Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-24-2021, 12:20 PM   #1
chkolar

Default starter amps

I am trying to determine how many amps my starter draws when starting my car. I have a clamp on ammeter gauge and want to know how to test is. What procedure do I use? What should the starter draw during startup? My car doesn't start until I take my foot off of the starter button.
chkolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 01:43 PM   #2
gdmn852

Default Re: starter amps

Hello, make sure you have large diameter battery cables , can’t answer the amount of draw , but the older 6 volt system are larger than the 12 volt, the small cables are what I first look at on starting problems.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:35 PM   #3
Patrick L.

Just disable the primary circuit, such as, placing something plastic/cardboard etc between the points contact.
Place your ammeter across/around the starter cable.
Hit the starter and read the ammeter.
On 6v the draw should be under 450 amps. On 12v 250 amps.

It kinda sounds as if there is something drawing on the system which is not allowing enough electrons to the points. In other words the starter may be taking everything and when the starter is stopped spinning there is enough power to the points to allow the engine to start.

As mentioned, if 6v, make sure the battery leads are heavy enough to handle the load. The should be at least #1, however even bigger is 'more better'.

Last edited by Patrick L.; 11-25-2021 at 07:54 AM.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:47 PM   #4
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
Just disable the primary circuit, such as, placing something plastic/cardboard etc between the points contact.
Place your ammeter across/around the starter cable.
Hit the starter and read the ammeter.
On 6v the draw should be under 450 amps. On 6v 250 amps.

It kinda sounds as if there is something drawing on the system which is not allowing enough electrons to the points. In other words the starter may be taking everything and when the starter is stopped spinning there is enough power to the points to allow the engine to start.

As mentioned, if 6v, make sure the battery leads are heavy enough to handle the load. The should be at least #1, however even bigger is 'more better'.
I suspect you should have been referring to 12 v in one of those. Perhaps you could tell us which. Maybe in the first one you were referring to 12 v with the higher current.
BTW, the current for a 12 volt system will be double that of a 6 volt system if the starter hasn't been modified. That is, it will have 4 times the power. That's why they don't like 12 volts for long. Even the 5/8" shaft will eventually bend if 12 v is put through a 6 v starter. I've seen it too many times.

Last edited by Synchro909; 11-24-2021 at 07:53 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:15 AM   #5
w.michael

My own experience:

The starter would turn over normally, but the engine would not fire until I took my foot off the starter. I did not suspect any problem with the battery. I cleaned the cable connections and all electrical connections with no improvement. I finally replaced the battery and that solved the problem.

I don’t have the technical explanation for this. I just know what worked for me.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:28 AM   #6
GRutter

you cannot measure current with a Clamp-On Ammeter on a DC circuit. They are designed for AC circuits. In a DC Circuit, the ammeter would need to be in series with the load.

DO NOT ATTEMPT to hook an ammeter in series with the starter. Due to the high current, the ammeter will not survive and could be dangerous if not properly fused.
GRutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 02:20 AM   #7
TerryH

I had to have my starter replaced this last year, as it was drawing too much current, and my car was hard to get started. I had it tested and they then determined it was the starter itself. Once a new starter was installed it fired right up.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 02:20 AM   #8
bbrocksr

There is a starter draw tester which is an inductive ammeter . You hold it against the starter cable while engaging the starter and it measures the draw in amps. As previously mentioned 6 volt should be under 450 , 12 volt should be under 250.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 02:37 AM   #9
Kurt in NJ

running free--no load 2700 rpm 50 amps @ 6V
locked --14 ft lbs 0 rpm 3.75 volts 560 amps
cranking --engine 100 rpm . 225 amps ,4.75 volt
brush spring -35-40 oz
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 07:56 AM   #10
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I suspect you should have been referring to 12 v in one of those. Perhaps you could tell us which. Maybe in the first one you were referring to 12 v with the higher current.
BTW, the current for a 12 volt system will be double that of a 6 volt system if the starter hasn't been modified. That is, it will have 4 times the power. That's why they don't like 12 volts for long. Even the 5/8" shaft will eventually bend if 12 v is put through a 6 v starter. I've seen it too many times.

Oops. gotta start proofreading. Glad you saw that. I meant, 250 amp for 12v system.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:58 AM   #11
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRutter View Post
you cannot measure current with a Clamp-On Ammeter on a DC circuit. They are designed for AC circuits. In a DC Circuit, the ammeter would need to be in series with the load.

DO NOT ATTEMPT to hook an ammeter in series with the starter. Due to the high current, the ammeter will not survive and could be dangerous if not properly fused.

It depends on the type he is trying to use. I have one that works on DC. I bought it specifically for testing starters on a vehicle.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:53 AM   #12
rotorwrench

Some amp meters use the Hall effect to measure current flow. They will work on AC or DC current. There will be circular magnetic fields around any conductor that has current flowing through it.

If the starter is using up all the battery current on the start phase then the battery's capacity is severely limited. A way to check for a battery problem is to turn on the headlamps before a start attempt and see what they do while the starter is engaged. If the lights dim almost to no light output at all then there is either a problem with the battery or the starter. A good battery has a lot of cold cranking amps available if it's in good condition. This is a basic poor man battery load check. If lights come back up bright after the attempt then I'd check the starter. If the headlamps stay dim then it's likely the battery.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:09 AM   #13
Crankster

"Less than 250" sounds a little too vague to me, but I don't know for sure. These sound like OHV V8 numbers. A Flathead or early Ford in stock form at least, is not a high compression engine, I would think it would (or should) be considerably less than this. Probably closer to 150 amps?

For all that, a voltage drop test of both sides of the starter circuit would be useful. One probe placed on battery + POS post, the other to starter terminal (assuming NEG ground) should not exceed 0.5 volts whilst cranking starter.

Same test performed from - NEG battery post to a clean portion of starter case should not exceed 0.2 volts. Note that these are positive voltages, any voltage displayed on the meter represents electrons finding the voltmeter itself an easier path around than any loose, corroded or high resistance connections. High current low voltage DC starting and charging systems find almost any resistance however small to be a major defect, and as a practical matter almost impossible to measure effectively, so a "voltage drop test" has long been used instead to infer excessive resistance.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:29 AM   #14
goodcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chkolar View Post
I am trying to determine how many amps my starter draws when starting my car. I have a clamp on ammeter gauge and want to know how to test is. What procedure do I use? What should the starter draw during startup? My car doesn't start until I take my foot off of the starter button.
Car doesn't start until you take your foot off the starter button??? Your starter may be dragging the voltage down to the point where it is killing the spark. If possible, I would try a different starter but first make sure battery, starter and cable connections are clean and tight. Maybe try hand cranking.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:35 AM   #15
katy

https://ca.jbtools.com/sg-tool-aid-2...iABEgK8qfD_BwE
Attached Images
File Type: png DC current tester.png (10.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 11-25-2021, 12:34 PM   #16
Patrick L.

There ya go ! That one looks a whole lot newer than mine ! Everything ends up showing its age.
Old 11-25-2021, 03:24 PM   #17
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
Oops. gotta start proofreading. Glad you saw that. I meant, 250 amp for 12v system.
With respect, I think you have it backwards. The resistance of the starter doesn't change when you put 12 volts through it. With double the voltage, double the current will flow.
Resistance (R) is calculated by dividing the voltage (V) by the current (I). R=V/I.
Clearly if you double the voltage, the current doubles to keep the resistance (R) the same.
The power of an unmodified starter on 12 volts is 4 times what it is on 6 volts.
Power (P) is V x I. If bother have been doubled, the P is increased by a factor of 4.
That is why an unmodified starter running on 12 volts will turn over the motor so fast, the fan would nearly pull the car along!!
I expect the cranking current on 6 volts to be about 180-220 amps and double that for 12 volts.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:11 PM   #18
Patrick L.

Quote:
With respect, I think you have it backwards. The resistance of the starter doesn't change when you put 12 volts through it. With double the voltage, double the current will flow.
Resistance (R) is calculated by dividing the voltage (V) by the current (I). R=V/I.
Clearly if you double the voltage, the current doubles to keep the resistance (R) the same.
The power of an unmodified starter on 12 volts is 4 times what it is on 6 volts.
Power (P) is V x I. If bother have been doubled, the P is increased by a factor of 4.
That is why an unmodified starter running on 12 volts will turn over the motor so fast, the fan would nearly pull the car along!!
I expect the cranking current on 6 volts to be about 180-220 amps and double that for 12 volts.

Doesn't work that way. Many folks think it does.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:57 PM   #19
bbrocksr

Quote:
12 volts needs less amperage to do the same job that's why the cables are smaller.
12 volts 250 amps is equal to 6 volt 500 amps.

When you double the voltage you only need half the amperage.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:18 PM   #20
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrocksr View Post
12 volts needs less amperage to do the same job that's why the cables are smaller.
12 volts 250 amps is equal to 6 volt 500 amps.

When you double the voltage you only need half the amperage.
Bill
You are correct up to a point. To do the same job, requires the same power so with double the voltage, you only need half the amps. Trouble is, a 12 v starter doesn't do the same job as a 6 v one. It spins the motor faster because it has more power, hence more than half the amps.
Everybody knows what happens to a 6v globe if you put 12v through it. so we use a different globe (higher resistance) to give the same power. With double the voltage and the same power, the current is halved. THAT is why we are able top use thinner cables with 12v.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:41 PM   #21
Mister Moose

Quote:
Trouble is, a 12 v starter doesn't do the same job as a 6 v one. It spins the motor faster because it has more power, hence more than half the amps.
I don't follow this. Power and starter speed is not dependent on voltage, it's a function of design, the windings, and enough current at the battery to run it. Of course you could build a 6V starter to be more powerful.

The reason we build 12 volt systems, (and most modern aircraft at 24V, and tugboats at 32V) is to lower the current for the same power. Less resistive losses and as mentioned you can use smaller conductors. But it is not a power limitation.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:17 AM   #22
rotorwrench

I always think of it as current draw. In other words, a load like a series wound electric starter motor will only draw the current it needs to function. The amount of current needed will vary depending on the torque it needs to turn and the condition of the motor. The voltage is just the electromotive force that the current uses to flow. A higher voltage will allow for less current being needed to do the same job even though the current changes same as the voltage so it's not quite proportional. The 6-volt starter will certainly turn faster if not modified to work with the higher voltage but it still won't have to draw as much amperage with twice the amount electromotive force and current available to it. It would have around 4X the power as on 6-volt.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-26-2021 at 09:29 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 04:34 PM   #23
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I always think of it as current draw. In other words, a load like a series wound electric starter motor will only draw the current it needs to function. The amount of current needed will vary depending on the torque it needs to turn and the condition of the motor. The voltage is just the electromotive force that the current uses to flow. A higher voltage will allow for less current being needed to do the same job even though the current changes same as the voltage so it's not quite proportional. The 6-volt starter will certainly turn faster if not modified to work with the higher voltage but it still won't have to draw as much amperage with twice the amount electromotive force and current available to it. It would have around 4X the power as on 6-volt.
Give the man a prize!
Old 11-27-2021, 12:14 PM   #24
Patrick L.

These threads always seem to take on a life of their own. The man asked a simple question and I think we chased him away.
Old 11-28-2021, 08:38 AM   #25
Bob Bidonde

This starting motor data is from Dyke's Encyclopedia, and it applies to a starting motor in new condition:
Terminal Grounded (+)
Normal Armature Speed 1500 RPM
Amperage, Normal 175
Normal Running Torque 3 Lbs-Ft
Old 11-28-2021, 03:44 PM   #26
Patrick L.

Just get the little do-hickey Katy shows in post 15 and try it. Only takes a couple seconds. Its a great opportunity to buy another tool.