Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-08-2017, 10:50 AM   #21
Dick Steinkamp

Default Re: Did I Get Hosed on Ebay???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
3 ways.

Only buy on Ebay.

Never accept paypal.

Sell elesewhere other than Ebay.
Actually, I do the exact opposite . I only sell on eBay...hardly ever buy on eBay, and I always accept PayPal.

There is no other place I know of where you can get more "eyes" on the item you are selling than eBay. Their fees are dirt cheap (IMHO) considering the huge market you have available to you. Because of that, there is more buyer competition for your item and therefore, higher sales prices.

With that said, you must have a desirable item to sell AND an attractive and informative listing. Put yourself in a buyer's shoes. What would make you comfortable as a buyer. Detailed description...including any "warts". Lots of pictures. Good communication when questions arise. One fuzzy picture and a one sentence description is not going to bring top dollar.

You also have to be involved in the sale and with the bidders. Answer question immediately and completely. I've cancelled bids and blocked bidders when I read their feedback on other purchases they have made.

I always accept PayPal. One of my goals as a seller is to make it as easy as possible on the buyer. One click and they've paid for the item. No trips to the post office for money orders, no checks that have to be mailed (and to clear on my end). On big ticket items, like a vehicle, I ask for a deposit via PayPal and the remainder via wire transfer. I then send the signed title via FedEx and the buyer arranges transport. A wire clears that day. Any sort of check (including a cashiers check) takes a good 10 days to clear.

I recently sold this car. It was a sweet heart, but I already have too many cars and I was lusting after another project...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/132203684472...84.m1559.l2649

I don't buy to resell, but when I buy it is generally on CraigsList, a swap meet, or a word of mouth deal. Much less buyer competition than eBay. Lower prices for similar items. Often better items and you can usually inspect them personally before purchase. My best scores are poorly written (and photographed) CraigsList ads. The kind people post on forums as examples of the type they would never call on. They are often worth a call or a visit after the ad has run a while and no one else has responded.

Yep, there are horror stories out there about using eBay Craigslist, Amazon, the corner auto parts store, etc. I believe that most of the horror stories are probably urban legends (I heard from Bill, who heard from John, who read something on the internet that someone got screwed on eBay) but enough of them are real that you have to keep your eyes open as a buyer or seller...no matter where you choose to buy or sell.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:03 AM   #22
BILL WILLIAMSON

Imagine the shipping charges on a complete rear end!!! Duz USPS have a BOX for them?---LOL
Bill W.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:16 PM   #23
denniskliesen

I bought my most expensive car that was advertised on ebay. And even tho it was at the opposite end of the US, I flew out to look at it. There were no questions then and all processing was taken care of and transportation arranged before I got on the plane and flew home. I'd never buy a big ticket item without inspecting or having a certified inspection with details of pictures and report.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:34 PM   #24
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskliesen View Post
I bought my most expensive car that was advertised on ebay. And even tho it was at the opposite end of the US, I flew out to look at it. There were no questions then and all processing was taken care of and transportation arranged before I got on the plane and flew home. I'd never buy a big ticket item without inspecting or having a certified inspection with details of pictures and report.
Dennis,
A Friend bought an EX-CALIFORNIA slant window, from N.Y. on E-Bay, SIGHT UNSEEN!! The ONLY thing that was WRONG, was faded wheel paint
Bill Gladforhim
Old 07-08-2017, 05:15 PM   #25
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK PKNY View Post
PayPal has become a big problem.Now it's tied into EBAY and Facebook somehow. People will complain and the seller automatically has the funds deducted, even though he may not be at fault. I am hesitant to use it for incoming funds.
Umm, paypal is now a separate company from ebay and has nothing to do with facebook.