Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
Rustynutz52

Default Correct gas cap for 1939 deluxe

Does the correct gas cap for a 39 deluxe have a step down edge around the perimeter or is it a soft dome all the way to the edge. Anyone have a photo of an original one.
Rustynutz52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
Vic Piano

Default Re: Correct gas cap for 1939 deluxe

The one that was on our '39 CS when I got her (some 23 years ago) had the "soft dome" as you described it (I think it was original) I can't show you a photo because I only had the car for about a month when I left the gas cap on the bumper bracket and drove out of the gas station. By the time I realized I didn't have the gas cap on, it was too late... Now I use locking gas caps.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
Kube

The correct cap for the '39 Ford had a smooth convex outer cover and was made of rustless steel. The outer edge had a rolled knurl to aid in gripping. This 14 pitch (14 per inch) knurl was approximately .210” wide.
The inner steel pieces were cadmium plated. A brown fiber gasket provided the seal between the filler tube and cap.
Being a vented type design, a .090” diameter hole centered in the rivet was only visible when the cap was removed.

The reproduction caps are not correct and if you plan on having your car point judged, I'd advise you search out an OEM cap. Correct locking caps for "39 are about as scarce as anything you might imagine. I've seen a total of two correct locking types in my entire life. The reproductions are not even close to an authentic recreation.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
Rustynutz52

Kube, Thanks just what I was looking for, my car has the original cap with some dings, Its a Rouge car, I picked up a later nos cap, and it has the lip unlike my original. My father thought the smooth dome was original as it is on his 34 ford. He wins!!
Rustynutz52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
deuce lover

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynutz52 View Post
Kube, Thanks just what I was looking for, my car has the original cap with some dings, Its a Rouge car, I picked up a later nos cap, and it has the lip unlike my original. My father thought the smooth dome was original as it is on his 34 ford. He wins!!
Here is a pic of what that cap should look like.From 36 on it was vented.The 32-35 caps were not vented.In fact the 32 -34 caps had more of a radius at the edge than these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36-40 gas cap.jpg (32.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 36-40 gas cap_2.jpg (42.6 KB, 16 views)
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote