Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-26-2019, 10:34 PM   #1
Blazer006

Default Where to start?

Hi I'm new here and a little lost......so here goes anyways...Recently I acquired a 1930 A Tudor that has a lot of history with it family history...The car was purchased by my Dad and its co owner his brother around 1980.... Thru the next twenty years it mostly sat as they stock piled parts with a occasional weekend worth of work done on it. The two had the same car back in the early 40s they shared as their first ride so I guess they just had to do it again....In 2000 my dad got sick with cancer and sold his half to his brother...in 2004 my father passed and his brother shared the same fate and passed in 2006....My uncle had 2 daughters and were not interested in the car so it sat in his shop ever since...Recently they decided to sell the old home place and there was the car and in previous years I had expressed interest in it to try to complete it. Finally one day I got the call and I purchased the car from them and brought it home that was last Christmas and I have been working out of state so she has sat since then. So here is where my journey begins.

Now to the car itself the car is a frame off restoration...The car is complete lots of new parts and I have two tubs of new parts left to install...I would say she is at 85%. The drive train is all there and appears to be intact and I know they had it running but that's about all I know. I was out of state most of those years so I really don't know mechanically how sound it is but very clean. It appears a battery and fuel and she might just fire up with some tinkering. The car appears to be mostly original so far that I can tell except the front fenders and and running boards they still have the stickers on them...lol....It does need a complete interior which I'm about to order and paint...The paint part is what I'm confused about the most...The car sits now with black fenders and running boards but the rest of the car is primer grey...and all the trim is installed along with a new top and the lumber under the top...Typically I would think you paint prior to installing that top and completely installing all and everything on the car including the engine. If its a mock up to a paint job its the most elaborate one I've ever seen every body bolt on this thing has been replaced stainless steel and torqued. I just really wish I new what there thinking was to finish it... So your probably wondering where the question in all this is...its in the title...I'm brand new to these car's ....but I'm a fair hand with a wrench so I'm not scared either...any do's and don'ts with these cars and any particular manuals or books to help me with my journey that you guy's would recommend....Thanks in advance and any and all advice is welcome...
Blazer006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:01 PM   #2
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Where to start?

Since it has mostly sat since 1980, any fluids/grease/oil/coolant is most likely bad. And needs to be serviced/flushed/replaced.

Resist the temptation to hand crank, or try to start it without 1st doing the below.

Make sure the generator, distributor, and water pump are freshly lubed.

With the carb drained/no fuel supply, remove spark plugs, add a small amount of penetrating oil or ATF to each cylinder and hand crank it a few times over a few days.

Drain the oil, If the drain oil is lumpy/syrupy, or really nasty/milkish or rusty looking you should remove the valve access cover and drop the oil pan and clean them out. Remove the distributor, pour about 1/2 quart down the distributor hole (helps prime the main bearings). Then fill oil to full through the breather tube. Hand crank a few times without starting.

Flush/back flush the cooling system, then add an upper hose coolant filter.

Drain all gas out of tank, add fresh fuel.

Once started and running drain/replace; rear end, transmission, and steering box fluids. Do a grease job on the chassis.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:05 PM   #3
Dodge

Also look and see if there is a local Model A Club around you.The people in the club as well as here are a wealth of information.
Good luck post some pictures and get ready for some good fun. Welcome
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:05 PM   #4
30 Closed Cab PU

One last bit of info, before running re-torque the head with the coolant drained below the level of the head.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:07 PM   #5
Bill Cilker

It would be helpful to put your location. I would encourage you to join your local Model A Club. They will be a great resource to you. Next your should get the Restoration Guidelines from either of the national clubs (Model A Restorers club and Model A Ford Club of America). I will let others chime in about the painting.
Victoria Association President
Bill Cilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:07 PM   #6
Bill G

Welcome to the forum. It would be good if you could put your city, state in the bio so we can get an idea of where you are and what resources you are close to. One real BIG suggestion is to check out both MAFCA and MARC and see what Model A clubs might be in your location. The guys (and ladies) who have owned and rebuilt model A's for years and years are a real great resource and one that you should check out. Yes, it would have been a lot better to paint it before putting it all back together, but you have what you have, and I am sure you can get it all worked out in its current state. You say that "they" had it running, but that could have been years ago. You should probably make sure the running and braking part of the car is in good working order before proceding otherwise. A car that has been sitting for years and years usually needs some special work to get it up and running for the first time after a long nap. You can search this forum for lots of that stuff. Good luck!
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:01 AM   #7
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Here is the playlist of my YouTube videos that should help you with a few things.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...rIa0r_fFQcz4R0

Join MARC, or MAFCA and a local club. If you are not near a local club, you are welcome to join Oakleaf in Michigan. We have a few out-of-state members we try to help.

Our site: https://sites.google.com/site/oakleafregion/
Welcome to the A world.
You are about to have a lot of fun.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:37 AM   #8
Blazer006

Thanks guy's for the reply's and tips...I have already found the local club in Little Rock they meet once a month so going to a meeting and introducing myself is next month. As for the car I have already started soaking the cylinders with penetrating oil but have not tried to to turn it over yet by hand. The fuel tank is empty and I'm going to start flushing it to try to access its condition along with the radiator this week....The dist, water pump and generator lubing I'll have to research those to know how great info...I think the best plan of attack is getting everything "mechanically sound and drive able " seeing what I have and go from there with paint and then interior. I'll post a few pics so you can see what I have...Thanks again ya'll have been very helpful so far...
Old 08-27-2019, 11:03 AM   #9
Blazer006

Here's a couple of pics...hope this works...lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9040 - Copy.jpg (129.9 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9044 - Copy.jpg (244.9 KB, 175 views)
Old 08-27-2019, 11:15 AM   #10
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Don’t even think about buying an interior until you get much further along. Get it running like a top, and then think about the cosmetics.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:13 PM   #11
Chuck Dempsey

Welcome to the hobby.....
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:20 PM   #12
whirnot

Also check the mafca website there is a lot of good information available there. If you trace the serial number and find out when it was built, then you can find the correct colors, should you want to keep it correct. In later 1930 they went from only 4 choices to , I believe 7.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:39 AM   #13
Blazer006

Thanks for the tip on Vin...No worries Jackson cosmetics is a ways down the road for sure...the more I look the more I have to do..lol....Last night I removed the Radiator I'm taking it to my neighbor today he owns a radiator shop....going to get a good cleaning and check it for leaks...While that's going on I'm going to put some fuel in the tank and see what comes out to see what kinda shape its in....I can see already this is going to be very addictive...lol...I also ordered the Mechanics hand book seemed like a good choice I'm reading everything I can get my hands on right now...
Old 08-28-2019, 11:01 AM   #14
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Since it has mostly sat since 1980, any fluids/grease/oil/coolant is most likely bad. And needs to be serviced/flushed/replaced.

Resist the temptation to hand crank, or try to start it without 1st doing the below.

Make sure the generator, distributor, and water pump are freshly lubed.

With the carb drained/no fuel supply, remove spark plugs, add a small amount of penetrating oil or ATF to each cylinder and hand crank it a few times over a few days.

Drain the oil, If the drain oil is lumpy/syrupy, or really nasty/milkish or rusty looking you should remove the valve access cover and drop the oil pan and clean them out. Remove the distributor, pour about 1/2 quart down the distributor hole (helps prime the main bearings). Then fill oil to full through the breather tube. Hand crank a few times without starting.

Flush/back flush the cooling system, then add an upper hose coolant filter.

Drain all gas out of tank, add fresh fuel.

Once started and running drain/replace; rear end, transmission, and steering box fluids. Do a grease job on the chassis.
I agree with what 30 Closed Cab PU lists except I think I would drain oil, clean pan, etc. BEFORE adding ATF to cylinders and "hand crank it a few times over a few days" just so you ensure you have fresh oil to the bearings. Just my preference.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 08-28-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:35 PM   #15
Blazer006

Getting more done than I thought today and good news all the way around....Just got a call my radiator is done at the shop and he said it was in good shape to start with...but cheap insurance...I checked out my fuel tank on the car after pulling the cap looking in with a light...its a clean as a pin and has been lined...I flushed 5 gallons thru it anyway and didn't see a single piece of trash......I've done everything on 30 Closed Cab PU list with the exception of changing the oil....Its clean on the dip stick but getting changed anyway so that's getting done today as a bonus...plus pulling the pan just to know...but I already no its clean....Piece of mind thing...I'm getting close to start checking electrical stuff out...checking wiring cleaning the ground maybe adding one ....as far as the engine it seems to be turning over well.....It a possibility I might try to start this this weekend....who know's...I ordered points and condenser should be here Friday for a back up...I've already cleaned and re gaped the ones on the car.....Carb I'm not sure of just yet what to do with it just yet....probably wouldn't hurt to pull it off and clean it...
Old 08-28-2019, 01:05 PM   #16
Blazer006

One question I do have the filter you guy's mention for the cooling system? I've never heard of where do you put it? and where do you get it?
Old 08-28-2019, 04:16 PM   #17
30 Closed Cab PU

There are many different types of filters. The Gano filter is frequently mentioned/used, handy since you can see the filter for when it needs to be cleaned out.

The upper radiator hose is cut and sectioned out, and the filter inserted between the 2 pieces of the upper radiator hose. Here their website, use the clear one..

https://ganofilters.com/
Old 08-28-2019, 04:28 PM   #18
Blazer006

Thanks 30 Closed Cab...Looks like a good idea to me..No telling what will turn loose crud wise in the block that would stop up freshly cleaned radiator...More good insurance...
Old 08-28-2019, 05:37 PM   #19
Fred K-OR

BTW Les Andrews book 1 is a good one to get. It gives you basic stuff about an A. Most arts vendors carry it.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:39 PM   #20
Blazer006

Thanks Fred that's good new's cause that's the one I ordered...Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while... the tips I've been getting here from folks have been great. ...That book can't get here quick enough tho..lol. Fortunately my other hobbies experience is helping a bunch...I collect old Cub Cadet Garden tractors and old boat motors and restore them. I really can't wait till next month and go to the local club meeting and meet some folks there.