Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-13-2017, 09:38 AM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default Manners... A new rule...

I don't know where to start... So, lets start here. Read that thread in its entirety and note the seemingly endless list of people that feel as though they are being sniped or harassed by other users.

Ironically, some of the people complaining on that thread are the same people that are causing issues. Generally speaking, it's a huge mess... and I'm to blame. I just haven't done a good enough job getting rid of users that are destructive to the community. Today, I'm hoping to get back on the right track.

So, I'm introducing a new rule or protocol for dealing with users that just can't manage to post politely. It's a typical three strike rule. Essentially, a user that posts without manners will be banned for one week. A second offense and they will be banned for a month. A third offense and they will be banned permanently. Automatic bans will also be used for users that are obviously trying to cause problems for either the forum or a specific user.

We will give no special consideration for users with large post counts or specialized Ford Knowledge or anything else. It's a black and white deal.

Be nice or don't post.

I need help however... If someone posts something derogatory towards you, don't respond (if you further instigate the problem, you could be banned as well) - instead, use the report button. Help us weed out the people that are being so disruptive. We really need the help fellas...

Oh... and fellas... opinions are fine. However, if you can't post your opinion without bagging on someone else's you need to keep your opinion to yourself. Drama simply isn't welcomed here guys.... under ANY circumstance.

This is a fluid deal too. I'm working to clean the joint up and my strategies might fluctuate, but the general message will not.

Thanks fellas... and sorry for all the trouble,

Ryan
Old 01-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #2
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Manners... A new rule...

I "think" it's important to thoroughly read & digest the info, before blabbing my BIG mouth.
"Sometime" a little "humor" helps us to remember some GOOD proven advise.
I only post advise that has worked for me, personally. When not sure, I use quotation marks, like, "MAYBE" or "MIGHT" be helpful.
Bill W.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #3
Big hammer

Wow I surely must have missed some excitment! Bill W your humor is always looked for by me! Ryan-------you don't need to apologize ------It's your baby,I hope the bullying will stop
THREE STRIKES AND YOUR OUT!! that will take care of the bullying! Thanks!
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:36 AM   #4
TerryH

Enough.....thanks for stepping up and putting an end to this destructive habit some have fallen into.....
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:04 AM   #5
ricklove

Thanks for doing what's "right".
ricklove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:04 AM   #6
41plym

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
"Like"
41plym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #7
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

A step in the right direction but, I don't want to sound pessimistic but, don't be surprised if you get a one star rating for your effort. IMO, it's another path to rudeness.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #8
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Ryan,

You've done great job of moderating this forum. The Barn is actually pretty civil compared to other forum like sports and the news site.

I've been a lurker for three years now and primarily "listen" to the discussions, but I have taken a few shots when I have commented. However, although I can step it up too, I've chosen not to respond because it's not worth it. Sometimes you just need to let it go and move on to something else.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #9
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
A step in the right direction but, I don't want to sound pessimistic but, don't be surprised if you get a one star rating for your effort. IMO, it's another path to rudeness.
That guy was handed his walking papers this morning... And another was just banned as well... With any luck, this crack down won't take me long.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:05 PM   #10
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
That guy was handed his walking papers this morning... And another was just banned as well... With any luck, this crack down won't take me long.
Thank you....much appreciated.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:31 PM   #11
JRShaw

Smile Re: Manners... A new rule...

Ryan - I think that I speak for most of the polite, civilized crowd - I, for one, am very grateful for this site and your outstanding work and effort shown in it. There is an educational as well as social aspect to this forum, and the world is a better place for it. Keep up the good work and know that a vast majority of us are behind you always. Take Care
JRShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #12
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRShaw View Post
Ryan - I think that I speak for most of the polite, civilized crowd - I, for one, am very grateful for this site and your outstanding work and effort shown in it. There is an educational as well as social aspect to this forum, and the world is a better place for it. Keep up the good work and know that a vast majority of us are behind you always. Take Care
In that regard, please know that my harsh words and mostly actions aren't aimed towards the civil crowd just here to learn about old Fords. They are aimed squarely at the former and soon to be former members who are incapable of posting on a forum without thumping their chest or otherwise acting a fool. My big fear with this whole deal is that I run off good members who think I might be targeting them in this effort.

If you've never posted crossly on this forum, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. That's a promise.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:43 PM   #13
Licensed to kill

This is great news. I haven't experienced any rudeness on this forum but I don't read all of the threads either. However, I left the HAMB several years ago because of the ongoing rude comments and unsolicited negative opinions/comments. They were never directed at me as i was fairly new to the sight and hadn't posted much but what i was seeing told me that it was not someplace I wanted to be. I suspect that you have taken a similar stance over there so maybe I can check it out again. Thanks Ryan
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:47 PM   #14
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
This is great news. I haven't experienced any rudeness on this forum but I don't read all of the threads either. However, I left the HAMB several years ago because of the ongoing rude comments and unsolicited negative opinions/comments. They were never directed at me as i was fairly new to the sight and hadn't posted much but what i was seeing told me that it was not someplace I wanted to be. I suspect that you have taken a similar stance over there so maybe I can check it out again. Thanks Ryan
The H.A.M.B. is a much larger forum than the Ford Barn by a multiple of two or three. Even so, reported posts on the HAMB are almost half that of the Ford Barn. Part of that is because the Ford Barn's classified section receives almost 75% of the total traffic of the site, so I tended to spend most of my work time there. That was a mistake on my part as doing so has let the discussion part of the site get far worse than the HAMB has been since the early 2000's probably. I'm changing that obviously.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:07 PM   #15
TinCup

So many don't recognize the true value of this board to the Model A hobby. It is indispensable to those wanting to learn from experienced restorer's as well as find parts and materials they need. If it is more important for them to flame others than to truly support the hobby then so be it. So disappointing to have to resort to this kind of kindergarten rules for adults. Thanks Ryan.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #16
hardtimes

Hey Ryan,
AGAIN, I am with you 100% of the way in this matter and subject !
I'm just an old no nothing guy, oh except that I was taught to respect others in words and deeds. You are responsible for this forum and have shown that you were taught similarly as most. I'm feeling good that you take that responsibility seriously by your words and deeds. Obviously actions speak louder than words in this matter and your voice/actions will take care that the 'uncivil' ones have no place on your forum. THANKS !!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #17
ursus

Ryan, I fully appreciate your position on this matter. It is just a hobby and I don't take anything here personally so I am pretty much immune to this stuff. There are a few here that are a bit prickly and thin-skinned and there are a few that like to take pot shots at others. The real damage is done when new members are given a rude or indifferent welcome and never come back. I have seen some Model A clubs that invite new members, treat them poorly, and wonder why they quit. We don't need any turds in the Fordbarn punchbowl.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #18
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
Ryan, I fully appreciate your position on this matter. It is just a hobby and I don't take anything here personally so I am pretty much immune to this stuff. There are a few here that are a bit prickly and thin-skinned and there are a few that like to take pot shots at others. The real damage is done when new members are given a rude or indifferent welcome and never come back. I have seen some Model A clubs that invite new members, treat them poorly, and wonder why they quit. We don't need any turds in the Fordbarn punchbowl.
I think a few of these guys feel like their knowledge offsets any ill manners they might display... and others feel as though they are so knowledgeable that the forum as a group should figuratively bow down to obtain that knowledge. In either case, it's not gonna happen.

There really isn't an excuse for treating people like shit on the internet or in real life.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:40 PM   #19
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Ryan, great job. jack
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:54 PM   #20
DougVieyra

Sometimes rude children need to be reminded of bad behavior - sorry Ryan that we all need to be reminded of that from time to time. However, we all do appreciate your patience and effort to keep us civil with one another.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote