rock in one of his tool boxes that he passed down to me. When I found it he told me the story. I mounted it on a wood base for him to keep.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:07 AM   #28
49r

Got my '49 F1 pickup in '73 off a farmer who'd had it since 1950. Amongst the interesting things under the seat were rubber rings for docking lambs tails. There was also a lot of cow dung underneath which was less interesting ...
49r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:14 AM   #29
grizz

1/2 inch of body putty under the paint.
grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #30
Skeezixx

A lawyer friend of mine bought a late model BMW at a police auction. When he got it home he noticed a non stock looking plywood panel under the spare in the trunk. When he lifted it he found $300,000 in cash. He returned it to the police or so he says.
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #31
Jthepburn76

Was rewiring my 53 Customline and had to remove the back seat. not much but did find a US Navy medal commemorating 2 cruises overseas. Also found a Vicente Fernandez CD in the aftermarket stereo the previous owner installed.
Jthepburn76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #32
Charles Seims

When I bought my 32 cabriolet there was a severed human hand and a human fetus in a jar in the rumble seat. Can any of you top that?

Well, since you all want to know-----it seems the seller's sister had a boyfriend who was a medical student, and he had a rather kinky sense of humor.

Chas Seims
Charles Seims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #33
Lawrie

We bought a 92 lincoln town car from an atorny in LA,we spent half a day cleaning out all the ammo from the boot,(trunk), drove all over the US and canada in it and for months after,and on rough roads more ammo fell out of the door pocket and from under the seat.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #34
TJ

Bought a 47 Ford and found a set of 47 California dealer plates under the rear seat. They looked like they had never been used by the dealer. They are currently on my garage wall.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #35
blacktopbuddha

This was in a stack of toppers in the back of my '42

blacktopbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #36
46Ford4dr

Bought a 77 pickup years ago, and found about a 7ft long thick chain under the seat. So I left it there. A month or so later I heard a loud noise that continued for a few seconds, so I looked over at the pass door, and the chain was falling out of the bottom of the door because of the huge hole in it, saw it just in time to see the last foot or so going out. I didn't stop, so someone found a nice chain in the middle of the road. Also, the heat never fully shut off when i turned it to off, always had hot air coming out of the vent and couldn't figure out why. Years later when I was taking out the interior to swap cabs, took apart the heat ducts and found a little blue action figure stuck in the plastic door that was supposed to close to shut the heat off.

The 47 I just bought I found all sorts of random things. A couple old beer caps, a used Badger airbrush and air tube that is probably from the 70's. When i took the back seat out, i found two crushed beer cans shoved up in the seat springs, and just random parts that weren't for that car.

A 49 Chevy truck that I had a year or so ago, I pulled up the rubber floor mat and found a huge sign that someone used to patch the massive holes in the floor.

And that's about all I can remember right now.
46Ford4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #37
Fe26

Not something I found in the car but underneath. My first '38' coupe came from a very rugged area of the South Island of New Zealand (Yeah I know, every country has a 'special place' where rugged induviduals take pride in being...well, rugged induviduals)

The short brake lever that goes from the brake pedal to the actuating lever had been cut a little more than halfway through. This was surely an accident that was waiting to happen.

When I bought this car I was in my early twenties and was going to Hot-Rod it. After I discovered the sabotaged brake rod I decided to paint a logo of a brake rod at the moment of breaking in gold leaf across a lower corner of the boot (trunk) with the word Homicide written above, in the comic book style.

Like so many projects it took a different course, after restoring the body I sold it, without the suspect brake rod.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #38
billvt

I installed a 40 dash in my 39 tudor in 1953. The 39 instruments were stored in the trunk. I sold the car when I was in the military and found it forty years later. When I opened the trunk the 39 dash instruments were still where they were stored when the car was sold.
billvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #39
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezixx View Post
A lawyer friend of mine bought a late model BMW at a police auction. When he got it home he noticed a non stock looking plywood panel under the spare in the trunk. When he lifted it he found $300,000 in cash. He returned it to the police or so he says.
Skeexizz ......................
The part of that story, that I don't believe, is that he is a lawyer ! They are the biggest thieves in the world !
I bet that he could have, legally, kept the money. $300,000.00 was, probably, nothing to him.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote