Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2021, 01:27 PM   #1
novaskilling

Default Top loader 3 speed parts condition help

I’m currently converting my open drive 3 speed to closed drive. My thrust washers have some pretty serious scratches and grooves in them from years of use. Is this considered a wear item that should be replaced or do you just continue to run them as is? Placing and order for seals and bearings so figured I’d ask first. Thanks! Chris.
novaskilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 02:37 PM   #2
jimvette59

Default Re: Top loader 3 speed parts condition help

The thrust washers are replaceable the surface areas that are important are the front and rear surfaces in the trans.case where they are. There is a specific measurement between that distance. Get the VANPELT Book on how to rebuild a Transmission and the parts list.

Last edited by jimvette59; 10-24-2021 at 02:46 PM.
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 02:50 PM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

Best order thrust washers along with your seals and bearings, IMHO.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 10-24-2021 at 02:57 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 02:52 PM   #4
Bored&Stroked

The thrust washers are available in a couple different thicknesses. You need to let us know what year transmission and gear set - there are differences. I only build transmissions with the later 39 - 48 gear sets. I set the overall main shaft gear pack to have a thrust clearance of about .003 to .004 max. I frequently have to "tune" the clearances via slight modifications to thrust washers and/or the back of 2nd gear - though I have a precision surface grinder to do this work (very few would have that).

Another super important check is the shape of the front bearing surface of the mainshaft. These are frequently worn - something you don't want. You need the mainshaft to be in as good of a shape as possible.

Lastly, I have Charlie NY rebush my 2nd gears for a tight fitment. I want a slight drag on the mainshaft (spinning the 2nd gear by hand).

Another thing to ponder are the 3 caged roller bearings (2 in cluster, 1 on mainshaft) - I have yet to find any repop ones that are worth a crap. The cages are not hardened and the bearings tend for fail after limited use. Try to use original Ford bearings - either good used or maybe you can locate NOS ones (is difficult).

Cluster Shaft: Measure the main cluster shaft - it really should not have wear on it. If it does, you can sometimes turn it over and put the wear side on the bottom (this helps). It is difficult to find NOS or good used Ford shafts - but they are the only ones I've found worth using. All the repop shafts are about .001 undersize, are too soft, use inferior materials and should not be used.

Okay - enough out of me!
B&S

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 10-24-2021 at 07:22 PM.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 03:00 PM   #5
Bored&Stroked

The book from Mac VanPelt is a good book and he supplies a lot of parts that I use on my rebuilds. Also, Mike from ThirdGen is another good source (and there are others). These transmissions are very simple - though quality of parts and tight clearances are really important. This is especially true if you don't like to have it "pop out of second gear" - which is an all too common problem. There were many a dirt track racer who had a "hook" on their dash - so they could push the gear lever behind it and hold it in second for the whole race.

All the things I mention above are necessary to prevent this issue. I for one can't stand having my trans pop out of second on deceleration - drives me nuts! LOL

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 10-24-2021 at 07:24 PM.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote