Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2016, 11:06 AM   #21
ford31

Default Re: Fiberglass Fenders

restored a 29 pickup 10 maybe 15 years ago used fiberglass fenders,bought truck in Desota,Ks,guy bought truck from gave me phone number of guy in Arkansas that made fenders and also coka cola trailers,I sold truck I wanted late 31 pick up, saw truck last summer and still looks like day it was painted
ford31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:57 AM   #22
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
As fibreglass should be 3.5 mm thick, it weighs about 3 to 4 kilos a square metre.

I would guess a front glass fender would weigh about 4 kilos or 9 pounds.

A steel one would be very similar in weight I would guess, maybe a bit heavier but certainly not a huge weight saving.
Hey pooch,
Thanks .
I do not get to swap meets very often, but when I do, I see entire front and sometimes even with rear fiberglass Model A fenders for sale...with excellent black paint..cheap ! So, I've been tempted. But, I've also been tempted to remove the front fenders all to gether

When my two original '30 roadster front fenders were on the floor and appeared not to be 'fixable', I spoke to an old guy about repairing them back to beauties. He said....'why' not try to repair them yourself, if if you are not happy with them and your work, then we can go from there '.
He gave this advice after telling me approximate $$$$ for him to do the work.
I did as he suggested. The fenders, although not perfect, like new, are darn good for a driver....and that's what I am

BTW...regarding tools for such work, I had ballpeen hammers Other than the Dolly that I occasionally dated in school, didn't know that there was any other kind. Still got the 'job' done. Maybe you can too
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:58 AM   #23
ryanheacox

Based on what everyone has been saying, I think I might get a set of glass fenders next summer, they're about $100 cheaper than steel per side and seem like they should fit much better. I'm hoping to also work on the original ones myself with my uncles help, he works restoring antique planes. Hopefully I'll have a nice set of original fenders when all is said and done.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:00 PM   #24
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
How does he finish them underneath
Ted sands them with a rotary air sander, 3 heavy coats of primer, another sanding & paints them sort of a semi-gloss BLACK.
Some Guys just do 3-M, undercoating, in a spray can. It goes on very nice & smooth. One Guy did ALL his undercarriage, with it. I once used it to "refresh" the factory undercoating, on a '59 Jaguar MK-9 show car & it passed for "original"--I also repainted the lower R/H door, with spray can LACQUER & passed it off as "original" paint! After MANY tries, it finally received a FIRST @ a prestigious car show & he NEVER showed it again!
Dad

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 09-05-2016 at 02:11 PM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:11 AM   #25
pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey pooch,
Thanks .
I do not get to swap meets very often, but when I do, I see entire front and sometimes even with rear fiberglass Model A fenders for sale...with excellent black paint..cheap ! So, I've been tempted. But, I've also been tempted to remove the front fenders all to gether

When my two original '30 roadster front fenders were on the floor and appeared not to be 'fixable', I spoke to an old guy about repairing them back to beauties. He said....'why' not try to repair them yourself, if if you are not happy with them and your work, then we can go from there '.
He gave this advice after telling me approximate $$$$ for him to do the work.
I did as he suggested. The fenders, although not perfect, like new, are darn good for a driver....and that's what I am

BTW...regarding tools for such work, I had ballpeen hammers Other than the Dolly that I occasionally dated in school, didn't know that there was any other kind. Still got the 'job' done. Maybe you can too
No more guessing weight....

Did the comparison test today.

The milk crate was zeroed out of equation.

"glass front fender weighs 5.2 kilos or 11.46 pounds.

Steel fender weighs 7.1 kilos or 15.65 pounds.

pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:25 PM   #26
hardtimes

Hey pooch,
YOU are a good guy !!
Thanks for taking the time !

Last edited by hardtimes; 09-11-2016 at 05:27 PM. Reason: ...........
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #27
pooch

Funny thing is, each fender is 1.9 kilos difference.

2 fenders are 3.8 kilos..... 1 litre of fuel weighs 1 kilo.....there are 3.8 litres in a US gallon.

So if you use fibreglass front fenders it is an exact weight saving of one gallon of gas.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote