Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-04-2016, 09:13 AM   #1
ryanheacox

Default Fiberglass Fenders

Over the past two years I've noticed cracks showing up in the fenders on my Fordor. In fact, I had the right fender repainted and it cracked at the outer front mounting bolt hole as I was putting it back on... There is also a crack in the splash apron on the same side and I just noticed a web of cracking near the hood on the other side yesterday.

As far as I know, these are original fenders that are just full of bondo. Would the fiberglass fenders hold up any better? I've heard bad things about the 30-31 steel fenders and I have no intent of selling since the car has a lot of sentimental value but I do drive it quite a bit.

Also, what would be the approx. cost of taking the old fenders to a metal shop and having them worked on to eliminate the need for that much bondo? I'm not sure what kind of shape they're in under the paint.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:37 AM   #2
mshmodela

Default Re: Fiberglass Fenders

If you can find original fenders, that would be best... I'm sure Berts has them...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:03 AM   #3
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post
Over the past two years I've noticed cracks showing up in the fenders on my Fordor. In fact, I had the right fender repainted and it cracked at the outer front mounting bolt hole as I was putting it back on... There is also a crack in the splash apron on the same side and I just noticed a web of cracking near the hood on the other side yesterday.

As far as I know, these are original fenders that are just full of bondo. Would the fiberglass fenders hold up any better? I've heard bad things about the 30-31 steel fenders and I have no intent of selling since the car has a lot of sentimental value but I do drive it quite a bit.

Also, what would be the approx. cost of taking the old fenders to a metal shop and having them worked on to eliminate the need for that much bondo? I'm not sure what kind of shape they're in under the paint.
IMHO, if you get the right quality fiberglass fenders, they make a lot of sense if you are not building a Point car.

The key is to buy the best. Wescotts are..

Larry
Old 09-04-2016, 10:33 AM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Go with the new metal fenders... They are not that bad to install...
Driver or not fiberglass kills the value IMO

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 09-04-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:08 AM   #5
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

In my opinion, if you install fiberglass fenders you decrease the value of the car significantly and you also reduce the amount of potential buyers in the future. I personally have refused to bid on cars with fiberglass fenders. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:10 PM   #6
Charlie Stephens

Look under the fenders, that will tell you how bad they are. Try to stay with steel.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:22 PM   #7
Bruce Newbery

I have Wescotts fiberglass fenders on my 29 hardtop pickup and have over 40,000 miles on them and no cracks and have hit some pretty big pot holes and no problems. I bought my second set in December direct from their store in Demascus Oregon. The fenders are perfect in every way. I compared them to original ones and they were exact. The people at Wescott were exelent to deal with.
Bruce Newbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:10 PM   #8
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Newbery View Post
I have Wescotts fiberglass fenders on my 29 hardtop pickup and have over 40,000 miles on them and no cracks and have hit some pretty big pot holes and no problems. I bought my second set in December direct from their store in Demascus Oregon. The fenders are perfect in every way. I compared them to original ones and they were exact. The people at Wescott were exelent to deal with.
But you no longer have a car like Henry built it. You have a car that resembles a kit car. Wayne
Old 09-04-2016, 04:10 PM   #9
apbright

I was experiencing similar problems with the original fenders on my '31 Roadster. Last winter, I undertook to repaint them (what else is one going to do that time of year in Finland?). I chose to wire-brush them down to bare metal, and while doing so went through large patches of bondo easily 1/4-inch thick, maybe even 3/8th's in some places. I spent maybe 8 hours hammering out very rough spots, and then used modest patches of bondo and filler, trying to keep the thickness of all that below 1/8th of an inch, altogether probably another 8 hours of work. Keep in mind, I am a rank-amateur, who barely knows which end of a body hammer is 'up.' Mine is not a show-car, but I am happy with the result.

My guess is a professional body shop would have taken 10-15 hours of labor to achieve similar (better?) results, so I'd figure $700-1500, depending on your local shop rates, and the condition of the underlying steel. I suppose it could be more if they're real swiss-cheese-full'o-holes.

I have no experience with fibreglass fenders, so can't comment on those. I prefer steel, but possibly only for emotional, sentimental reasons.
apbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:16 PM   #10
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Newbery View Post
Hey Bruce,
What was cost per fender ?
And, how do they compare, weight wise, to same metal fenders. I'm thinking that...if they are as nice as you say, maybe take off my '30 roadster front fenders and try them ? No sentimentality here, eh , but would like to save on weight factor.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:39 PM   #11
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Bruce,
And, how do they compare, weight wise, to same metal fenders. I'm thinking that...if they are as nice as you say, maybe take off my '30 roadster front fenders and try them ? No sentimentality here, eh , but would like to save on weight factor.
Yes, because model A's are so ponderous.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:47 PM   #12
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Hey Bruce,
What is your concern with weight? Wayne
Old 09-04-2016, 06:50 PM   #13
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
Yes, because model A's are so ponderous.
Good word but hardly descriptive of a Model A! Wayne
Old 09-04-2016, 07:35 PM   #14
pooch

As fibreglass should be 3.5 mm thick, it weighs about 3 to 4 kilos a square metre.

I would guess a front glass fender would weigh about 4 kilos or 9 pounds.

A steel one would be very similar in weight I would guess, maybe a bit heavier but certainly not a huge weight saving.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:46 PM   #15
ModelAMike1930

I have fiberglass front fenders on my 1930 coupe and they are great. No cracks and if you don't tap on them you would never know they weren't original.
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:50 PM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Depending on how bad yours are, I would seriously look into having them fixed. Fiberglass fenders look fine and holdup well.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #17
eagle

Bring your car to any reputable body shop and they will give you a free estimate. All of the comments on fordbarn are going to be pure guesses.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #18
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Go with the new metal fenders... They are not that bad to install...
Driver or not fiberglass kills the value IMO
Glass fenders are better than a kick in the HEAD! Friend, Ted, uses them. He finishes them underneath & they pass off for ORIGNALS!
He's CHEEP, like ME--LOL--(I have this "thing"?? in my LEFT ear, that sometimes goes, CHEEP-CHEEP, like a tiny bird, REALLY!) I guess it's better than a RINGING sound??
Cheep Dad
Old 09-05-2016, 09:46 AM   #19
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Glass fenders are better than a kick in the HEAD! Friend, Ted, uses them. He finishes them underneath & they pass off for ORIGNALS!
He's CHEEP, like ME--LOL
Cheep Dad
How does he finish them underneath
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:58 AM   #20
Licensed to kill

I have one with steel fenders and one with 'glass fenders. Good 'glass fenders aren't cheap. They cost about the same as repop steel ones. I sprayed the bottom of the 'glass fenders with "raptor" box liner so you can not tell they are 'glass by looking at them. I do find it humorous though when i see people "discretely" feeling under the edge to determine if they are steel or 'glass (as if it matters).
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:06 AM   #21
ford31

restored a 29 pickup 10 maybe 15 years ago used fiberglass fenders,bought truck in Desota,Ks,guy bought truck from gave me phone number of guy in Arkansas that made fenders and also coka cola trailers,I sold truck I wanted late 31 pick up, saw truck last summer and still looks like day it was painted
ford31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:57 AM   #22
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
As fibreglass should be 3.5 mm thick, it weighs about 3 to 4 kilos a square metre.

I would guess a front glass fender would weigh about 4 kilos or 9 pounds.

A steel one would be very similar in weight I would guess, maybe a bit heavier but certainly not a huge weight saving.
Hey pooch,
Thanks .
I do not get to swap meets very often, but when I do, I see entire front and sometimes even with rear fiberglass Model A fenders for sale...with excellent black paint..cheap ! So, I've been tempted. But, I've also been tempted to remove the front fenders all to gether

When my two original '30 roadster front fenders were on the floor and appeared not to be 'fixable', I spoke to an old guy about repairing them back to beauties. He said....'why' not try to repair them yourself, if if you are not happy with them and your work, then we can go from there '.
He gave this advice after telling me approximate $$$$ for him to do the work.
I did as he suggested. The fenders, although not perfect, like new, are darn good for a driver....and that's what I am

BTW...regarding tools for such work, I had ballpeen hammers Other than the Dolly that I occasionally dated in school, didn't know that there was any other kind. Still got the 'job' done. Maybe you can too
Old 09-05-2016, 11:58 AM   #23
ryanheacox

Based on what everyone has been saying, I think I might get a set of glass fenders next summer, they're about $100 cheaper than steel per side and seem like they should fit much better. I'm hoping to also work on the original ones myself with my uncles help, he works restoring antique planes. Hopefully I'll have a nice set of original fenders when all is said and done.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:00 PM   #24
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
How does he finish them underneath
Ted sands them with a rotary air sander, 3 heavy coats of primer, another sanding & paints them sort of a semi-gloss BLACK.
Some Guys just do 3-M, undercoating, in a spray can. It goes on very nice & smooth. One Guy did ALL his undercarriage, with it. I once used it to "refresh" the factory undercoating, on a '59 Jaguar MK-9 show car & it passed for "original"--I also repainted the lower R/H door, with spray can LACQUER & passed it off as "original" paint! After MANY tries, it finally received a FIRST @ a prestigious car show & he NEVER showed it again!
Dad

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 09-05-2016 at 02:11 PM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:11 AM   #25
pooch

Quote:
Hey pooch,
Thanks .
I do not get to swap meets very often, but when I do, I see entire front and sometimes even with rear fiberglass Model A fenders for sale...with excellent black paint..cheap ! So, I've been tempted. But, I've also been tempted to remove the front fenders all to gether

When my two original '30 roadster front fenders were on the floor and appeared not to be 'fixable', I spoke to an old guy about repairing them back to beauties. He said....'why' not try to repair them yourself, if if you are not happy with them and your work, then we can go from there '.
He gave this advice after telling me approximate $$$$ for him to do the work.
I did as he suggested. The fenders, although not perfect, like new, are darn good for a driver....and that's what I am

BTW...regarding tools for such work, I had ballpeen hammers Other than the Dolly that I occasionally dated in school, didn't know that there was any other kind. Still got the 'job' done. Maybe you can too
No more guessing weight....

Did the comparison test today.

The milk crate was zeroed out of equation.

"glass front fender weighs 5.2 kilos or 11.46 pounds.

Steel fender weighs 7.1 kilos or 15.65 pounds.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:25 PM   #26
hardtimes

Hey pooch,
YOU are a good guy !!
Thanks for taking the time !

Last edited by hardtimes; 09-11-2016 at 05:27 PM. Reason: ...........
Old 09-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #27
pooch

Funny thing is, each fender is 1.9 kilos difference.

2 fenders are 3.8 kilos..... 1 litre of fuel weighs 1 kilo.....there are 3.8 litres in a US gallon.

So if you use fibreglass front fenders it is an exact weight saving of one gallon of gas.