Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-31-2017, 11:58 PM   #61
pooch

Default Re: VanPelt 47 Tranny Rebuild

Going down a hill is pulling the engine/gearbox backwards via the torque tube.

If you have spongey engine mounts, and a floor shift, you could see any jerking movement, but as you have a column shift, it is not visible easily.

Is there a floor plate over the box that you can remove and see any movement?
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:57 AM   #62
Drbrown

"IMHO" thinking: Given the three engine mounts in a '47, such as I also have, (2 pads in front; one saddle clamp pad on rear of tranny), combined with the frame to engine longitudinal anti-chatter rods .... if in good condition and properly installed, I believe there is little to no opportunity for longitudinal (front to rear) movement in the engine-tranny-torque tube assembly within the car frame considering they are all bolted together. However, as noted in this thread, the movement of the internal parts and acceleration and deacceleration of the car produce varying ROTATIONAL stresses in the assembly .... i.e. clutch pedal and transmission shift connections. The universal joint allows some minor internal front to rear movement at the torque tube shaft.

Also, lateral (side to side) shifting of the rear of the body produces lateral stresses on the rear of the torque tube and axle-wheel assembly due to the flexibility in the rear spring (the stock sway bar may reduce this), shocks and rubber tires.

The "popping out of gear" during acceleration/deceleration/inclines/declines (hills) together with the shift in car body weight suggests to me that something is happening in the shift linkage between the car body and tranny .
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:43 AM   #63
rotorwrench

Ford discontinued the use of anti-chatter rods or engine radius rods just before involvement in WWII so this car wouldn't have them unless someone installed a modification at some point. The movement of the engine can effect clutch and shift linkage if the mounts are spongy and the engine/drive train moves around too much.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:10 AM   #64
Kahuna

Who pays to pull that transmission again?
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:43 PM   #65
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Who pays to pull that transmission again?
No one pays. I suffer the torture myself, just like every time.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:35 PM   #66
slowforty

At least everything will be nice and clean.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:11 PM   #67
pooch

We had a guy in our club with a late 40/s chevy with a problem gearbox.

He had it out so many times, another club member suggested he puts in back in with wing nuts next time to make it easier the next time out.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:15 PM   #68
Lawrie

One thing to remember is we are dealing with a 70 yr old car, we are lucky to have suppliers like Mac on hand,BUT,these parts are not available at the local Ford dealer,if they were we could just drop in and get a new trans,job done,but we can't,for those of us who do a lot of miles, we have to do the best with what is available.
Hang in there Craig
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:48 PM   #69
rotorwrench

I've pulled transmissions out several times in a row due to problems but most of the problems were of my own making or lack of good judgment. We all take risks at one time or another on some of these old parts just because there aren't a whole lot of good replacement parts out there and the ones that are ain't cheap. I've learned plenty of lessons in the school of hard knocks but I've also gotten lucky a time or two.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:41 AM   #70
Mart

My 40 used to pop out of 2nd. I think the column linkage does not help. In 2nd the shift lever is up. Gravity is trying to pull it down. If the 2nd gear is borderline, the linkage will push it to the wrong side of borderline and pop it out.

I had grandiose designs for a spring assist but sold the car before coming up with a proper solution.

Just my musings.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:56 AM   #71
Terry,OH

I see in the V8 Times: Early Ford V8 Sales, Inc. has new 81A-7102 second gear, if it comes to that. I too suspect another problem and believe driving the car with the transmission floor cover off may help find it.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:04 AM   #72
rotorwrench

The 81A-7102 2nd gear was the original design for these type gears. It uses a sleeve inside the bushing and a pin in the main shaft to hold it all in position. A change to this type gear may require a change back to the old style main shaft. The 51A-7102 was used after the war and they are harder to find NOS. It might be time for a change unless a person can come up with the later part. The early style might work well in deceleration but I don't know if it would be any better or not.