Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-20-2019, 06:44 PM   #41
Ranchero50

Default Re: Newbie '29 Speedster project, the good the bad and even the ugly (maybe)

So, this past Tuesday I took off work to get the RV moving forward. Pics of the process for your enjoyment...

Ranchero50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:49 PM   #42
Ranchero50

Lightbulb Re: Newbie '29 Speedster project, the good the bad and even the ugly (maybe)

So while waiting on a horizontal propane tank to show up I took a day to get back into the Speedster. I spent a couple hours today getting the kick panels and sub rails tweaked into position and went ahead and milled out a sheet of plywood for the floor.

Sketched out what I needed...

Drew it on the CAD program and plugged it into the mill...

And buggered the centerline so I had to run it twice.

Finally got to sit in it for a bit and I think this is really going to work out well.

I'm getting excited again. Hoping to have it driving by Christmas, maybe with a body.
Ranchero50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-25-2019, 09:41 PM   #43
Ranchero50

Default Re: Newbie '29 Speedster project, the good the bad and even the ugly (maybe)

Spent the evening screwing around with the speedster, literally. #6 self tappers are undersized for a 1/8" rivet so I've been using them instead to mock up the parts. I do need to predrill the holes with a 3/32" (I think) drill bit. Gonna be hundreds of rivets installed by the time we are done.

Finally a shot from behind the wheel. Yes, a new wheel is on the list.

If I can find out how long the radiator support rods are I can decide how much I can lay the cowl / firewall back and still have them work.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:37 AM   #44
Ranchero50

Googling around this morning it looks like 26' for the '28-31 and 32.5 for the '32-'36. That gives me a starting point at least. Looks like I'll need the later ones for my build.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:15 PM   #45
Ranchero50

Made some more progress on the car this past week. Both toe board sub structures are complete and fitted in. I still need to make the triangle braces below them and for the toeboard itself. There's about six hours of work wrapped up in each structure but I'm really happy with how they turned out.

I wanted to get the E brake handle bracket finished and mounted but got called into work at 3am this morning so...

More to come