Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-20-2021, 08:25 AM   #41
aermotor

Default Re: Cost of Running Burtz Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
Quite frankly, a Burtz engine would be a bargain based on what I’ve invested in this one! 60HP at the rear wheels.
What kind of air cleaner is that? John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 09:19 AM   #42
denis4x4

It’s a Redline adapter on a Weber 32/36 with a repro Edmunds air cleaner
Old 11-21-2021, 10:14 AM   #43
Bob Bidonde

Wow! There is a lot of passion about the Burtz engine. Frankly, I would have one in a heart beat, but my piggy bank and repair window cannot afford one at this time. Luckily. I have my 45B Coupe to use while my 190A is laid up for a replacement engine.

My expectation is that many of the rebuilders will offer the Burtz engine in a complete short block, long block and ready to run. I think the price of a Burtz long block is going to be in the $6500 to $7500 range.
Terry Burtz, I applaud your engineering skill and your tenacity getting the Burtz engine into the market.
Old 11-21-2021, 11:42 AM   #44
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Bob,

You should buy a block even if you can’t finish it for a while. The cost will be going up after this run. You can also buy the other peripheral parts as you have the money. That way it will be less painful on the the wallet.

That’s what I’m doing and my wife won’t freak out when she sees a big bill all at once! She’ll probably just say take it out of your 403b.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 05:15 PM   #45
gdmn852

Hello, as a retired tool and die maker, I also appreciate the effort to build a complete new engine for a car that has been out of production for 90 plus years.Most people don’t realize the amount of machines and tooling to build even a simple container for deodorant let alone a multiple piece engine.Don’t think Mr Burtz will get rich on this considering the amount of work and labor investment he must have. Thanks again for bringing this project to life .
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:00 AM   #46
old31

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Personally, I hope that Mr. Burtz does get very rich from his efforts in helping out this hobby.

I can not imagine what he has had to do to get to this point with the engine. Must have had a few sleepless nights.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 04:30 PM   #47
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
Personally, I hope that Mr. Burtz does get very rich from his efforts in helping out this hobby.

I can not imagine what he has had to do to get to this point with the engine. Must have had a few sleepless nights.
I agree with this 110%
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:32 PM   #48
clifforddward

Great information and conversation here about running a Burtz engine...thank you to all for your postings...gives me much to think about for my car....
clifforddward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:01 AM   #49
updraught

To extract the most out of a Burtz block with the five main crank and oil pressure you'll need an over head valve head tho.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:21 AM   #50
nkaminar

I have a friend in San Jose, California with a 28 Cheby head for sale. If interested send me a PM. I have no iron in this fire. My friend is not on the Barn. He is 80 and trying to unload some Model A parts.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 01:14 PM   #51
johnneilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
To extract the most out of a Burtz block with the five main crank and oil pressure you'll need an over head valve head tho.
It depends on your application and intended usage of the vehicle.
Bumping a Model A up to 200 hp is achievable, making it stay together and safe is another. (the rest of the car)

The Burtz motor would be perfectly acceptable as a side valve version and more reliable than a 90 year old version.

To each their own, just be happy you have the option.

J
Old 11-23-2021, 07:37 PM   #52
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
I agree with this 110%
As do I and he offered it at a reasonable cost. We need more in the hobby like him. Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:32 AM   #53
Terry Burtz, Calif

If you have a recently rebuilt engine that has failed or want to make a change and save money building the "New Engine", your valve train, camshaft, timing gears, and all attaching parts can be reused if they are in good condition.

As a minimum, you will have to buy standard-size pistons with thin rings, a gasket set, front and rear crankshaft seals, and 12 bearing inserts.

In addition to the minimum, I would add head studs and nuts.

By reusing old parts that are in good condition, the additional cost for new parts to build an engine should be less than $300.

We will be displaying the "New Engine Kit", "New 30-pound Flywheel", and "New Camshaft" at the Modesto A's swapmeet in Turlock, CA on January 29 and 30, 2022, and I will be there to answer questions.

Our swapmeet space is in building E-2 and across the aisle from the snack bar.

We will be taking orders for the "New Engine Kits", "New 30 pound Flywheel", "New .340 inch lift Camshaft", and the "New Cylinder Head".

At the Turlock swapmeet, we will be offering discounts on all of our parts.
The "New Engine Kit" will be $3750 instead of $3950.
The "New 30-pound Flywheel" will be $325 instead of $350.
The "New Camshaft" will be $345 instead of $375.
The "New Head" will be $345 instead of $375.

The discount on the "New Engine Kit" is $200 which will help to pay for the minimal parts required.

Nobody can predict the future and our prices may increase because of inflation, the higher cost of container shipping, the increased cost of energy in the USA, and the cost of manufacturing in China due to government restrictions.

This post is not political and I ask you to not make political comments.

Terry Burtz
Terry Burtz, Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:05 PM   #54
fredski53

Will the new Burtz engine drive the cost DOWN for an overhaul on an original engine?
fredski53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:50 PM   #55
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredski53 View Post
Will the new Burtz engine drive the cost DOWN for an overhaul on an original engine?
IF you ever had to overhaul a Burtz engine, I fully expect they would be cheaper to rebuild. Everything would be the same - rebore, pistons, regrind the crankshaft, rings, cam gears, cam shaft etc but the bearings would be cheaper. Just buy a set if inserts with no need for pouring Babbitt bearings and line boring them.
From what I have heard, it sounds unlikely anyone would be able to wear one of these beauties out in a single lifetime. I'm going to have a good go at it though.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:14 AM   #56
Bob Bidonde

Thanks Terry for your response. It is what I am looking for. In the case of my broken Victoria, I have already made a commitment for an engine in "drop-in" condition wherein I do not need to salvage anything from the broken engine.

As for the future, as my piggy bank recovers from the holidays, I am considering a purchase of a Burtz Engine Kit for use in my Coupe banger project.
Old 12-10-2021, 10:40 AM   #57
BIG KEV

Do what I did, find someone removing a built up B block with no issues that is making room for his Burtz... Fraction of the cost of having one built... But that's my opinion... I have 3.5k wrapped up in a built B block, pushing almost 100HP at flywheel... There are deals to be found for sure...

I do agree the cost of the Burtz ready to run should be between 6 and 7k... If you hop it up majorly then push that cost up... way up...

Thanks for Having me here...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg COUPE 55.jpg (54.7 KB, 73 views)
BIG KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 01:14 PM   #58
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG KEV View Post
Do what I did, find someone removing a built up B block with no issues that is making room for his Burtz... Fraction of the cost of having one built... But that's my opinion... I have 3.5k wrapped up in a built B block, pushing almost 100HP at flywheel... There are deals to be found for sure...

I do agree the cost of the Burtz ready to run should be between 6 and 7k... If you hop it up majorly then push that cost up... way up...

Thanks for Having me here...
Big Kev,

Welcome to the Barn. Is that a Thomas Head? I’ve been thinking of getting one, primarily for the visual coolness factor of the fins, but I assume the fins help dissipate heat.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 06:57 PM   #59
Flathead

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
We don't need no stinkin' overhead valves.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 12:20 AM   #60
RickInVA

There comes a time when many will be confronted with installing a Burtz engine or have a trailer queen that is just polished. My engine has been bored .100 over and the crankshaft has been ground .020 under. To buy a rebuilt engine I must supply a rebuildable engine in return. To try to repair mine I am faced with a crank that has had the nitride hardning ground off and the the cylinders sleeved. I will also would need to deal with the head studs and loose heli coils. I end up with an unreliable, short lived, engine. The Burtz engine is the way to go.
RickInVA is offline   Reply With Quote