Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-28-2021, 06:52 PM   #1
nkaminar

Default Vinyl wrap instead of paint

Vinyl wrap is applied over existing paint to change the color and to protect the paint underneath. They even have a chrome wrap so you could make your car look like it was chrome plated. A heat gun is used to stretch the wrap over curves. You can also print any design on the vinyl before it is shipped, like a desert scene or a forest. You can use this on your covered trailer to put a photo of your car on the sides and back. I am sure you have seen this. It is used for race cars where the sponsors are printed on the vinyl. The next year the wrap is removed and a new one put on with new sponsors. It is a lot cheaper than a new paint job but the underlying surface must be in good shape, not a rust bucket. See https://www.rvinyl.com/

So, has anyone tried this with a Model A?
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:07 PM   #2
Gene F

Default Re: Vinyl wrap instead of paint

I looked into it once for the trunklid of my streetrod. The whole thing turned into a legal mess, so I said skip it. I wanted to put a photo of an album cover, or maybe generic photo off the web of a drive-in theatre. Perhaps "yeah it's a Mopar". Not worth the hassle. I didn't even ask how much...
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:13 PM   #3
Big hammer

The original stainless steel Tudor always made my heart beat faster! A wrap that looks like stainless steel would be cool
Old 11-28-2021, 08:49 PM   #4
Incognito-A

There’s a number of intricacies in a Model A that don’t exist in a modern car. It would seem that the labor and hassle to really make it look good would also raise the price considerably. Still probably much less than a quality paint job but it just begs the question “Why would you?”

Maybe someone enterprising will make the wrap in authentic Model A colors for those who just can’t decide.
Incognito-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:46 AM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
Vinyl wrap is applied over existing paint to change the color and to protect the paint underneath. They even have a chrome wrap so you could make your car look like it was chrome plated. A heat gun is used to stretch the wrap over curves. You can also print any design on the vinyl before it is shipped, like a desert scene or a forest. You can use this on your covered trailer to put a photo of your car on the sides and back. I am sure you have seen this. It is used for race cars where the sponsors are printed on the vinyl. The next year the wrap is removed and a new one put on with new sponsors. It is a lot cheaper than a new paint job but the underlying surface must be in good shape, not a rust bucket. See https://www.rvinyl.com/

So, has anyone tried this with a Model A?

We use wraps on our race cars due to costs compared to painting for visual appeal. We pay about $8.00 a square foot for the vinyl plus the graphic design work (-not applicable on most Model-A jobs). We do our own vinyl installation in-house which saves costs too (...at least it does after you become proficient with installing it ). If I were building a Model-A that would be used for motorsports (Bonneville or Hill Climbing or ??) I would definitely consider vinyl just for visual appeal.

You are partially correct in the underlying surface must be in great shape however this really needs to be emphasized as it is much more critical than most likely realize. The costs in a quality paint job is having a smooth surface for the top coat (-or vinyl) to adhere to. A dent, or paint chip, -or even 'orange-peel' paint quality will show thru on a vinyl job. Therefore the costs associated with a good paint job is the costs of prepping the foundation (sheetmetal repair and primer/surfacers) to remove any and all imperfections. If you are going to go thru all of the effort/expense to have a quality substrate, then you might as well just use paint IMO.

I believe Bob Campbell has a picture of his Model-A on his trailer that looks really nice.
Maybe he will post a picture of it?? Below is a picture of our 2022 race car that we debuted this past weekend at 411 Speedway in Tennessee.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2022 Wrap2.jpg (97.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 2022 Wrap3.jpg (99.3 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 2022 Wrap4.jpg (95.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 2022 Wrap6.jpg (97.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 2022 Wrap1.jpg (91.2 KB, 68 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:03 PM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

...a few more. Same basic aluminum body panels but totally different look that is easily changeable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wrap1.jpg (74.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Wrap5.jpg (63.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Wrap7.jpg (72.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Wrap3.jpg (54.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Wrap8.jpg (98.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Wrap9.jpg (93.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Wrap10.jpg (133.4 KB, 19 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:43 PM   #7
todd3131

I have been in the graphics industry since 88 and we print on everything from glass to metal and vinyl. Wrapping a model a body would be possible but wrapping the fender in one piece especially a 28 29 front fender would be a difficult challenge for the best installer. It could be wrapped in multiple pieces but it would take carful planning. The cost is prohibited also we would charge 5000.00 to wrap a model a Tudor. I we add graphic design another 1000 or more and to print and laminate air release vinyl that is around 16 a square foot. These graphics are for commercial vehicles we won't do any race cars.

Last edited by todd3131; 11-29-2021 at 08:55 PM.
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:41 PM   #8
Bill G

I would think the louvers on the hood would be a big challenge too.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:22 AM   #9
todd3131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
I would think the louvers on the hood would be a big challenge too.
The louvers are not that bad they just take a lot of time, and heat to stretch the vinyl without damaging it. I have done some pretty deep louvers and they have looked good just need to make sure that the material is heated up nicely so it will relax and not lift over time as it seeks a level. The hardest part on the hood would be the hooks for the latch.
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote