Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-24-2018, 11:40 AM   #1
Kube

Default Back Order Bob at it again...

I'd just attempted to order six items from Drake. Imagine my surprise when FIVE were back ordered!
Um, no surprise at all, other than one of the six was actually in stock.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:01 PM   #2

Default Re: Back Order Bob at it again...

I received an e-mail about a month ago about '34 grilles.
I contacted them to purchase one.
They don't have any.
They sold all their remaining '34 grilles to some outfit in the midwest.
The price immediately went up from 2200 to 2800 bucks.
Tulipmania (reality) is about to hit the car hobby.
3000 tack strips, 4,000 hoods, etc,
Good luck with that.
95476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:05 PM   #3
deuce_roadster

Mike, I have found that when you go to each item before you order it and click on "Status" it will tell you if it is in stock or out of stock. I only order parts that are IN and have not have had the unpleasant experience you just did.
Now if it told you the parts were indeed in stock, that is a whole other thing.....
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #4
rotorwrench

It seems like popular items are out of stock more often than not. This stuff seems to be more common during or just after economic adjustments. With that and getting hit with separate shipping fees whenever each item gets back in stock, it pays to purchase in stock items. The problem is that it always seems that all the vendors are out of stock on the items you really need and when you need it worst.

I just wonder how the repro part business is doing over all. If the sources got hit by recent tarrifs on import/export then the sources might dry up.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #5
B-O-B

I recently ordered a set of radiator hoses for my 59ab & they shipped & had them 2days.

I talked to a real live human. Bobs design for hoses & they fit nice with the correct bends.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #6
deuce_roadster

For a minute there I thought Bob Drake was responding!
Old 07-24-2018, 02:02 PM   #7
B-O-B

Don't think so Deuce checkout the hoses. They are really nice ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34 valve job 3.jpg (74.9 KB, 154 views)
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:37 PM   #8
Krylon32

Tried today to order some 32 parts and everything I wanted was OUT OF STOCK!
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:39 PM   #9
Ronnieroadster

Things will only get worse once the tariff wars are at full speed. Most stuff comes from China get ready the fun is about to begin.
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:30 PM   #10
deuce_roadster

B.O.B,
Yes, I have his hoses on my avatar roadster and 32 5w, both have 59 series engines. They fit really well. My 33 is stock.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:16 PM   #11
fsacht

On July 16 I went on line to order a part that a favorite supplier in New York showed to be in stock. I ordered it and finally today phoned to check status. They usually acknowledge orders in a day or two. When I called I learned the item is on backorder till at least December. Conclusion - part status at time of internet order may not be accurate. Think I'll start phoning my orders and get on the spot person to person verification of inventory.
fsacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:19 PM   #12
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Things will only get worse once the tariff wars are at full speed. Most stuff comes from China get ready the fun is about to begin.

I'm hoping we fair well. We will see. We don't have a population of people ready to work for what they say is fine or you can f' off. Work force is low but the buying power is through the roof. Can we buy our way through? We'll see what happens to farmers. It takes time, yrs for policy to actually effect us. I'm an optimist, we just have to invent a new internet. . or whatever. bit concerned we oped' out of solar technology. free money.... china is going to leap frog us there... for some reason we can't go there.

Repro parts have been in decline for at least 10 yrs. I don't throw a bolt away. I never have yet.

Look at the american beer industry. "craft beers" are going wild. Maybe we need craft ford parts! It might take more then 12$ and 1 day to get to you.

I drive approximately 80 yr old vehicles. That isn't going to change.

Here is a quote I always know is true. "Life is what happens while you're making plans" -john lennon

Last edited by Tinker; 07-24-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:44 PM   #13
skidmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
I'm hoping we fair well. We will see. We don't have a population of people ready to work for what they say is fine or you can f' off. Work force is low but the buying power is through the roof. Can we buy our way through? We'll see what happens to farmers. It takes time, yrs for policy to actually effect us. I'm an optimist, we just have to invent a new internet. . or whatever. bit concerned we oped' out of solar technology. free money.... china is going to leap frog us there... for some reason we can't go there.

Repro parts have been in decline for at least 10 yrs. I don't throw a bolt away. I never have yet.

Look at the american beer industry. "craft beers" are going wild. Maybe we need craft ford parts! It might take more then 12$ and 1 day to get to you.

I drive approximately 80 yr old vehicles. That isn't going to change.

Here is a quote I always know is true. "Life is what happens while you're making plans" -john lennon
Its the walmart syndrome. Lots of stuff cheap and quick. Instant satisfaction. Millenials.
Source out good parts and pay for them. I dont buy repop stuff from macs or bob drake
Hershey in the fall is one place but i dont throw much away either
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:51 PM   #14
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Will be interesting -What you may find is that other countries not playing the tariff game will still buy the Repo parts from China and you may end up sourcing your parts from them . In many countries the exchange rate would increase your buying power but shipping would be the killer (welcome to my world!) -Karl
Old 07-24-2018, 10:51 PM   #15
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
Its the walmart syndrome. Lots of stuff cheap and quick. Instant satisfaction. Millenials.
Source out good parts and pay for them. I dont buy repop stuff from macs or bob drake

Sh*t we all buy stuff from amazon and walmart, millenials created the micro beer market. But yes, we all want it now no matter the quality. that's true.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:57 PM   #16
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Will be interesting -What you may find is that other countries not playing the tariff game will still buy the Repo parts from China and that you may end up sourcing your parts from them . In may countries the exchange rate would increase your buying power but shipping would be the killer (welcome to my world!) -Karl

Don't worry I bet there are millions of US parts ready to ship once some guys understand their barns are chuck full of money. But then again some just don't want to sell.

Think about 15 million fords were produced around the 30s 40s. Maybe more? How many got junked? A old racer friend of mine always had to tell me how many he took to the scrap yard bummer.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:59 PM   #17
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Sh*t we all buy stuff from amazon and walmart, millenials created the micro beer market. But yes, we all want it now no matter the quality. that's true.
Don't include me in your statement.... I refuse to support Bezos and Walmart nor do I drink alcohol
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:03 PM   #18
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
I agree and any swap meet I can find I attend -However the number of cars imported to New Zealand was low and many have been wrecked as stock cars, rodded or left our shores (Lawrie alone took two to Australia!) so decent parts are in shorter supply here. Hersey is on my bucket list ! The one good thing about early V8's (and Model A's and T's) is that repo parts are available . They are not as good as original but they will work and keep you on the road. If you are a millenial who doesn't know one end of a screw driver from the other but like old cars owning an old Ford is not as daunting as other cars on account of the this ready "parts" supply.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:05 PM   #19
Tinker

Great movie! love Chicago's uncle buck. Hey portland is close to you... right? Like how portand made a city rule that no chain business can be built in the downtown area.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:07 PM   #20
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
If you are a millenial who doesn't know one end of a screw driver from the other but like old cars owning an old Ford is not as daunting as other cars on account of the this ready "parts" supply.

What's wrong with it being hard? If it was easy everyone would do it.

I know quite a few 60 yrs old that don't know what end of a screwdriver will work, or rebuilt a carb themselves, or know what points are.

Personally I hope they pull a few solid running flatheads out of cars so I can buy them cheap. Not happening though.

Last edited by Tinker; 07-25-2018 at 12:52 AM.